Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Naiant Mics and "clever" devices

Post by PublicMelody » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:49 pm

I just found this:
http://naiant.com/

These guys do it all with Neutrik connectors.

Go to "Studio Store" and look at the cheapy microphones.

You think they're using the same capsules as the Karma mics?

Also check out the "clever devices" -- cheap inline attenuators and phantom powered DIs.

Anyone used any of these devices?

- Jim

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

Post by Garthplinko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:15 pm

I just got a pair of the little omnis - I think they're based on a d.i.y. design printed in Tape Op (but don't quote me).

I used them for overheads and on an Ovation acoustic and got results that I was VERY happy with - HOWEVER, let me say that this was one of those quick-n-dirty one day sessions for a punk band so I was working with entry-level Paistes (which sound better than some Zildjian A series crashes imo) and a not-so-great sounding Ovation. It could be the placement, but with my sdc cardiod pattern mics as overheads, sometimes it can sound washy or phasy but I've never had that problem using omnis, the drums just sound more...real. I used a pair of the Earthworks omnis at a studio I used to work at and loved them so I figured I'd give these a try.

I won't hesitate to try the Naiants again based on this first run though.

But seriously, for 40 bucks for a pair even the most raging skeptic should try them. I'm going to play with them more when I get time - any suggestions for sound sources to try them on? Snare I think is the next choice for me, but I've found that an omni on snare only works if the drummer will let you put the hi-hat pretty far away. I don't mind some bleed, but the last time I tried it it was WAY too much.
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:31 am

There's mp3 clips all over the Home Recording BBS: http://www.homerecording.com/bbs
If you search MSH-1O, MSH-4 (little starved tube mic fit into a Neutrik connector!), MSH-1C for the different incarnations of those mics.
________
JUSTIN BIEBER
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:59 am

The capsules in these will likely be far better than the Karma mics. I reckon the components will be superior too.
Roddy Bell
BBC / Siemens

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:06 pm

rodabod wrote:The capsules in these will likely be far better than the Karma mics. I reckon the components will be superior too.
Based on what? Please back up your speculation with something. Do you own these mics? Use the capsules somewhere?

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:39 am

BeepBeep wrote:
rodabod wrote:The capsules in these will likely be far better than the Karma mics. I reckon the components will be superior too.
Based on what? Please back up your speculation with something. Do you own these mics? Use the capsules somewhere?
Yes, the Karma mics have a frequency response of only 50Hz to 13KHz which is frankly quite crap. These mics should handle up to 20KHz well, and given a suitable boundary will work well down to near 20Hz probably. I think the Naiants more or less use a version of the old Panasonic electrets which were used in the original PZMs and other measurement mics.

I've spoken to the Naiant microphones owner regarding the components and can confirm that they are good quality. As far as I can see, the Karma mics look like Chinese SMD which will probably be ok, but I still reckon the Naiants will be better.
Roddy Bell
BBC / Siemens