Letter of Direction or Producer Contract?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Theron D
pushin' record

Letter of Direction or Producer Contract?

Post by Theron D » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:24 pm

Recently I produced/co-produced an album for an artist that signed a contract with a record label for a specific amount of points. The artist agreed that I would receive 3 points for my free engineering/studio time/session work/production. Should I do a "Letter of Direction" with the record label thus having the label redirect 3 points from the artist directly to me, or should I do a "Producer Contract", which would be a contract between the artist and myself? Or both just to cover all bases???? Any insight much much appreciated...

thanks
Theron D

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:39 pm

My experience with the same thing your asking is... get a lawyer.

I have a lawyer thru the same firm that Prince goes thru (these days - post Sony/Slave era) and over the last 9 years that I've been with them I've used less than my $500 retainer regarding contracts and advice.

If they use what you did and you're getting stuff from their lawyers... get a lawyer. Everything should be in writing, properly. I'd hate to see anyone, especially on a point system, just 'sign-away'. There are some worst-case scenarios that could happen like once two firms/contracts butt-heads, you could be left in the dust.

My question is:
Did they already sign a Major-Label contract before they recorded with you?

If so, there is a contact for production that both you and the band need to sign before-hand in order to secure your points and credit as a producer. There's no way you'd get producer/co-producer credit/points if it wasn't laid out in specifics.

If it's after-the-fact, ie - you recorded them THEN they got signed AND they and the label wanted to put out or use the tracks later.... retain a lawyer to look it over.

In the times that's it's come up for me, it was never against the friendship I had with the bad but once a label (especially a Major) were involved, that's when I looked out for my own ass, much like the band is looking out for their own ass = lawyers.

This kind of stuff isn't small-claims "Judge Judy" sorta stuff, this is the kinda stuff that'll pay off for decades.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Letter of Direction or Producer Contract?

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:08 pm

Theron D wrote:Recently I produced/co-produced an album for an artist that signed a contract with a record label for a specific amount of points. The artist agreed that I would receive 3 points for my free engineering/studio time/session work/production. Should I do a "Letter of Direction" with the record label thus having the label redirect 3 points from the artist directly to me, or should I do a "Producer Contract", which would be a contract between the artist and myself? Or both just to cover all bases???? Any insight much much appreciated...

thanks
Theron D
Is there a major label at the heart of this?

Do they have a legal team? If so, you need one too. If you are in Los Angeles, Jeffrey Lyght would be a good guy to have on your team.