List of suitable replacement pots for PM1000.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

List of suitable replacement pots for PM1000.

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:58 am

No I don't have one. But I sure wish I did. I'm surprised nobody has undertaken this task. I guess the hard ones to find would probably be the eq pots. It would even be nice to have a center detent for those so you know for sure the eq is flat.

Anyway, I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to find alpha replacements for the echo send pots. But then, most people are using these in a rack, not as a board, so that probably wouldn't matter to them.

Anyway, I sure wouldn't mind having some clean pots to tweak while mixing on this thing. I have a bunch of scratchy stuff.

Any ideas for the eq pots?

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:09 am

I ordered some from "Don't Bug Me" Doug @ Hoffman Amplifiers. I couldn't break the glue loose from the pots on a couple of PM1000 channel strips & wound up stripping out a few shafts. Doug's website has lots of parts that are commonly used in guitar amplifiers. No detent, but they work & I can tell no difference in the sound of these & the originals. They are physically larger than the original. I was racking mine so size was not an issue.

www.hoffmanamps.com
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:35 am

Hey bluesman,

Are they audio or linear taper or something else? I'm guessing it would be something else, since when they aren't doing anything the pot should be in the middle of it's taper.

Anyway, do you have the ohm ratings too?

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:48 am

You can get the value of the pots from the PM1000 schematic, which is still available on Yamaha's home website. I think I used Linear Taper pots for the EQ. I think they were 10K, but I'm guessing from faded memory.....best check to be sure.
I'm sure someone will chime in to tell me I'm wrong & in doing so will name the correct value & style part....at any rate, they were under $5.00 each & anything I order from Hoffman usually arrives in 2 or 3 days at most.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

ciminosound
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ciminosound » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:52 am

Places like Digikey, Mouser and Newark are great for parts like that.

For precision NOTHING beats stepped controls.

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:07 pm

Looking inside of mine, I see M50k Ohm / K83D on the Eq pots, but for as what they are.... I haven't a clue for what they're called. When they are in the middle, I can see the wiper sitting on it's "bypass" post.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:54 pm

I was scrambling around trying to find replacement EQ pots a while back. The tough part is getting something with a center-tap (not just a detent) to reduce noise when that band is set to flat. Never did find a suitable replacement.