Haunted Recording Studios

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:23 am

I am a total skeptic, though I have been around some folks who have experienced some weird stuff, including my brother who experienced the effects of sleep paralysis and swears that something was holding his down in bed, choking him. Frightening, yet easily explained through sleep paralysis. My folks have a 206 yr old farm house, so of course when orbs turn up in pictures etc it's explained as "ghosts", though it's dust on the lens etc. My mom swears that she has heard footsteps going up and down the attic stairs, and our older neighbors told my mom that the guy who passed away int he house in the 1950s or 1960s used to keep his booze up there. I've never experienced any of it and believe that folks' imaginations can get the best of them.

However, though I am a skeptic who doesn't really believe in ghosts or the like (when you're dead you're, well... dead), I have experienced the Brown Mountain Lights first hand. Folks still can't really explain it. When I saw them there were dozens of flashes, orbs, etc. Pretty amazing.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:16 am

wow, I'd never heard of sleep paralysis as a medical condition. It's happened to me several times. Of course, they say irregular sleep cycles is a possible cause, which in my case makes sense.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:16 am

Not exactly studio related, but here's my 'sleep paralysis' experience:

I was living for a time with a friend and his girlfriend, staying in their spare bedroom. One night I had a very clear 'dream' (actually at the time I wasn't sure if I was asleep, awake or somewhere in between). In my dream I was lying in bed in that very room, it was exactly like reality, which is WEIRD for my dreams. At the foot of the bed and to the left side, there was a figure standing. I could not tell if it was male or female but I sensed it was female. It was a dark color and had no face, just a grey oval. It was almost more like a shadow or outline of a figure. It had a pointed shape to the 'head', as if it either was hooded or had long, flowing hair that obscured the shape of the head itself. I was extremely agitated by the presence of this figure and was trying in my dream to yell at it to go away. In my dream I knew it was a ghost. But, as with sleep paralysis, forming words was impossible, it was like I had suffered a stroke, couldn't control my mouth and voice. I was trying so hard to yell words but couldn't, just garbled, muted noises came out. Finally I woke up and was freaked out by the fact that except for the figure being gone, the bedroom and setting was exactly as my dream had been.

A couple weeks later I was home with only my friends' girlfriend and I remembered the dream and told her about it. She freaked out because roughly around the date I had my dream, she had been awakened by my friend thrashing in bed and yelling "Get out of here!", as if he was upset at someone. When she woke him up, he described the same thing I had seen! When he got home I asked him about it and he remembered the dream and described to me almost exactly what I had seen in my dream! Even down to the fact that the figure was at the foot and to the left of his bed. Crazy stuff.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:30 pm

I had a sleep paralyisis episode at my old studio...
I was crashing on the couch in the control room and I woke up in the middle of the night to see someone walking around the end of the couch, turn towards me and sit on my chest. I couldn't move at all and I was having a hard time breathing, and I couldn't make a sound.Scared the living shit out of me. I never thought the place was haunted, though.

My house isn't haunted either-- despite the fact that the guy who built the house died in a fire started in the master bedroom, and the fact that the widow of the second owner left his military-issued grave marker in the garage after he died. You'd think something would happen! Sheesh.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:01 pm

man, this sleep paralysis business is an awful lot like the one time i smoked salvia...

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:04 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:man, this sleep paralysis business is an awful lot like the one time i smoked salvia...
:D One time?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:14 pm

JASIII wrote:At the foot of the bed and to the left side, there was a figure standing. I could not tell if it was male or female but I sensed it was female. It was a dark color and had no face, just a grey oval. It was almost more like a shadow or outline of a figure. It had a pointed shape to the 'head', as if it either was hooded or had long, flowing hair that obscured the shape of the head itself. I was extremely agitated by the presence of this figure and was trying in my dream to yell at it to go away. In my dream I knew it was a ghost. But, as with sleep paralysis, forming words was impossible, it was like I had suffered a stroke, couldn't control my mouth and voice.
I had a similar experience. Not as detailed about the description though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:man, this sleep paralysis business is an awful lot like the one time i smoked salvia...
:D One time?
once was PLENTY.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:49 pm

I thought this was about soundcraft!?
Everything louder than everything else.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:09 am

Halloween's coming up, folks. Any more good stories?

Not that it's studio-related, but I just found out that the house I bought a couple of months ago is very close to two of the most haunted houses in this county.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:21 pm

my only sleep paralysis experience was brought about by being dosed up with Seroquel by my Neurologist.

which is weird cos it's not among the known side effects, but this repeated two times in a row so there it is then.

apart from being unable to move or talk, there was nothing else weird going on...certainly no ghosts or anything, just my wife walking around doing stuff and looking a bit peeved that i wasn't getting up.

i later described to her what she'd been doing and she told me i'd recounted all her activities almost exactly.

i DO have an uncle who lived in an illegal basement apartment in Queens back in the 90s and had 3 ghosts living with him.

i recall him saying that when they appeared there was usually nothing spectral about them, they seemed as solid as anyone else.

they would linger continuously for hours or days at a time and occasionally he would wake up to see one or more of them had been watching him in his sleep.

they would also straighten the place up while he was out, tho he only ever saw the after-effects and not the actions that produced this.

i know when he moved to Manhattan one of them (i think it was a little girl) followed him but then vanished apparently permanently after 9/11.

i should also mention that this uncle of mine has no history of mental illness, either.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:40 pm

RefD wrote:
i DO have an uncle who lived in an illegal basement apartment in Queens back in the 90s and had 3 ghosts living with him.

i recall him saying that when they appeared there was usually nothing spectral about them, they seemed as solid as anyone else.

they would linger continuously for hours or days at a time and occasionally he would wake up to see one or more of them had been watching him in his sleep.

they would also straighten the place up while he was out, tho he only ever saw the after-effects and not the actions that produced this.

i know when he moved to Manhattan one of them (i think it was a little girl) followed him but then vanished apparently permanently after 9/11.

i should also mention that this uncle of mine has no history of mental illness, either.
Damn, that's really wild. Especially that they seemed solid.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:14 pm

JASIII wrote:Especially that they seemed solid.
That's not too uncommon. Apparently, one of the ones near my house appears solid. I'm hoping to see him in the window of the old estate.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:03 pm

Last edited by ??????? on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:10 pm

were you drinking the tap water, brad?

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/