Some Advise

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Some Advise

Post by supersockmonkey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:29 am

Been reading this for a while now and just wanted to thank you all for some great information. Finally decided to get signed on. ive been recording for 10+ yrs on 4 & 8 tracks for years but just finally moved to the digital world and trying to record a serious album. I just wanted to know how you guys with experience think it sounds and what i can inprove on. granted this is myspace and quality wont be that great but its all i got for you guys. Im using:
Protools LE7 digi02 rack
KRK V6II
Ampex 351
Tab Funfenwerks V71DI
Space echo
ADK Area 51 TT
2 Rode NT1
SM57
& so on, not a whole lot but a good deal of instruments. let me know what you think.

http://www.myspace.com/wearethepacific
Last edited by supersockmonkey on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:53 am

Oh and forgot to mention that it is just two people in this band, me and a friend and i record in my office at home. I might be on the wrong forum but this is my favorite and love the advise you all give.

CHEERS!!!!!!!
*Ryan*

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Wow not even a "How do you do"? :cry:
*Ryan*

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Hey, you just put this up a couple hours ago. Most of the traffic on here is around dinner tme/after work etc... Welcome to the board. I would love to listen to your recordings, however I can't on this computer. I'll listen to them when I get around on another one. You'll get some advice. Don't you worry.

Neil

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:22 pm

What's that smell?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:39 pm

I think it's teen spirit..

Sounds pretty nice to me..keep doing what your doing..

I really like your choice in deck preamps and echo..I love all of those units..

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:13 am

Sounds pretty nice to me..keep doing what your doing..

I really like your choice in deck preamps and echo..I love all of those units..

Thanks, I just bought all my gear about 6-7 months ago and trying to build up my chops. Started the band around the same time with and old buddy. This is my first time on my own with decent gear and im having fun learning. Thanks to you all, experimenting and some great books ive been improving.
Last edited by supersockmonkey on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Ryan*

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:23 am

You have to think to yourself too..well..what exactly is the definition of improvement?..my idea of it might be completely different than the next person's of what is "good"..you have to come to an understanding of what your goals are..

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:51 am

Well its definitly an improvment to recording with my 4track tape recorder and some foot pedals hahaha. But yeah i dont think im anywhere close to greatness or anything.
*Ryan*

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:43 am

Oh Toolshed of Death, just wanted to say that you profile website is fucking amazing hahah i dig it and thanks again.
*Ryan*

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Re: things

Post by vibesof20hz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:01 pm

As far as the mix is concerned, I would like to hear the vocals out front more. Its a chill song and I like it. Any other advice on the mix would purely be objective, since its fairly well done. (and since that mp3 got the life smashed out of it). Good work, especially if the pro tools thing is relatively new.

On the flip side, I have a question for you! All those sounds in the first 10 to 15 seconds. How did you go about building that landscape?

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:54 am

As far as the mix is concerned, I would like to hear the vocals out front more. Its a chill song and I like it. Any other advice on the mix would purely be objective, since its fairly well done. (and since that mp3 got the life smashed out of it). Good work, especially if the pro tools thing is relatively new.

On the flip side, I have a question for you! All those sounds in the first 10 to 15 seconds. How did you go about building that landscape?
Thanks for the feedback. The vocal thing has come up a couple times. I think we were a little nervous we were going to make them too loud so we were holding back a bit. When we go back and do the final mixes that will be first item on the list.

As for sounds, im not sure which song you were listening to so i dont want to give you the wrong info, but if your talking about "The five year house" i ran a bunch if outtakes of the singer through a sample chopper & layered some synths over it. I use allot of Reaktor, i love that program. i also use reason, sampletank, plug-ins, pedals and some hard synths as well. i like to mix in some random instuments in like sitar and such. dont have any rack effects yet exept a space echo. anyways cheers!
*Ryan*