Haunted Recording Studios

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:32 am

AnalogElectric wrote:
Kevin Kitchel wrote:Find me a studio that ISN'T haunted.
Yeah... even when I was working the AmRep building the guys were trying to freak me out (didn't work). The building had offices on the top floor and the studio was in the basement. It was an old medical clinic and they were trying to convince me that the basement was once a morgue... whatever, haha.

-- Adam Lazlo
The Ghost of Tim Mac

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:04 pm

klangtone wrote:but that won't explain the tapping on the window.
Quoth the raven, "nevermore."

Cheers,
--
Don

Auslander
ass engineer

Post by Auslander » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:14 am

I worked at Trident from 71-75, and then Le Chateau D'Herouville from 75-76. They were both haunted. I had a number of hair-raising experiences at Trident, including one during the mix of a Queen album, and one really bizarre one at the Chateau during a Mahavishnu record. The Chateau was the former home of Frederic Chopin.

Really odd and inexplicable stuff happening, like music blasting through the speakers in the reverb chambers when the studio had been completely powered down etc. Lots of witnesses as well, including band members and some terrified studio staff.

Very strange to say the very least..

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:02 am

Auslander wrote:I worked at Trident from 71-75, and then Le Chateau D'Herouville from 75-76. They were both haunted. I had a number of hair-raising experiences at Trident, including one during the mix of a Queen album, and one really bizarre one at the Chateau during a Mahavishnu record. The Chateau was the former home of Frederic Chopin.

Really odd and inexplicable stuff happening, like music blasting through the speakers in the reverb chambers when the studio had been completely powered down etc. Lots of witnesses as well, including band members and some terrified studio staff.

Very strange to say the very least..
HOLY SHIT! ITS NEIL KERNON!! :shock:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:18 am

Auslander wrote:The Chateau was the former home of Frederic Chopin.
Wow! I never knew that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:48 pm

underwood in mpls!

that place is SO haunted.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

Auslander
ass engineer

Post by Auslander » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:25 pm

Kevin Kitchel wrote:HOLY SHIT! ITS NEIL KERNON!! :shock:
Eeek! :shock:

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

More ghosts

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:36 am

I read the old posts on ghosts. I thought I'd refresh the topic since it seems it has been awhile...

I will post more later today but my brother and I have (and now my dad) has exerienced both sounds and visible things which are not logically explainable. My home studio is in the basement but it is not just contained to there. I really need to set up some mics and my camcorder at night.

In fact, that is one of the things that hacks me off. The people who claim to be experts and record "ghosts" use such crappyass gear. If I ever do get anything I will be sure to post it!

tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am

please do.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: More ghosts

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:17 pm

TV Lenny wrote: The people who claim to be experts and record "ghosts" use such crappyass gear.
some of them even claim that the built in mics on their computers are SUPERIOR for recording ghosts. ridiculous. there was a thread on this not long ago in rec technics...

K.Hendriksen
studio intern

Post by K.Hendriksen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:21 pm

i have had these moments as well. it's a trip. here's the story. I use to work at a developmental center. in my area it use to be the mental ward back in the 50's. i got the keys and i use to sleep in there because i was a really bad drug addict at this point and was homeless. they had pianos set up and it was just a creapy room. i use to record in there all night long and would always hear thing. i recorded this song gracefully www.myspace.com/virginiareed666[url], and there are so many things going on ... crazy now.[/url]
"young artists have got to starve"

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:24 pm

I try to bump these older topics every year around Halloween because I'm EXTREMELY fascinated by them. Maybe we'll get a good head-start this year.

I can't really add anything too crazy or new to the list of experiences I may have talked about before, but our own Mike Bridavsky of Russian Recording has some great stuff to talk about that he's been sharing over at the Electrical Audio website. Maybe I can get him to chime on here on his experiences in the last year or so.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:33 pm

Ok, I am a pretty logical person although I do believe in an afterlife. That said, I also believe most "ghostly" experiences can be explained. I have had many various things happen though throughout my life that are not logically explainable...

Recently, I have seen in my home studio "orbs" when I am in my studio. Other people in my family have also seen or heard things. It is always just a quick flicker off to my side. But almost always accompanied with that feeling someone is near. I have sworn that my brother or girlfriend is coming down the stairs and see something to my side. When I look no one is there or even in the basement. But recently I actually saw a person or shadow in my studio as well as the hallway/doorway in the upstairs. I really thought I was going insane. But my younger brother has been staying here frequently and experienced almost all of the same things. We have both heard voices, someone walking, noises in general, and whatnot that we have proved (for the most part) can not be caused by plumbing, electrical, city noise, etc.

I am open-minded enough that if it is something other than a ghost I am willing to get to the bottom of it. But, I have experienced far too many instances where I believe it is something more. I hope to be able to capture SOMETHING audio-wise and/or video-wise to actually prove it. Like I orginally posted, why don't some of us try to record something using our high quality gear?! I haven't to be honest just because of laziness. But now I am on a mission!!

Take care,
Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:58 am

I saw an episode of Ghost Hunters for the frist time recently. I don't have cable but I was on vacation. It was a funny premise: meatheads encounter the afterlife!

I'm curious what paranormal investigators use gear wise, specifically audio wise. Anyone up with this?

My home studio is totally unhaunted... and that's a-okay with me!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:02 am

hiddendriveways wrote:My home studio is totally unhaunted...
Dissapointingly, mine too, and I live in a big, old house where about 100 years ago a young girl what shot in the head. The family who lived in the house was far too practical to be trolling about as ghosts, though.