Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: The Tascam 388

Post by kslight » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:21 pm

wicknykids wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:01 pm
Heyy, first post here, thanks to everybody who's contributed to this thread in the past, I've read through all 37 pages of it. :worthy:

So I am borrowing a 388 from a friend who is "borrowing" it from his friend who probably forgot about it. This thing hasn't been used probably for at least 8 years, but possibly way more than that. I'm really not an electronics guy, I don't have a soldering iron or any way to test parts but I've done a bunch of preliminary contact cleaning on the insides as well as the heads and reseating the cards like this thread explains. I haven't yet done any swapping of the cards though.

At first it appears that all the tracks record my test tone except 4 and 7 but when I put the tape on backwards there is no playback on track 2 (which matches with 7) and also strangely track 4 (weird that track 5 plays what was recorded onto track 4 before...)

So track 4 DOES record but doesn't playback from tape and Track 7 doesn't seem to record but DOES playback from tape. This is this same whether I record using the mixer or use the PGM inputs in the back. Tape outputs demonstrate the same.

Do these problems ring bells with anyone? Any other tricks I can try before I either give up and use it as a 6 track for the time being or maybe try to find a willing tech in the Philly area?
Thanks for reading...
I have had two different 388s that had “channels not working” in one fashion or another, that ended up having a bad fader, that kind of sounds like what track 4 has. It’s a long shot...but it is a free easy thing to try that takes 10 minutes. Pull the bottom off, unscrew and unplug / swap fader with a known good channel.

You should also test whether either of the bad channels can record to a good channel, and vice versa..

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:37 pm

For reasons too embarrassing to be discussed anywhere I need a new pot for the Aux Master control. The model I need (an Alps Alpine PCB mounted 10K ohm A taper, 15mm D shaft) is no longer in production (though a 20mm version might be available, but I'd really rather have the right size if I can) so I'm reaching out in the hope that someone out there has one lying around.
WWRHS?

jacksaturn
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jacksaturn » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Mark wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:37 pm
For reasons too embarrassing to be discussed anywhere I need a new pot for the Aux Master control. The model I need (an Alps Alpine PCB mounted 10K ohm A taper, 15mm D shaft) is no longer in production (though a 20mm version might be available, but I'd really rather have the right size if I can) so I'm reaching out in the hope that someone out there has one lying around.
Have you removed the original potentiometer yet? Would it be possible to take a picture of it and post it? Also let me know which PCB this pot appears on, and what it's part number is on the board, as listed in the Tascam 388 service manual. I'm on the hunt for rare potentiometers pretty frequently, so I may be able to help you.

Jack

Recursive Delete Audio/Visual
Portland, OR
https://recdel.com/

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:46 pm

Mark wrote:
I would say odds are good that you can scavenge a pot from a similar era Tascam mixer (model number escapes me). I used to have one, but sold it, sorry.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:46 am

jacksaturn wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 pm
Mark wrote:
Have you removed the original potentiometer yet? Would it be possible to take a picture of it and post it? Also let me know which PCB this pot appears on, and what it's part number is on the board, as listed in the Tascam 388 service manual. I'm on the hunt for rare potentiometers pretty frequently, so I may be able to help you.

Jack

Recursive Delete Audio/Visual
Portland, OR
https://recdel.com/
It broke off. Not going to go into details. No. It's on (or was on, when it was still attached) the monitor pcb. R101, parts no 5282014600, 1S1UVR 16, 10KA
WWRHS?

loon34
audio school

Post by loon34 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:24 pm

first time forum user here. I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I haven't a clue about computers which is why I record to tape :alien:
Recently became owner of Tascam 388.
I’ve been really enjoying getting to know the machine and figuring out its functions which all seem to be working great! Everything seems to be running smooth, mixer working great, recordings sounding nice.
The ONE thing I notice is that when the capstan motor has been running for about 1/2 an hour (the right tension arm controls the on/off of the motor so whenever a tape is loaded, it’s on) it begins making a subtle clunking low knocking noise. When the motor is turned off the clunks slow down with the motor until it’s off. If I leave it off for a while, the clunk goes away, almost like it needed to rest for a bit until it was ready to be clunk free...
Important to note that even when clunking, all tape related functions appear to be running and totally fine. It’s not like the motor is slowing down or wavering or anything.
One thought I had was that after running a while, the motor or belt begin heating up and something starts clunking? This is what I’ve been scratching my head about. Could the motor need to be cleaned, lubed? Could it be belt related? Bearing related?
The kicker is that once it rests for a while, the clunk goes away. It takes around ½ hour of running before the clunk begins again.
Anyway, I hope that makes some kind of sense in writing.
I just don’t want to do anything that would damage the motor.
I have recordings of the sound but can't seem to figure out how to post them here :???:
thanks for any ideas anyone has!
-loon34

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 am

WWRHS?

loon34
audio school

Post by loon34 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:26 am

Capstan 2 (noise).zip
(82.45 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Capstan 1 (no noise).zip
(84.11 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:20 pm

The first file makes me think of a helicopter for some reason
WWRHS?

loon34
audio school

Post by loon34 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Yes! I’m glad the recordings are up there now. Yes, to me it almost sounds like a washing machine during the spin cycle... I ordered a new belt today and am going to see if that makes the noise go away. Please if anyone has any ideas let me know! -loon34

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:16 am

I don't know if you are the DIY type, but when was the capstan motor last lubricated? (also the reel motors) I'm not familiar with the 388, but If they are like other Teac AC asynchronous motors, they usually have oiling tubes for the front and rear bearings. If its a servo-controlled DC motors its a bit more tricky and they are prone to damage if you open the motor. Do your research and due diligence. If you're trying to keep an old reel to reel running, I highly recommend lurking over at Tapeheads.net
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:01 pm

Man, the aux/effect master volume pot for this thing is rarer than unicorn poop. It's almost like they can't exist outside the 388 (or any of the M-300 series mixers). The obvious place to go for Tascam spares (the Canadians) doesn't stock it, and the original manufacturer no longer produces a pot with those specs.

I am so frustrated that I'm thinking of ordering the 20mm version and getting the shaft professionally reduced to 15
WWRHS?

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:09 am

try tascam ninja, they have tons of parts/spares

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:03 pm

I decided I don't really need to fade out a mono headphone mix and ordered the 15mm audio log taper version :D
WWRHS?