Haunted Recording Studios

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Haunted Recording Studios

Post by cgarges » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:34 pm

In the spirit of this time of year, I thought it'd be fun to revive this thread from the archives. Any updates, new stories, reprints of these?

By the way, I just bought a book on North Carolina ghosts for which I was interviewed about the ghost at Studio East. While at Borders, I bought three books, two of which were books on local ghosts. My change was six dollars and sixty six cents.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Re: Haunted Recording Studios

Post by mjau » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:56 am

cgarges wrote:My change was six dollars and sixty six cents.
Only reaffirming my theory that you, Chris, are the devil.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:35 am

mjau wrote:Only reaffirming my theory that you, Chris, are the devil.
Hey man, I'm not the one looking for a baby blue Adidas jumpsuit. :)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:58 am

mjau may be right Chris. And the devil wears Nike, not adidas.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:47 am

6.66, the change of the beast.

I don't know if my studio is haunted, but I've certainly been visited. When I first setup shop in the cemetary caretakers' house, I always felt as if we were being watched. One bright Friday morning, hours after a funeral in the back, I went to the front door for some fresh air. A cool "breeze" blasted past me, spent a few seconds moving around the house, then exited through me back outside.

That was 6 years ago. Haven't felt a thing since. I believe I was being checked out and once found cool, left alone.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:22 am

cgarges wrote:
mjau wrote:Only reaffirming my theory that you, Chris, are the devil.
Hey man, I'm not the one looking for a baby blue Adidas jumpsuit. :)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Hey, baby blue is the color of Carolina, man. :D
I have a crappy old Rocktron compressor I keep in my rack only because it distorts a bass in the most wicked manner, and occasionally the lights will start going crazy, so I'm pretty sure a ghost is living within it.
Also, my "studio" (i.e., my house) was the seen of a murder in 1912, where a little boy accidentally shot a little girl in the head with a rifle. Some people claim ghost stories attached to that episode, but I can't claim a damn thing other than a lot of people asking about it.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:52 pm

Shawn1272 wrote:And the devil wears Nike, not adidas.
Well then I am most certainly NOT the devil because I'm a die-hard Chuck Taylor guy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:28 pm

My place may be haunted.

One night I heard strange tapping on the window in my control room.
Then immediately after that my computer froze for no reason.

A similar thing happened in my bedroom. My light flashed as if it was burning out, but it didn't burn out. When I went to my computer, it was frozen.

Maybe it's just bad AC... but that won't explain the tapping on the window.

Someone who used to live in this neighborhood a long time ago said that a strange family once lived in the house. They apparently never went out and always kept the blinds shut. Maybe it's one of them...

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:26 pm

I resisted posting in this thread last year, but my old apartment definitely was haunted. The funniest event which occurred, was one night I was asleep, and I was awoken by the TV being on in the living room. I got up to turn it off, and there was no one in the living room, but somehow the TV and VCR had turned themselves on, and playing on the VCR was Star Trek VI: The undiscovered country! I almost fell over laughing. I mean, c'mon; Star Trek? If there is an afterlife, it must be quite the bore.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:35 am

For years there's been the rumor that Pachyderm Studio is haunted:

http://www.pachydermstudio.com/gs_content.htm

I've freelanced there a handful of times and nothing ever freaked me out. I think it's mostly the feeling of isolation out there. Kinda like "The Shining" or "Friday The 13th". At night, when walking from the studio to the guest house, you can barely see your hand in front of your face plus, there's a babbling brook running parallel to the studio.

There's usually a write-up in the local papers every year around Halloween-time regarding Pachyderm ghost-stories. It's mildly amusing.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Find me a studio that ISN'T haunted.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:02 pm

Kevin Kitchel wrote:Find me a studio that ISN'T haunted.
Yeah... even when I was working the AmRep building the guys were trying to freak me out (didn't work). The building had offices on the top floor and the studio was in the basement. It was an old medical clinic and they were trying to convince me that the basement was once a morgue... whatever, haha.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:14 pm

mjau wrote: Hey, baby blue is the color of Carolina, man. :D
damn. garges=served.

that thread was a good read, thanks chris.

the ghost here has been cool. i haven't seen him since that one time. the cat though, simply loves to sit in my room and stare very attentively at one corner. he's doing it right now in fact. i dunno the significance of this, other than the corner he faces is where the new wall went in a couple years back, which is what seemed to prompt the ghost sighting....

anyway.

a couple years ago, my singer and i were heading down to alan douches' place to get our first record mastered, we stopped at my folks' place in CT on the way down and spent the night. she slept in our spare room downstairs. the next day, we're driving to jersey and she says she very definitely saw a ghost in the middle of the night. said it was an old person, super skinny, long face and hands, very wrinkled skin, bald...anyway she just woke up and saw the ghost sitting there at the foot of her bed and that was that, they sort of looked at each other for a moment and the ghost vanished.

she said 'isn't that weird?'

i said 'uuuuhhhh...back in the day my parents befriended this guy named harold, he was a carpenter who lived in town. they'd hired him to do some work on the house, and as he was good, they kept having him do more work and got to know him quite well. he was a good guy, but a sort of perpetually down on his luck type, and i think my folks went out of their way to try and help him out a bit. anyway, he eventually lost his place to live and got really sick, so my folks had him stay with them for the last couple years of his life. he stayed in the room you slept in and fits your description of the ghost to a tee.'

*bug eyes*

i have another ghost story, but as it involves tripping on acid in college, i imagine it will be dismissed as scientifically invalid by dwlby.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:07 pm

i dont know what it is about cats, but they tend to see things. My bros GF's cats stare at the ceiling and crap every once and a while. Its pretty wierd, they freak out and start mewing and try to get as close as they can to that spot.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:15 am

hmm... i can see how your studio having a rep for being haunted can come to be a good excuse for when one accidentally erases a track...just say the ghost armed the track! heh