Does analog mastering still exist?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Justine_X
gimme a little kick & snare

Does analog mastering still exist?

Post by Justine_X » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Are there any recommended mastering studios out there where the music doesn't touch a computer at all?

I've been ruminating on this since I borrowed an album mastered by Jeff Lipton. A few years ago I read the feature in TapeOp profiling Lipton and his high-tech Peerless Mastering studio and I remember being impressed by his setup.

Then one of my students lent me an album mastered by him and my first impression was YUCK!! :x Of course the music was very compressed and not really my cup of tea (punk band The Unseen), but it made me curious if the old way of mastering is still practiced.

It also really irks me that I've put out vinyl that's pressed from a CD-R master. It's a burr under my saddle, man. Doesn't seem right...

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 pm

All real mastering houses are analog, but if it's sent to the house in a digital format, then it will usually have to go through a converter then through the analog chain and then to a masterlink. This could be digital, but could also be tape if you wanted it that way. It still has to go onto a disk eventually...and computers are better at burning disks than tape machines. By the way, the Unseen records all sound like shit.

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:56 pm

You can cut from 1/2 tape directly to metal at Abbey Road.

= Justin

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:42 pm

Brad Blackwood & crew at Euphonic still do "analog" mastering...or about as analog as it gets these days anyway.

Great stuff. Never had a bad swing with that guy.

www.euphonicmasters.com
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:34 pm

There's still plenty of analog-chainers out there. I wouldn't give up my analog gear for all the 1's and 0's in China.

But if you're going to wind up with a digital production master, you're going to wind up with some digital gear at some point...

If you're shooting for vinyl, I don't know too many vinyl guys *with* digital gear in the chain (unless, of course, the mixes are in a digital format).
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:06 am

FWIW, I am pretty certain Jeff Lipton has *plenty* of analog mastering gear.

Records can be wrecked by both digital and analog tools. It's all in the choices you make about how those tools are used. I've heard great-sounding records mastered entirely "in the box," and, of course, many where only analog outboard was used. Most MEs use a combination of both analog and digital (plugin or outboard) tools these days. Even Brad Blackwood uses a Waves L2 digital peak limiter.

I don't know what the factors are that went into that record sounding offensive to you, but it could be many, many things... perhaps the mixes came in overcompressed? Perhaps the band demanded that kind of sound? Perhaps levels were requested that the music could not sustain?

Regardless, it probably had little to do with a computer being involved. There's a computer involved in every CD master made today, if only for audio playback/capture at the bare minimum.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:23 am

I don't think that an all-analog chain nessesarily will be any better than one that is hybrid, or even all digital. We're past that point now. Sure, sure, there's always going to be the debate, those who can hear a difference, or claim to, and so on. At the end of the day a competent ME will get the job done properly and to the client's wishes, using whatever tools they know, like, and use.

Like Carl said, it's very little to do with a computer being in the chain, but more what tools, who's using them, and how they use them that makes all the difference.

On that note, I seriously suspect Jeff was urged to smash the levels on that record by someone in the band or at the label - all in the name of 'being competitive' (search around for threads relating to volume/loudness and mastering for my and others' thoughts on this.)

Jeff has mastered a whole lot of records that I've recorded, and only if the client requests it does he willingly smash the crap outta stuff.
Left to his own devices, his masters are more about clarity, dynamics, openness, impact, resolution, bandwidth, and so on. In my experience, at least.

To the original question, yes, I'm sure there are a folks out there doing all-analog mastering (or at least up until it has to be converted to digital for CD.) I don't know of any that do it specifically, but many could, if they selected only certain pieces in their rooms and worked accordingly. (Jeff could, I bet, if coming off of analog tape, stay analog until the final A/D...)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:16 am

www.goldenmastering.com

John Golden. The shit.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:14 am

brad347 wrote:www.goldenmastering.com

John Golden. The shit.
JJ deserves props, too...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:48 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
brad347 wrote:www.goldenmastering.com

John Golden. The shit.
JJ deserves props, too...
Yes, they both do. Two of the MEs I respect most.

And they both use digital gear, too. :)
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:52 am

amishsixstringer wrote:All real mastering houses are analog
That's about the most ridiculous statement I've seen in a long time.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:53 am

Make that "ever."
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:09 pm

My band spent a whole weekend with Jeff Lipton, have no clue what he did other than running the signal through tape to warm up the recording. I think he's a genius. I'm biased also because he's the only one I've ever used to master.

Don't think this helps to answer the original post, but oh wel...

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Sear Sound in NYC is very anti-digital.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:41 pm

If you want to go strait to laquer then look at SAE Mastering in Phoenix, Roger Saebel does a good job.

As for me when I master I usually do it in the analog domain. I think out of 1400plus releases only 5 or so have been all analog. One tape deck to another, On the otherside I think only 5 or so have stayed all digital. What does this mean? I do not know but most MEs use a hybrid approach and it works.

If you want to go to vinyl you could do the approach of tape to tape. It has worked for my clients in the past. But for the most part even if is going to Vinyl it has been digital at some point. Most of the time I am mastering to a tape deck from a digital master. Go figure.

Mike