ART DPS-II Pre-Amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cdbabel
gettin' sounds

ART DPS-II Pre-Amp

Post by cdbabel » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:19 am

I was wondering if anyone owns the ART DPS-II Pre-Amp. I'm contemplating getting one and I wanted to hear some samples of it.

In partaricular, I'd like to hear vocals from a SM 58 through the ART DPS-II. Also I'd like to know if you've had any technical difficulties with it. Is it built with quality in mind?

I chose the ART DPS-II because I could use a pre-amp with a digital out to take advantage of the 2 extra inputs on my PreSonus firebox (giving me 6 instead of 4).
-E Jeff Einowski
WikiRecording@cdbabel.com
Editor in Chief
www.cdbabel.com
www.wikirecording.org
Promoting Community in Music

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 pm

i have a DPS (not II)
i don't like it on vocals. i have no examples cause i don't use it on vox..
adds just enough of to much.. noise..

i do not reccomend this unit unless you have used one. and liked it.

panda.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:22 pm

Go to myspace.com/kevingebo

The song by Electric Eyes, I used the DPS II on one of the two bass mics, and on the snare. However, most of the snare is from the room mics, and there is another bass mic, so its not going to be the most helpful thing...
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:43 pm

I don't have any samples handy. But I use a DPS 1 (along with the TPS II, the version of it without the digital out). I am of the opinion that ART preamps in general have a lot of bang for the buck.

Do they compare to Neve or API or other high-dollar boutique pres? Of course not. But can you get good-sounding recordings using them? If you are careful with how you set them.

These units offer quite a bit of tonal flexibility, between the different rotary switch settings and teh variable impedance. It gives you other options for tone-shaping, in addition to mic placement. Its results are serviceable at the very least, and pretty good at best.

I've never had a problem with noise with my units; if you do then my guess is either a) you have the gain structure set incorrectly, or b) you have a defective unit.

In short, go ahead and get this unit. It doesn't have "one sound" that you can hear with samples. It's pretty versatile, and there aren't many other options (with SPDIF out) in this price range.