Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: The Tascam 388

Post by kslight » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:21 pm

wicknykids wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:01 pm
Heyy, first post here, thanks to everybody who's contributed to this thread in the past, I've read through all 37 pages of it. :worthy:

So I am borrowing a 388 from a friend who is "borrowing" it from his friend who probably forgot about it. This thing hasn't been used probably for at least 8 years, but possibly way more than that. I'm really not an electronics guy, I don't have a soldering iron or any way to test parts but I've done a bunch of preliminary contact cleaning on the insides as well as the heads and reseating the cards like this thread explains. I haven't yet done any swapping of the cards though.

At first it appears that all the tracks record my test tone except 4 and 7 but when I put the tape on backwards there is no playback on track 2 (which matches with 7) and also strangely track 4 (weird that track 5 plays what was recorded onto track 4 before...)

So track 4 DOES record but doesn't playback from tape and Track 7 doesn't seem to record but DOES playback from tape. This is this same whether I record using the mixer or use the PGM inputs in the back. Tape outputs demonstrate the same.

Do these problems ring bells with anyone? Any other tricks I can try before I either give up and use it as a 6 track for the time being or maybe try to find a willing tech in the Philly area?
Thanks for reading...
I have had two different 388s that had “channels not working” in one fashion or another, that ended up having a bad fader, that kind of sounds like what track 4 has. It’s a long shot...but it is a free easy thing to try that takes 10 minutes. Pull the bottom off, unscrew and unplug / swap fader with a known good channel.

You should also test whether either of the bad channels can record to a good channel, and vice versa..

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:37 pm

For reasons too embarrassing to be discussed anywhere I need a new pot for the Aux Master control. The model I need (an Alps Alpine PCB mounted 10K ohm A taper, 15mm D shaft) is no longer in production (though a 20mm version might be available, but I'd really rather have the right size if I can) so I'm reaching out in the hope that someone out there has one lying around.
WWRHS?

jacksaturn
studio intern

Post by jacksaturn » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Mark wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:37 pm
For reasons too embarrassing to be discussed anywhere I need a new pot for the Aux Master control. The model I need (an Alps Alpine PCB mounted 10K ohm A taper, 15mm D shaft) is no longer in production (though a 20mm version might be available, but I'd really rather have the right size if I can) so I'm reaching out in the hope that someone out there has one lying around.
Have you removed the original potentiometer yet? Would it be possible to take a picture of it and post it? Also let me know which PCB this pot appears on, and what it's part number is on the board, as listed in the Tascam 388 service manual. I'm on the hunt for rare potentiometers pretty frequently, so I may be able to help you.

Jack

Recursive Delete Audio/Visual
Portland, OR
https://recdel.com/

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:46 pm

Mark wrote:
I would say odds are good that you can scavenge a pot from a similar era Tascam mixer (model number escapes me). I used to have one, but sold it, sorry.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:46 am

jacksaturn wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 pm
Mark wrote:
Have you removed the original potentiometer yet? Would it be possible to take a picture of it and post it? Also let me know which PCB this pot appears on, and what it's part number is on the board, as listed in the Tascam 388 service manual. I'm on the hunt for rare potentiometers pretty frequently, so I may be able to help you.

Jack

Recursive Delete Audio/Visual
Portland, OR
https://recdel.com/
It broke off. Not going to go into details. No. It's on (or was on, when it was still attached) the monitor pcb. R101, parts no 5282014600, 1S1UVR 16, 10KA
WWRHS?