The Tascam 388

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm

And did you check the cards to see if any were loose.Give them a light jiggle.Very carefully!!!!.
Im no electrical expert but I always like to look at circuit boards for any bad leaky capacitors.
If your willing to carefully pull the cards out and look them over,you might find a bad cap or cold solder joint.
Also,if you do decide to take the cards out,putting them back in could also
kick start something.I have heard of this happening many times.Just be very careful when putting them back in.Make sure the connectors line up exactly so you dont bend any of the pins.But I have to stress you have to be carefull when pulling these out and putting them back in.I have done it many times with mine.Easy does it.

hithere
studio intern

hey thanks

Post by hithere » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:24 am

thanks again j harv for all the help. Hopefully I get to skype with the previous owner today. I know this video is low lit, but it seems I have everything up correctly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmIyWfY5H-I

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 am

OK.
In that vid it now looks like your tension arms are up way too high.Looks like its threaded wrong.
Also I noticed when you were checking for signal you have a quarter inch cable plugged in.If you are plugging ino the 1/4 inch input jack the trim knob has no effect at all on that.
What you need to do is get an xlr cable and plug that into the mic 1 input on the back and preferably with a microphone check that.The trim knob will only affect that input.That is a preamp.
The regular 1/4 jack,you will need an external preamp to boost the signal to most likely register a signal.
So try the xlr jack with the steps I gave you.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:59 am

j.harv wrote:OK.
In that vid it now looks like your tension arms are up way too high.Looks like its threaded wrong.
Ok never mind what is said here.I just noticed you just turned the reels to add tension.So thats ok.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 pm

If you dont have an xlr cable,you can test the line inputs by using something like an electronic keyboard if you have one with 1/4 jacks.The preamp on the keyboard would boost the signal for the line level jack.
Just make sure the switch is set to line.
And again,if you are using an xlr cable make sure the switch is set to mic and use the trim knob for this.

Jason.

hithere
studio intern

hmm

Post by hithere » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 pm

tried it with my keyboard. nothing.

also mic input with a 57 was the first thing I tried, nothing.

just so puzzled I am being told that it is fine, when it seems that it is absolutely not. The only thing I can imagine is that the one fuse that looks iffy may be blown, but I am not putting all my hopes in that, since the owner said he never had fuse problems.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:10 pm

If the dbx is engaged but the indicator lights do not come on, it is likely that a fuse needs to be replaced. Also, that could be the reason your transport controls aren't working.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Tried to make out what bus you had engaged on the channel you were testing, but couldn't tell from the video. I assume you have bus 1-2 engaged and the pan pot turned to the leftmost position. Is that the case? Why not engage all the bus selectors on channel 1 and put the pan pot in the middle in order to test all the busses. Then try the same thing with channel 2 and so on.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Ok.Just to double check...You plugged a mic into the 3 pin XLR socket on the back.Set the switch to mic,turned up the trim,pushed 1/2 button down,made sure all red l/r buttons are up,turned pan fully left and pushed the rec 1 button. and nothing....

Also.Have you checked all 8 inputs?????

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:36 pm

OK, after enlarging the video, it seems to me that you have not selected a bus to send your signal. Please follow the steps outlined several posts earlier.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:42 pm

E.Bennett wrote:OK, after enlarging the video, it seems to me that you have not selected a bus to send your signal. Please follow the steps outlined several posts earlier.
Yeah...I was keeping a close eye on that too.But to my eyes it does look like he has the 1/2 button down.

But testing the line input for signal with a cable like that wont show any input.
I just tried it with mine and nothing.

hithere
studio intern

hey all fixed!!

Post by hithere » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:41 pm

thanks so much for the help guys

a fuse and other slight problem was the case. now everything is fixed, thanks so much guys excited to learn some more from you once I get my hands dirty with the manual and using the unit thanks!

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:28 am

GREAT!!! But..............Elaborate!!!!!

What was the "slight problem"????????

hithere
studio intern

hey

Post by hithere » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:16 pm

it was a blown fuse, and the cards/wires the fuses rest on must of came loose.

quick question. I have a mono drum track I want to take from my daw, and dump into a track on the 388, to use as a guide to overdub to.

My line 6 interface has line ins, and the tascam 388 has line outs on every channel, how exactly would I go about sending that mono drum track to record on the 388 so I could play to it as guide from the 388, thanks!

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:10 pm

I just recently recorded a drum machine track and scratch guitar track from my korg D1600 digital recorder to my 388 to use as a guide track.
I just went from the right master output fron the korg to a line in on the 388.Armed track 8 and recorded.Then I was able to play that back to listen to while I recorded drums,guitar bass etc... to the 388.