Ribbon or transformer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Ribbon or transformer?

Post by Kyle » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:13 pm

My partner was setting up to record a guitar. I heard a very loud pop over the speakers while I was up stairs. He thinks that he plugged in the wrong cable into the ML-52 and that cable was pluged into a channel that had phantom power turned on.

Yep, this mic is no longer passing signal.
So my question is do you think it is the ribbon or the transformer or both. I love these ribbon mics and it was one of a set. I'd love to get it back on the roster. I realize that it will no longer be a "set" but if I can upgrade the transformer in the fix. I might have a better mic and mayber I could upgrade the other one as well.

Any thoughts on this.

Thanks
Kyle

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:19 pm

If the mic is not passing signal then that probably means a roasted ribbon.
You should be able to remove the grille and see if it's cooked. I've not seen a burnt ribbon, but I expect it to look like a burnt out light bulb since that's pretty much what happens.
Sad.

This is really interesting considering the other post currently up there about leaving phantom on at all times even with ribbon mics... the plot thickens.

-Jeremy

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:56 am

I'll have to open this up and take a look.

Thanks
Kyle

Marik
gettin' sounds

Post by Marik » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:28 pm

Most likely you won't see anything once you take off the grill.
The ML-52 has a brass protective screen, covering the ribbons, besides, the ribbons are not exposed, "sitting" behind perforated plates.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:32 am

True enough, there may be more than one layer in there, maybe a lot more. If you can't see the ribbon through the next layer you might have to take off a few more screws to dig a little deeper.
Hell, ya' might have to dig all the way down to the very last layer, but I suppose that would have to happen if the thing needed to be re-ribboned.
Have strength, brother.

-J

Marik
gettin' sounds

Post by Marik » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:06 pm

Professor wrote:True enough, there may be more than one layer in there, maybe a lot more. If you can't see the ribbon through the next layer you might have to take off a few more screws to dig a little deeper.
:D :D :D

Let me stress it, once you took off those screws, it is time to re-ribbon it, this time for sure :wink:

Kyle, if you need any assistance in repairing or re-ribboning this mic, PM me.