Favorite cheap comps to slam

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:52 pm

T-rex wrote:alesis microlimiter - cheap and noisy, but sweet for smashing the crap out of a room mic.
my friend just gave me one of these. I instantly starting thinking of ways to make it blow up...
off somewhere listening.

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:55 pm

ohh, and I forgot to add, a Big Muff pedal.. probably the noisiest compressor ever made. comp disguised as a fuzz box... hahaha.

squashtastic.
off somewhere listening.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:58 pm

trask wrote:ohh, and I forgot to add, a Big Muff pedal.. probably the noisiest compressor ever made. comp disguised as a fuzz box... hahaha.

squashtastic.
Yeah, I ran some electronic drum stuff first through the slammed line inputs of an altec 1592, and then through a big muff clone pedal (Baja Tech da MOAF) - wow. It showed up as an almost solid bar of sound in Sonar.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:57 pm

nobody but me likes em' but me but the Alesis 3036 in stereo crushing a room or drum mix sounds kinda good to me, but nobody ever belives me ???

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:31 pm

I agree with many of the units mentioned above: MXR Dual Limiter, Alesis MicroLimiter, Symetrix 501 and CL-150, JBL 7110 and Ashly SC-50.

A couple of others to check out:
1) The red MXR Limiter pedal, great for altering envelopes and creating backward cymbals.
2) Fostex MN-50 (also sometimes tagged MN-15), A little 4-channel mono mixer that was meant to accompany 4-track cassettes. It's got a built in compressor with only a release control. That thing will squash the snot out of a drum track and sound very cool doing it. They can be had in the $20-$25 price range and are a complete steal.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:17 am

trodden wrote:must.... resist.... .... mom.. zing...
beware bee wear

fakesens
studio intern

Post by fakesens » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:19 pm

nestle wrote:nobody but me likes em' but me but the Alesis 3036 in stereo crushing a room or drum mix sounds kinda good to me, but nobody ever belives me ???
nobody but you... and Daft Punk. they used that thing on Homework, they love it.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:09 am

fakesens wrote:
nestle wrote:nobody but me likes em' but me but the Alesis 3036 in stereo crushing a room or drum mix sounds kinda good to me, but nobody ever belives me ???
nobody but you... and Daft Punk. they used that thing on Homework, they love it.
I never hated it, either. Had one, even two, for a while. Sold one when I discovered I had enough other comp choices I preferred in the racks, and put the other in a friend's studio when it became obvious they would get more out of having it around than I. They can sound a little 'plastic' but if one is careful, they can get jobs done...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:13 pm

Symetrix 501, symetrix CL150 to a lesser extent, but it will still do it.
The 501 will make explosions.
The best exploder box I have is the ADR (think compex/vocal stressor) "limiter express." That thing is obscure as hell, and totally out of control. Like a completely wacky expander section into a completely distorto/smashy limiter/compressor section. Totally amazing. i use it for uber huge smashy drum sounds every time. That and the custom McMartin limiter I have.

Both the McMartin and the ADR limiter express can be foound for relatively low money, if you can find one at all...

there are so many fun ones though... the maxson "dept of commerce" comes to mind.... the Collins 26W is an AMAZING drum smasher as well.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:19 am

trask wrote: squashtastic.
please don't use that word...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:05 am

fremitus wrote:
trask wrote: squashtastic.
please don't use that word...
H8er.

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:41 am

RNC when it's NOT in Super Nice mode can do some pretty brutal stuff. At least I think so. Weird distortion and stuff like that. No one seems to agree with me on this, though. In fact, I sometimes wonder if my RNC is defective and does things no one else's RNC does. It did start smoking once when I plugged it into the wrong wall wart...

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:50 am

ajb wrote:RNC when it's NOT in Super Nice mode can do some pretty brutal stuff. At least I think so. Weird distortion and stuff like that. No one seems to agree with me on this, though. In fact, I sometimes wonder if my RNC is defective and does things no one else's RNC does. It did start smoking once when I plugged it into the wrong wall wart...
They say in the manual that if you chain the two channels together, it can do some crazy stuff, but I have not tried this yet. Has anyone messed with the RNLA yet? I'm pretty curious about those.

-Bret

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 am

Ok,

So I do not slam comps. I am wondering if I should be playing with this more. Can you tell me what sources you like to slam or is it just room mics on a drum kit? Anyone have mp3 samples of slam comp vs without? Just so I can hear if it is a good thing. I try to be care that I control the source signal but don't suck the life out of it.

Let me know your thoughts...

Jason

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:03 pm

rhythm ranch wrote: 1) The red MXR Limiter pedal, great for altering envelopes and creating backward cymbals.
hey that's MY trick!

besides that and the much mentioned microlimiter....hhmmm my other comps are expensive...oh, no one's mentioned the blockfish yet, that's a great freeware plug. that thing on opto with the 'complex' button in and the low cut on....on room mics it is insanity.

i've also had occasional good luck with running a bass track out to the old otari 5050 and hitting tape at like +100...

one time i was recording rehearsal of my old band, had everything miced up and going into a Vintage Mackie 24x8, main outs going into my tascam porta-dat....only i had the inputs on the dat set to mic instead of line...there was some entertaining compression on that tape for sure. :D