The Tascam 388

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Johnny Nowhere
audio school

Post by Johnny Nowhere » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Note to Utah Blues: This guy has parts galore but perhaps not everything that you may need, still, worth a shot!

http://teactascamparts.com/
Johnny Nowhere is soul proprietor of
Hell Paving Company, music publisher
and ASCAP member.

Magnetic Media Rules!

jonobrienwaller
audio school

Post by jonobrienwaller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:03 pm

When I plug my mic in to the mixing board, I set the input to mic. I turn up the trim. I turn up the fader. Problem is ... I don't see any activity on the meter, but I do see the trim light overloading. It isn't until I assign channel 1 to other channels (or press left/right) that I get an sort of meter activity.

Shouldn't I just be able to plug it in and not have any assignments and see the level on the meter?

zorf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zorf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:14 am

Hey Shed,
I noticed you started another 388 thread
To consolidate all the repair type stuff .
It's already starting to get cluttered with random 388 questions.
Do you have a plan for keeping it organized?
dont turn around

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:44 am

jonobrienwaller wrote:When I plug my mic in to the mixing board, I set the input to mic. I turn up the trim. I turn up the fader. Problem is ... I don't see any activity on the meter, but I do see the trim light overloading. It isn't until I assign channel 1 to other channels (or press left/right) that I get an sort of meter activity.

Shouldn't I just be able to plug it in and not have any assignments and see the level on the meter?
The meters show signal for the bus outs and tape returns, so you would not see any meter action unless the channel was assigned.

zorf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zorf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:46 am

jonobrienwaller wrote:When I plug my mic in to the mixing board, I set the input to mic. I turn up the trim. I turn up the fader. Problem is ... I don't see any activity on the meter, but I do see the trim light overloading. It isn't until I assign channel 1 to other channels (or press left/right) that I get an sort of meter activity.

Not to be rude, but do you have the manual?

Shed: Why don't you put a link to the manual at the top of the fix-it thread.
maybe they can make it a sticky?
It would be nice if stayed a simple help resource.
dont turn around

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:03 am

zorf wrote:
Shed: Why don't you put a link to the manual at the top of the fix-it thread.
maybe they can make it a sticky?
It would be nice if stayed a simple help resource.
Agreed. Last year I started a new thread with just the repair/maintenance/FAQ info on one page. The manual link is the first link in that post, and I just enlarged it. And fwiw I just added the manual link to my first post in this thread. (Thank you "Snowfields")

This is the link to the "simplified" thread:

Tascam 388 Maintenance, Repair and FAQ thread

jonobrienwaller
audio school

Post by jonobrienwaller » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey all,

So I just picked up a 388 in Excellent condition from the salvation army for only $175! Just replaced all the fused. Cleaned the heads. Demagged. Bought brand new RMGI LPR35 reels of tape. The mixing board portion of the board works perfectly and the transport functions all work when there is no tape loaded, however when I load the tape, only the fast forward and rewind functions are working.

Any idea why it won't play/record?

Also, how do I use the tape lifter function properly?

Thanks, Jon

kinetic
audio school

Post by kinetic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:37 pm

jonobrienwaller wrote:Hey all,

So I just picked up a 388 in Excellent condition from the salvation army for only $175! Just replaced all the fused. Cleaned the heads. Demagged. Bought brand new RMGI LPR35 reels of tape. The mixing board portion of the board works perfectly and the transport functions all work when there is no tape loaded, however when I load the tape, only the fast forward and rewind functions are working.

Any idea why it won't play/record?

Also, how do I use the tape lifter function properly?

Thanks, Jon
Hi Jon,

What a score! I'd suggest your question is probably answered if you look back over this thread. There are a lot of instances of people with new 388's with transport problems like this.

Is the capstan motor spinning when you lift the right hand tension arm? If so, does it also spin while you have tape threaded?

If not, check the capstan belt by removing the bottom cover. Now is also a good opportunity to remove dust bunnies.

If the belt is good and the tension arm is activating the capstan motor, there are some tweaks you can make to the REEL SERVO PCB which are detailed somewhere back in this thread.

Happy reading.

jonobrienwaller
audio school

Post by jonobrienwaller » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:13 pm

thanks. i had read the entire thread 2 nights ago in preparation for when my tape arrived, but I forgot where the information was when I needed it.

I opened up the back ... ZERO DUST BUNNIES. This thing is minty. So stoked. However I did spot 2 leaky caps and the capstan belt had turned to mush.

So with what I've told you guys, here's the question: do I just muscle up and take it to tascam in Montebello and have them bring everything up to spec for a couple hundred bucks or should I try and order the capstan belt first and replace it myself. I don't feel comfortable changing the caps on my own. Is that something that needs to be addressed immediately?

I'll be doing a project on this in late august with my buddies from Young the Giant to record their side project. We're looking forward to using this machine.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Nice score indeed!!!
I would just order a newbelt.Its an easy install.
As for the caps,thats was something I have never tried until recently,but when I got around to having a go at it,it wasn't that hard.
A good soldering iron a solder sucker and some rosin core solder are all you'll need.
Check youtube for how to vids.

And the Young the Giant project sounds cool.
Would like to here what you come up with on the 388.

Good Luck.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:54 pm

zorf wrote:Hey Shed,
I noticed you started another 388 thread
To consolidate all the repair type stuff .
It's already starting to get cluttered with random 388 questions.
Do you have a plan for keeping it organized?
jonobrienwaller wrote:thanks. i had read the entire thread 2 nights ago in preparation for when my tape arrived, but I forgot where the information was when I needed it.

Well, the main reason I started the condensed Tascam 388 Maintenance, Repair and FAQ thread was to get the best info from this thread on one page, meaning the nuts and bolts stuff in one long post.

And in this thread you are currently reading, the first eight pages are laid out roughly to address particular aspects of the 388. (see below)
Bookmarking these individually and naming them after what is covered or useful to you will eliminate
a lot of jumping around trying to find things in future visits.

For Example:

Page:1.Albums/photos
Page 2.sound/build
Page 3.adverts/dbx
Page 4.repair
Page 5.maintenance/troubleshoot
Page 7.setup photos
Page 8.tape/mods

I have tried to add to these pages when something useful
comes up in the thread pages that follow,
though I've been taking a break on updating both of these threads for awhile now.

I'll look into the sticky idea Zorf. Not sure that the 388 is as universally worthy sticki-wise as the current mic reviews, 500 series manufacturers and stolen gear bulletin that exist there now.
Last edited by shedshrine on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kinetic
audio school

Post by kinetic » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 am

Just make sure the leaky caps you've found are actually leaky caps. I found some glued ones that looked suspect but it was just old glue and the caps were actually fine.

That said, I re-capped most of the boards (channel/control boards).

If you're not comfortable replacing the caps on your own take the thing to a tech, get it working/calibrated and make some music.

Find another piece of gear to re-cap first for practice...

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 am

Maybe a little off topic and discussed before elsewhere, but interesting in-depth discussion of the topic if you're so inclined.

Why no tape machine clones?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 am

REFINISHING:
Experiencing a creative lull? Tired of a Standard brown faced 388? (and who isn't!) looks in vain for tongue-in-cheek emoticon
"Studies" show that customers have noted marked increases in productivity
and idea quality after investing in studio feng shui enhancement.
The following, combined with proper deck placement can do just that for you.
The good folks at UnitedAudio.com can bring some bling to your deck with customized paint and reels.

(Click to Enlarge)

ImageImageImage

ithoughticouldrelate
pluggin' in mics

Post by ithoughticouldrelate » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIWMrK67_bk

Check out that beautiful sight on the left at the beginning of the video! (Phil Keaggy)