Fathead Ribbon Mic vs. Shiny Box Ribbon Mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

orbb
alignin' 24-trk

Fathead Ribbon Mic vs. Shiny Box Ribbon Mic

Post by orbb » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:12 am

The Fat Head was reviewed this issue, and the Shiny Box one or more back. Both in the same price range - under $200 for a basic model. Has anyone worked with both, such that they could offer an A/B comparison?

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:17 pm

I have this exact same question, thanks for posting it. :D

In addition, both the fat head and shinybox offer transformer mods. Do those transformers boost the output of the mic? I don't have very good mic pres atm, but I like the idea of using ribbon mics to counter the fact that my recording is done completly in my DAW. Better pres are on the list, but will those transformer mods help me get a decent level without tons of gain?

Thanks!

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm also wondering about this. I've been getting psyched up to buy a ShinyBox, but I already have a Cascade condensor mic which I like. So, it'd be nice to hear some more comments that might help me pick one over the other.

But, I bet, whatever the differences between the mics, they're both great deals and probably have between them more qualities in common than not.

Also, the ShinyBox forum has some info on gain requirements for ShinyBox ribbon mics.

2121TrumbullAve
gimme a little kick & snare

lame review

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:52 am

You have to admit, that Fathead ribbon review in this month's issue is pretty worthless.

With the only conclusion drawn in the article being "it made my digital tracks sound not so sterile!", this review comes off as a cheap advertisement. At least the word warm was used only twice.

That's sweet how you read a review, turn the page and BAM!! full color add for the product you just read about. Gotta be a coincidence...

PS - Bayview pro audio tapes Fat head mics to the bottom of frisbees and gives them away with every dozen guitar picks purchased...
*insert pricey DAW specs here

orbb
alignin' 24-trk

Re: lame review

Post by orbb » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:48 am

2121TrumbullAve wrote:You have to admit, that Fathead ribbon review in this month's issue is pretty worthless.

With the only conclusion drawn in the article being "it made my digital tracks sound not so sterile!", this review comes off as a cheap advertisement. At least the word warm was used only twice.

That's sweet how you read a review, turn the page and BAM!! full color add for the product you just read about. Gotta be a coincidence...

PS - Bayview pro audio tapes Fat head mics to the bottom of frisbees and gives them away with every dozen guitar picks purchased...
Are you the Shiny Box guy?

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:17 am

Dood,

I don't talk smack about other companies, period!

Now that we've got that straight, carry on.

Oh, I missed this one, sorry:
In addition, both the fat head and shinybox offer transformer mods. Do those transformers boost the output of the mic? I don't have very good mic pres atm, but I like the idea of using ribbon mics to counter the fact that my recording is done completly in my DAW. Better pres are on the list, but will those transformer mods help me get a decent level without tons of gain?
The transformer mods do not add significant gain to the mic, it's more about frequency response and tone. So you'll still need some decent, clean gain.

Regards

ju

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:04 pm

Shinybox mics are awesome. i've loved my 46c on everything i've tried it on (ac. guitar, female vocals, room, elec. guitar). i just grabbed one of the shockmounts he's offering now as well, and they're SOLID. really really nice. cool dude too, really helpful and quick to respond to any questions you have. highly recommended. i'll probably own 2 someday.

jon,

i was wondering if there's any difference tonally between the 46C and the newer 46MXC?

-Ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:10 pm

I don't see the spider shock mount on the site as an accessory only.
Was it reasonably priced?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:57 pm

UnlikeKurt wrote:I don't see the spider shock mount on the site as an accessory only.
Was it reasonably priced?
if you send Jon an e-mail through the contact section on the site, he'll send you a link to purchase just the shockmount via paypal. it was $30, plus shipping and handling. ended up being $40. also comes with a collar mount. the yolk is really easy to take on and off though, so you can continue using that when you're not using the shock-mount if you prefer that.

it's worth it. it's a really nice mount, and the collar mount is really heavy and sturdy as well. the mic looks sexy on there. :lol:

-Ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:28 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
i was wondering if there's any difference tonally between the 46C and the newer 46MXC?

-Ryan
Hey Ryan,

Yes, there are differences between the microphones (which is partly why I changed the model number).

The newer models have a different ribbon in them. The ribbon is of higher quality, but at the sacrifice of some gain.

If someone were looking at buying an additional microphone, and wanted them to sound the same, I'd suggest sending the mic they have back in to me, and I'll make them a matched pair( at no charge).

The end result was I had to make a choice between a ribbon that is made better (and will last longer), or a less stable, higher output ribbon. I landed on the quality side of the equation.

I've got my r&d hat on in this area, but don't have anything further to announce for now.

Hope this helps

Regards

ju

orbb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by orbb » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:52 am

fum wrote:Dood,

I don't talk smack about other companies, period!

Now that we've got that straight, carry on.

Oh, I missed this one, sorry:
The transformer mods do not add significant gain to the mic, it's more about frequency response and tone. So you'll still need some decent, clean gain.

Regards

ju
Didn't mean to impugn your character.

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:14 am

What's the difference between the shinybox 23 and the 46?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:15 am

fum wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:

-Ryan
Hey Ryan,

Yes, there are differences between the microphones (which is partly why I changed the model number).

The newer models have a different ribbon in them. The ribbon is of higher quality, but at the sacrifice of some gain.

If someone were looking at buying an additional microphone, and wanted them to sound the same, I'd suggest sending the mic they have back in to me, and I'll make them a matched pair( at no charge).

The end result was I had to make a choice between a ribbon that is made better (and will last longer), or a less stable, higher output ribbon. I landed on the quality side of the equation.

I've got my r&d hat on in this area, but don't have anything further to announce for now.

Hope this helps

Regards

ju
Thanks Jon.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:15 pm

If you are REALLY cheap like me and you want to try out the ribbon thing then get on ebay and search "Stellar" brand ribbon mics. They're basically identical to the group-buys and the Nady's only a lot cheaper and with extremely awesome customer service. the royer knock off is an amazing buy.

If you are cool though you'll probably get a shiny box.