Digi001 & 6.7?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wedge
tinnitus

Digi001 & 6.7?

Post by wedge » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:37 am

Anyone successfully use a Digi001 with version 6.7 of PTs? I really want the tick function, but don't wanna dump the 001... yet...

Platinum Samples
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Platinum Samples » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:32 am

6.4.something was the last version which'll work with the 001

Rail
www.platinumsamples.com
??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:00 pm

I currently have a 001 on os 10.3.9 and am running PTLE v6.9...6.7 should work fine w/ your 001...The limit for us 001 users is PT7..001 and PT7 is the end of the line for us...Shit I'll keep my 001 till it's f'ing dead..I use my apogee anyhow and rarely even use the digi pre's / converters...

Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Post by sdelsolray » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:22 pm

PTLE 6.4 is indeeed the last version that will run on a Digi001. DigiDesign wrote code into version 6.7 to make it NOT work wth a Digi001.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:26 pm

oops..You're right...I just opened up PT and I am using 6.4...Sorry about the bad info...Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:27 pm

By the way what do you mean by the "tick" function...
www.rhymeandmelody.com

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:00 pm

The tick function sounds really cool... fer instance, you can have a track of drum regions -- kick, for example -- and if the track is in tick mode, if you alter the tempo map of the song, the kick hits will follow automatically, instead of having to manually re-grid them...

This is how Sound On Sound describes it:

"Tick-based Audio tracks: Tick, or musical tempo-based audio allows you to change the tempo of a piece and have all the region boundaries remain at the same musical position. This means you can change the tempo of a song after recording and, providing there are region boundaries in the right places, all the audio files will move in time so they remain at the same points in the song. What it won't do, though, is time-compress or expand audio to fit ? it only moves region boundaries. You will need time to get your head round this one, but the impact of it for integrated MIDI and audio work in one application is enormous."

As far as I know, there's no other way to do this in PTs...

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:23 pm

Shit that actually sounds really nice..I reformat and compose ringtones at this studio and that could actually save me alot of time...Well at least a bit per session but it does all add up in the end...I'll have to look into it...Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:45 am

Yes it's fantastic for midi. Change the tempo and it all snaps into place. For audio to work you'd have to be using only sample snippets on a grid, which would all line up just like midi.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:44 am

For the project that I'm working on, I've recorded real drums, sliced them up, then aligned them to a tempo map that was created from a previously recorded acoustic guitar track, and even though the groove of the acoustic guitar breathes -- to use a euphenism -- the drums lock into step with it and breathe as well, and it sounds flipping great, like the whole bit was recorded live... I'm really blown away how well this technique works... Having the Tick capability would only make it that much more powerful... I may have to buy an Mbox2...