Haunted Recording Studios

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:52 pm

Last edited by ??????? on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:03 pm

Pretty interesting stuff, I always wonder if I might pick something up.

I know that if you feel like someone is watching you might be explained by a high EMF (electric magnetic field). If wiring and stuff is screwed up it will give off higher EMF and I guess screws with your head. You can get readers which promote them for ghost hunting.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:15 pm

there's a house on the corner of the street where my parent have lived since 1988 that was the scene of a multiple homicide in the 70s and it's supposed to be very haunted.

not 300 feet north of there is also an intersection that was the location of literally hundreds of spectacular multiple fatality car wrecks in the 50s and 60s before signal lights were installed and i remember seeing some mysterious person-shaped shadows moving about there with my friends when we were kids on our bikes out late at night (that was the 70s and early 80s, so it was still kinda safe in our town).

oh, and at that same intersection is a house that was built on the foundation of an older house that burned when i was a baby, killing the entire family...that one has the most notoriety as a haunted house in my old neighborhood.

my dad researched some of this for fun about 15 years ago, i should dig it up.

i'm not sure what i believe about all of this, but it's pretty entertaining for the most part.

i'm sure if i'd had some sort of up close and personal experience i'd be much more freaked out and serious about it.

but i REALLY don't need the extra drama in my life! :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:00 pm

I have not had so many experiences with places. Mainly dreams where dead people or just evil or sometimes good spirits are around. Those can be pretty disturbing. I have found a way to deal with them by kind of controlling the dreams. If you really have problems with reoccuring nightmare spirits then PM me and I will tell you what I do.

Uh .. I DO have a history of mental illness but nothing major, that was ten years + ago. Now I am plenty sane and still these things persist.

One time while I was a Fela Kuti came to me in a vision while I was playing drums to one of his tracks. He was made of fire and behind bars. He told me "don't go my way" I interpret his message often. I figure if he went through all of the trouble to show up and tell me something I should at least give him some thought. I was high though at the time. Smoking the jane.

One time a friend that died on my 20th birthday came to me in a dream and told me a bunch of stuff. He mentioned a kid from a neighboring small town. They knew each other as they were both wrestlers. A couple weeks later he was sitting in the back of a pickup truck followed closely by another car. They hit a bump and he flew out of the pickup truck and was killed by the following car.

In my family I believe that this weird shit comes from my grandmas side on my fathers side. I am not a mystic or anything like that. I think that if you are receptive to this stuff you really can't give it much credence. To do othewise is to embrace craziness and you dont want to go that way.
I'm a bad man!

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:20 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:man, this sleep paralysis business is an awful lot like the one time i smoked salvia...
My sleep paralysis story is pretty boring but I'm bored.
When I was about 17, I woke up one night and all the lights we're off and I simply could not move for what felt like several minutes. Couldn't breathe speak or anything. Once it passed, I was completely normal.
On a seemingly unrelated note, I had been taking acid that day but by the time I woke up paralyzed, I was no longer high.

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:30 am

hiddendriveways wrote:I'm curious what paranormal investigators use gear wise, specifically audio wise. Anyone up with this?

i've wondered that myself and have looked but they never say or they tell you what they use but aren't specific about the gear...

i'm curious as to what mics they use and what they do to the recordings once they 'catch' something...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:07 am

Isolation wrote:
hiddendriveways wrote:I'm curious what paranormal investigators use gear wise, specifically audio wise. Anyone up with this?

i've wondered that myself and have looked but they never say or they tell you what they use but aren't specific about the gear...

i'm curious as to what mics they use and what they do to the recordings once they 'catch' something...
loop them and sit around listening to them whilst smoking salvia.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:09 am

i usually do that already except replace salvia with borax...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:04 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
ipressrecord wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:man, this sleep paralysis business is an awful lot like the one time i smoked salvia...
:D One time?
once was PLENTY.
worms flew out of my face the one time i did it.

The sleep paralysis thing has come up before. I lived in a run down party house on capital hill, we called it Hell House. I would regularly awake to the "sleep paralysis" situation. I"d also hear footsteps from a small child running back and forth upstairs and no one there had children(i lived in the scary ass basement). Luckily, sometimes, whoever was sharing my bed with me at the moment heard them too, so then maybe i wasn't going crazy. The funny thing though, if it was sleep paralysis, then all my roommates (there were 5 of us at the time) and their lovers had it too, because we were all occasionally waking up with that feeling of being held down and suffocated. We started to see a pattern, when we'd have after-hours parties and have a bunch of dumbass people or negative energy in the house, the ghost would get pissed and start smothering us.

or maybe, we were all just snorting too much cocaine and drinking way too much booze and not really living healthy lifestyles and that caused it all?

naaaaaaa.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:39 am

Actually, the real explanation is you were all getting in touch with your inner... uh... weirdo?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Signalflow
audio school graduate

Post by Signalflow » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:21 am

Good time of year for this thread. :D
"Wow, this EQ is amazing!"
"It might be more amazing if you take it out of bypass"

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Speaking of...
2008!

Anybody got any new stuff?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:55 pm

I know it's Halloween when Chris rehashes this topic. :D

My old house in Illinois (so, my de facto "studio") was the scene of an accidental murder in the early part of the 20th century...a young boy shot his cousin, a 12 year old girl, in the head with a rifle he thought was unloaded. Near where the shooting occurred, I'd notice that two candleholders would always be moved from the spot I placed them on an antique table - if I placed them back against the wall, they'd be moved forward away from it later that day, and if I moved them forward, they'd end up against the wall. Weird.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:22 pm

mjau wrote:I know it's Halloween when Chris rehashes this topic. :D

My old house in Illinois (so, my de facto "studio") was the scene of an accidental murder in the early part of the 20th century...a young boy shot his cousin, a 12 year old girl, in the head with a rifle he thought was unloaded. Near where the shooting occurred, I'd notice that two candleholders would always be moved from the spot I placed them on an antique table - if I placed them back against the wall, they'd be moved forward away from it later that day, and if I moved them forward, they'd end up against the wall. Weird.
time to set up the candles and turn on the video camera!

and don't forget to make a good audio recording, while you're at it.

i'm happy to say that the house where my wife and kids and i live seems to be totally unhaunted.

i think it helps that this house is only 50 years old (built in 1958) and we're the second owners.

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:30 pm

i forget how i heard about this studio a couple years ago but I can't see how this place couldn't be haunted.

http://www.myspace.com/thefuneralhomestudio

I want to do a session there so bad but alas i am in NJ and haven't got the cash to go record out of state (yet).

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)