Haunted Recording Studios

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:02 pm

Oh yeah- re:Lovecraft- the Shadow Over Innsmouth freaked me out first time I read it. And someone, even though Antarctica isn't so mysterious anymore, should make a film of At the Mountains of Madness. that'd be pretty awesome.
I like pie.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:26 pm

j_howell wrote:Oh yeah- re:Lovecraft- the Shadow Over Innsmouth freaked me out first time I read it. And someone, even though Antarctica isn't so mysterious anymore, should make a film of At the Mountains of Madness. that'd be pretty awesome.
Guillermo Del Toro is gonna make "At the Mountains of Madness" after he finishes making "The Hobbit" for Peter Jackson.

here's the latest!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:19 pm

This sounds AWESOME!!!

Del Toro makes some great films, I think he could pull ATMOM off...it'd be hard to do it right, but man, it'd be amazing if it was done right! Anyway...how'd we get off on this tangent again?

Here's a good tie-in to recording: how would one do the piping, musical speech from the story? I'm curious as to how anyone else "hears" it internally when they read it...that was one of the things that really did for me with that one.
I like pie.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:24 pm

i'd be bummed if it sounded at all electronic.

i always imagined the sound of goopy beef gelatine pan pipes used as a talk box.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:10 pm

I can't say I buy into any of this haunting stuff. I spent Halloween at one of the most evil places in America--according to some accounts--and I can't say I was the least bit rattled. A friend of mine owns the Exorcist House in St. Louis and has a party every year. I spent a bunch of time in the room where the exorcism was started including some time in there by myself. It was not scary in the least. A radio show did a broadcast from there a few days before and they recorded all sorts of EVPs and they had contestants in there freaking out. It's funny how people can get in their own heads and create reactions to stimuli that don't exist.

As an amusing aside, the room is used as a weight room, so my friend "exercises" in there.

Read about the househere.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:50 am

EVP is nonsense.

*dons Nomex suit and armour*

EDIT: btw, i love this thread!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:50 am

RefD wrote:EVP is nonsense.
I agree.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:14 am

bumping this just to point y'all to this thread on PSW:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index. ... /0/0/7683/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:19 am

groovy!

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:29 am

SoulOfJonas wrote:i forget how i heard about this studio a couple years ago but I can't see how this place couldn't be haunted.

http://www.myspace.com/thefuneralhomestudio

I want to do a session there so bad but alas i am in NJ and haven't got the cash to go record out of state (yet).

-JV
My band recorded an ep there right when I first started playing with them. It is a really cool place, awesome vibe. And yes, there is probably a dead person in the basement. I never asked him if he had haunting experiences though.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm

Well, it's October, 2009. Time to bring this thread up again. Anyone got anything else good?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

DevlinC
audio school

Post by DevlinC » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:51 pm

Only that I read somewhere recently that the location of a lot of reported ghost sightings was checked out, and some enterprising fellow noticed that there was an inaudible sound around 17-19Hz that was causing eye vibration, which in turn caused the ghost sightings. The source of the problem was found and fixed, and there have been no sightings since!

The lesson here is to always high pass around 30Hz, lest you cause your listeners to be visited by spirits.

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:09 pm

I had a dream of a weird old man in a black trenchcoat in my kitchen the other day. In the dream I had a Vic Firth general drum stick (it might have been a bolero though) and I chased that scared old man out of my kitchen. He was at least as scared as I was. He looked like a kind of bespeckled Ron Howard, and he was balding.

Just a dream though not a sighting.

That's it for more than a year. It's nice to be paranormal incident free. I feel healthy and connected now. Its all good baby. Only good spirits here, and they leave as soon as I am done tracking.
I'm a bad man!

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Funny. Just last night - sitting in my brand spanking new basement space...

It's a terrifying basement. Really big, totally unfinished brick and dark wood - there's a corner we affectionately call the "snuff film corner." Complete with a 2x2 hole in the brick wall that goes into some dark, tomb-like area that doesn't exist on the blueprints.

The 'live area' has been drywalled a bit - and absorption hung and it's all nice and well lit and vibey with cool paintings and trinkets. However - behind two hanging panels of mineral wool - is the 'control room.' Which has nothing but crudely made absorption panels and brick and a single dangling light. When you sit at the desk - you have your back to the snuff corner - which is about 20 feet behind you and obscured by brick wall.

So - last night was my first night with all my toys up and running - and i'm down there making new cables and getting signals flowing where I want and listening to all my favorite 'reference' albums. Totally lost in the exciting prospects of a new space to record.

At about 3 or so in the morning - out of nowhere. Something bumps into my chair. Not a small nudge or brush-up. My chair moved about a foot and a half. I turn around and of course - there's nothing there... But i'm staring directly into the unlit snuff corner of a 100+year old house...

I had to go upstairs - wake up the dog - coax him to come downstairs with me just so I could turn off the lights and power before going to bed. This was just the first of many long nights down there... I need to get more pets or something.

The moral of the story - don't build your control room so your back is to the creepy, dark corner with an open entrance to a mausoleum.
tra la la

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:21 pm

You have the blueprints for your 100 year old house? How did that happen?