Proper Drum mixing queries..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vintageblue
alignin' 24-trk

Proper Drum mixing queries..

Post by vintageblue » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:16 pm

I'm just curious if there is a real "right way" and "wrong way" to pan the drums/cymbals.

The drummer for a band I'm recording wants the cymbals & drums panned from his point of view, and I'm more familiar w/panning them from the audiences pov.

Does it really matter whether the ride is on the left and hi-hat on the right? or is it just personal preference?

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:22 pm

Just pretend he's left handed, then you're both right.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:38 pm

I dont think it really matters, if it makes the client happy do it his way. For me, if im doing stereo drums i usually have it from the drummers perspective. but sometimes i do it from the audiences. I guess it really varies.

-Chris

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:01 pm

Well...in the end, if it really bugs the drummer, you can always just flip the left and right of your entire mix. Having said that, I almost ALWAYS mix from drummers perspective as that is where the overhead mics are looking and it makes it easier for me to postion stuff in the stereo field.

What's more important is the relationship of other stuff to the drums, so flipping the panning on the drums late in the mix is a bad news. An example would be a tune with live drums and an acoutic guitar: Typically, placing an acoustic guitar opposite the hi hat works well as they usually play the same divisions and *roughly* share the same frequency range in the listener's ear. If you just flip the drums, the hat would then be sitting ontop of the guitar.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:42 pm

There isn't a solid rule to follow. It's one more decision that you make that may add some little magic to the end result. I like to think of it as one more way you influence the listener's experience: do they get to hear what the drummer hears, and share some of the experience of actually being the drummer, or do they get to hear something thats like being in the audience? The values of the overall production may dictate one versus the other.

The drummer is the guy who will be the most polarized about it...if his is the only really passionate opinion about it, then do it his way. As a drummer, it really screws me up to hear my kit panned any way other than my own perspective. But recording other drummers, I don't follow any particular rule...

Live At Leeds and old Motorhead is panned audience perspective.
Last edited by The Scum on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrclean
pushin' record

No "correct" way...

Post by mrclean » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:49 pm

I'm a right handed drummer and prefer mixes to be from audience perspective...but it really is up to you and your drummer to decide.

If you're used to doing it your way - try it his way and maybe you'll learn something new.
-- mrclean

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:16 pm

bobbydj wrote:Just pretend he's left handed, then you're both right.
LOL!
awesome idea.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:14 pm

It seems right in principle to mix from audience perspective, but it always sounds wrong to my ears, so i pretty much always mix from drummer's perspective.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:31 am

As somebody who can't even hold a drumstick properly, let alone play, I've always found it kind of cool when records are mixed from the drummers perspective.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:02 am

Rigsby wrote:It seems right in principle to mix from audience perspective, but it always sounds wrong to my ears, so i pretty much always mix from drummer's perspective.
this is exactly my dilemma. i say to myself, "well, i'm the drummer.....why would i mix from my perspective? surely it should be the other way..."

then i just sit there going, "why the hell is the ride over there? what am i doing"

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:44 am

When I recorded my former group, I always mixed the drums from the audience perspective. Drummers always liked the recordings, though, because he's left handed, so it was to their perspective as right-handed drummers. It was something I hadn't even really considered before then.

More recently, my own drum mixing has become more mono than it used to be, but I've still been mixing to audience perspective mostly. Like anything, it depends on what's going on with the rest of the mix.

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:16 am

I've done it both ways as a drummer, and I always ask the client what he wants in terms of perspective. I don't feel it matters that much either way...
Blah!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:07 am

I imagine that for 99.9% of listeners they wouldn't even notice, much less care, from which perspective the drums are mixed. And, like Johnny B, my drum mixes have become much more mono, relying on room mics to provide a sense of space.

My thinking is: unless you are the drummer you're not going to hear drums in a stereo spread anyway. When you're listening to a drum kit from a reasonable distance, you're hearing more of a single instrument with multiple timbres than multiple instruments.

Ultimately, of course, it's up to your client.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:54 pm

As the resident expert on all subjects around here, let me just say there is ALWAYS a right and wrong way to record, mix and make sweet love to a woman.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:01 pm

I like audience perspective. Of course I have recorded a few left handed drummers, that makes the decision even more fun!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity