"I like your band!"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

"I like your band!"

Post by dynomike » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:13 pm

It hasn't gone up yet, but I just registered it today.
ilikeyourband.com

How many times have you just outright lied about liking someone's band to pay the rent? I wanted to start a website that would give all the engineers I know (including you guys though of course I 'know' few of you..) an opportunity to post 0:30 samples of the worst bands they've recorded, completely anonymously. I know I've been implicit in the creation of shit that made the world a lesser place, and I just need a confessional to totally out with it.

I'm thinking of doing it so there's no login - just an upload form - and a few rules.
1. Your name cannot be revealed, nor the studio, nor whatever.
2. The name of the band, title of the song, etc, CANNOT be identified except perhaps in "misspelling code" - we don't want it coming up on google. If the title is inherently hilarious it may be permitted.
3. 128kbps stereo mp3s at best - save bandwidth.

Think it'll work? Any more rule suggestions? If anyone can make a great logo or something that'd help out. Preferably something very religious feeling after all.. its confessional for two-faced recording engineers.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:17 pm

Now that Incorrect Music is off the air, you should make a radio show out of it.

I think the bummer would be for someone to find out who recorded whatever was posted, which might not be too hard to do in some cases. For example, many of the bands with whom I work know I'm assoctiated with TapeOp and if anything I worked on turned up on there (and trust me, I've done more than my fair share of lame stuff), I'd probably be in big trouble. Even worse would be if someone other than me wound up posting something on which I worked and I had to try to convince the band that I didn't post it.

While I'm all about Wing and The Golden Throats Series and the "Hot Summer Nights" guy, I don't know that this is such a good idea. Someone would have to work hard to convince me otherwise, but I'm open to hear reasons.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:53 pm

Well the key would be to keep it hush-hush.

Just ask "how would they find it?" Anonymity is key - it would have be set up such that the only way they would find it is a) if they suspected their band really really sucked and did some diggin. in which case they deserve the truth. or b) if they are making fun of bands who are no worse than themselves.. then find themselves on there. Again, they in this case deserve the truth.

I dunno, I'm worried too. I'd just love for it to happen because between all of us we have enough laughable tracks to laugh any one of us to death. I just saw a show tonight, for instance - can't give out too many "searchable details' but suffice to say that one of the song's 'robot's per minute was way high, and the chorus went something like "robots... for dinner / robots... IN MY MIND"

Encroyable!
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:55 pm

I'd just also like to add that we're also totally all wimps and if everyone was already doing this, it'd be fine.. I mean thats why I'm trying to cloak it in anonymity, so you're not "that jerk guy" but at the same time can retain, to yourself, a shred of integrity. I struggle with it! This could be the outlet...

Mike

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:53 am

just have the front page say nothing but "404 file not found" but have a hidden link somewhere to actually enter or a generic "under construction" page.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:57 am

Yeah.. Incorrect Music was a great show..One of my favoriters of all time..

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:21 am

I think this is a great idea. Dangerous... but great nonetheless. I have a few gems that I can't wait to share.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:24 am

Perhaps make it members only - like you have to login - just to discourage passerbys, but have the usership be completely anonymous, once inside? I dunno, I'd rather it be totally accessible, and just have so much material that you couldn't pin down responsibility - because it could just be a jukebox of thirty second clips with the little anecdote about the band below.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:15 am

I've already mentally posted about 5 or 6 really awful clips to "ilikeyourband.com". Get it rolling, it'll be too much fun to handle.

I think a membership/ login is a good idea.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:35 am

This kind of reminds me of that phone number in NYC that can be given to persistent would-be suitors in bars, which when dialed leads to a voicemail politely stating that 'the person who gave you this number does not want to see you again';

I've never been relayed to it personally, you'll have to trust me on that one ... heard about it on the npr or something ...

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:07 pm

How about a monthly podcast???

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:26 pm

I like the 404/hidden link idea. directing the bots to ignore the content might help too.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:06 am

I think I need to seriously think about a few things, mainly

1) how to implement the upload form for music and accompanying anecdote.
2) how to make the player work so that it adds the new music/comments automatically.
3) how to have it protected from 'outsiders' without having a login which would compromise the anonymity.

If anyone has any more ideas I'd appreciate it! I'd love to get this up and running because I know collectively we have recorded so much heinous/hilarious stuff...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:40 pm

God, I'm afraid I might show up on the site.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:33 pm

mjau, so called "vanity" posts shall be allowed - remember, its anonymous! as long as you can make up a good anecdote about how you lied to yourself about liking your band.