distant and distorted drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:11 pm

im probably going to be recording some drum tracks, and im going to be doing this on the drumset at my church, so im going to have an omni like 20 feet from the set i think and im gonna compress it to hell. Like said above, thats prolly the sound ur looking for,

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:41 pm

Distance micing and then compressing the living hell out of it always works. Good ideas here.

The other thing is I once did a drum session and hooked up an Edirol R-1, using that as a room mic. It's already sort of bangy sounding as it is, but then I ran the thing through a compressor and squished the crap out of it. Wow. The R-1 has omni mics, so you really get a lot of room to squash. The one bad thing is that the R-1 is really hissy and noisy.

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:52 am

Also try the Antares Tube plug for more saturation.
Oh man! I love that plugin. I've tried a few things in an attempt to get those Dave Fridmann "oh my god those drums are exploding in my face" drum tones and Antares Tube has gotten me the closest by far. It distorts very musically, for a plug.

Also, it seems distorting overheads is just about the only thing a BlueTube is pretty good for...

The guy in this thread knows how to distort drums pretty well, I'd say:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:04 am

Kilroy wrote:im probably going to be recording some drum tracks, and im going to be doing this on the drumset at my church, so im going to have an omni like 20 feet from the set i think and im gonna compress it to hell. Like said above, thats prolly the sound ur looking for,
I would suggest using a cardiod LCD, off axis, squashed with your favorite comp.
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.