My wonderful teacher

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:44 pm

I'm old enough to use the look back function in my OS. When I scroll thru the files, I see that the only teachers that made a difference in my life made me think. I'm not sure polling a site for an answer is the same thing, but it might be worth 1 point in a pop quiz IF I was your instructor, AND you bought enough beer to convince me to give you that point. Still, when I woke up, I might just flunk your ass for trying to bribe me and wasting my time.
There are no stupid questions, but that one is pushing the envelope.
mrc

ramchandra
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ramchandra » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:51 am

The question was crap and so is the class. We have now had two assignments where we create a story out of sound clips. The only difference between the two assignments is that on the second we have to fade it in and out. And there is no teaching involved. If someone needs an answer he wants us to use a "User Forum".

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:40 am

what is school about, his teaching or your learning? isn't he there to facilitate your learning experience, not hand you the answers? what would be more valuable? he may suck as a teacher, but what are you teaching yourself in this environment? fast forwarding through the syllabus? speeding through the text? asking the senior level students what they valued? experimenting with the software and hardware if you've done your hmk? the possibilites you have in front of you combined with the *time* you have now is something you might never get again- expolit it. use your imagination if you prof is not.
drew

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:30 pm

RodC wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote:
RodC wrote:Then I would get a new teacher, cause I dont recall seing a marker in any audio file I have edited. :lol:
Some editors, like Sound Forge, can have markers - saved in a meta file, but associated with the audio file when re-opened in SF.
Sound Designer II saved region pointers in the resource fork of the file, IIRC.

Just sayin'. :)
Still havnt found one that actualy modifys the audio file. This is where a lot of ppl get lost. They really need to know where their data is so they can avoid such things as destructive editing. It also helps when you go to transfer your projects from one type of DAW package to the other.

I can remember someone on another board opening up a wav file in an editor and they wondered why all the things they changed in their DAW software wasnt there........... Imagine that. LOL
Agreed. In all reality it makes little sense to modify the file iteself unless some metadata was added to a special area - like in the case of SDII files...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:22 pm

RodC wrote:Then I would get a new teacher, cause I dont recall seing a marker in any audio file I have edited. :lol:
the wav file format does allow for markers to be written into the wav header. I write all markers into the wav hearders of our preservation files here at work (audio archiving engineer for indiana university). We also keep the .mrk files that wavelab creates, but those are proprietary to wavelab.

best,
mike

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:52 pm

ah... headers... metadata...

Now, what apps utilise such headers? I'm curious...

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:55 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote:ah... headers... metadata...

Now, what apps utilise such headers? I'm curious...
well, wavelab does for sure, so im sure nuendo and cubase do too. And im pretty sure that sound forge does. And I bet it would work in Samplitude, but i haven't checked. I remember taking an SDII class years ago and we saved markers into the header for a project, which were opened in SDII and in ProTools.

Regardless, for our needs what is important is that the data is written into the file, and it will always be there. It would be relatively simple to write a program to extract that data in an emergency. What's convenient is requires less file management (which is a big deal when archiving) and also makes my workflow easier.

Although it doesn't haven't to specifically do with markers, the Broadcast Wav (bwav) format writes metadata into the header and is supported by all the professional software companies. We use the bwav headers to store specific metada for all our files which includes a description of the file, the call number of the reel it was transfered from, the origination date and the coding history (signal flow and processing). Bwav files can also store time stamp information which is very useful for multitrack projects. I really wish software companies would spend more time integrating bwav because it could make importing wav files into various programs a lot easier.

mike

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:20 am

Thanks... not that I was naysaying, but just thought the information could be helpful in the thread.

Sound Forge saves it's regions and markers in a separate proprietary file, as far as I know...

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:10 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote:Thanks... not that I was naysaying, but just thought the information could be helpful in the thread.

Sound Forge saves it's regions and markers in a separate proprietary file, as far as I know...

i think sound forge will read/import the markers written into a wav file. I'm not 100% sure though. As far as writing, i don't know.

To write them in wavelab you have to select the option in a menu.

mike

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:48 am

I love the markers in Soundforge. Drop, drop, drop. Special-> Markers to regions, Tools-> extract regions. Blam! You gotcha an album. I don't trust the math in SFSF as much as Wavelab, so if I'm doing processing upside of a normalization, I go elsewhere for it. But for chopping files, ain't nothin' better.