Mutron repair

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Mutron repair

Post by the brill bedroom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:31 pm

Who in the world could fix my Mutron Phaser? i bought it from a drummer named Andy Kravitz in Philly on craigslst. If anybody knows Andy, thank him for the broken phaser and tell him to enjoy my $125. The knobs broken off at the surface should have clued in even a drummer that it was busted. Ahh, live and learn, right?

Anybody know who in the world would do work on this beastie? It's got a wicked hum and no deiscernable phased signal coming out. It has to be more than a $125 paperweight.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:53 pm

Corin, even though I'm too busy to do it, and I have four other repairs/custom pedals on my bench promised to people I like even more than I like you, I will look at it for you when I meet up with you this week. I have fixed three MuTron Phasor IIs in the last ten years. Maybe I can salvage your's.

Roger

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:05 am

If all else fails, the repair guy here:

http://www.parkwaymusic.com/

has done great work on other Mu Tron stuff.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:09 pm

it's really time to clone Rogre- he's got way too much stuff that he's good at.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Try www.ronsound.com

That guy has repaired several pedals for me over the years, does great work, and is reasonibly priced.

Howard Davis of Electro-Harmonics fame might be able to take care of it for you as well.

I had the misfortune of doing a deal with Andy Kravitz of Philly as well. The item that he said was "mint" was in rough condition and it wasn't even the model he had stated. He tried numerous attempts to keep from refunding my money, even flat out begging "I've got kids. The money is gone." But threatening small claims court (I would have been happy to follow through) prompted him to refund my money. I got it back; every cent including shipping BOTH ways.

In my case I had e-mails that documented he was in the wrong, I immediately shipped it back packed and inventoried by a shipping service, and insisted on a refund. Since I had paid with a personal check I had his checking routing number printed on the back of my cancelled check. NY state small claims lets you file in either the buyers or sellers state. If I filed here and he was a no-show it would have been an automatic judgement in my favor. Getting the cashback would have been straight forward since I had his bank info. In the end I didn't have to go to court. Threatening legal action was enough.

If you feel he was dishonest and have the documentation to back it up do what I did. Otherwise contact RonSound or Howard Davis for repair.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Sadly, my transaction with him was through Craigslist and the link expired, so I didn't even have a way to get in touch with him. I misplaced his phone number, but I dunno, i didn't really expect to have to chase some dude around about a phaser, you know? It's funny, I asked a frined of mine from Philly if he knew him and mentioned that he had sold me a phaser and he said "I don't have his number anymore, but let me guess, he sold you gear that doesn't work." He knew all about him. What a great reputation to have, eh?

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:15 pm

He occasionally posts on the New York Craigslist too. I recently inquired about some tube broadcast limiter but as soon as I got the response and saw it was him I dropped it like a hot rock.

"Untested" Right... You mean broken.