Do bands still have managers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Do bands still have managers?

Post by jamoo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:52 am

If so, what do they do?

Does a band's manager have anything to do with their success / acceptance by the masses?

Obviously there's more going on than making good recordings, because bad recordings are unavoidable, and we can all name a few that blow us away that no one but another tape-opper has ever heard of.

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:41 am

In my experience from both the band and label side, the manager acts as a liason between 1) producers 2) labels 3)publishing/ASCAP/BMI 4) the booking agent. A good one will have plenty of contacts and frankly, I've found alot of industry people would rather not talk to musicians, after a polite drink or something -- they want to talk to their own. A manager can also be the voice of reason when there's friction between band members as well.

When you get to a higher lever, you'll often deal with two managers, one to wipe the artists nose, and then a business manager that will deal with finances, song placement, publishing, rent on the practice studio, etc.

In my opinion, a good booking agent is FAR more valuable to an up-and-coming band than a manager -- they have a vested interest in getting you good shows, to get their 10%.

-andy

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:34 am

just want to acknowledge that i read your response. saved it, actually. :^:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:19 am

A good manager allows the band to focus on the day to day activities of touring, recording, drinking and whatnot.

The manager deals with agents, press, labels and generally keeps the band afloat.

The band that I work that is having the most success is doing so well in good part due to their manager. They now have an international agent and a road-manager because things have picked up as much as they have.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:39 pm

drumsound wrote:A good manager allows the band to focus on the day to day activities of touring, recording, drinking and whatnot.

The manager deals with agents, press, labels and generally keeps the band afloat.

The band that I work that is having the most success is doing so well in good part due to their manager. They now have an international agent and a road-manager because things have picked up as much as they have.
Yup... to add to that:
A manager makes sure that everyone is doing their job. It's not much different than a manager at a "normal" job like a record store, video store, construction, industrial "Floor Supervisor", etc...

They make sure that the proverbial "machine" is turning.

He or she is the liasion on behalf of the band... and, in most cases, the label as well.

A manager is mostly known as the person that does the business-grunt work -- hire, fire, quality control, etc. Basically the things the band can dump onto someone else so it doesn't impede on boozing, drugging, women or men, and just overall smoothness of the whole operation.

Similar to the show Entourage in some respects... knows the lingo, has business sense, and foresees everything -- making sure everyone does his or her job (including the band).

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:45 pm

drumsound wrote:A good manager allows the band to focus on the day to day activities of touring, recording, drinking and whatnot.
And a bad manager will convince the band to spend money on yet another demo and time and money playing yet another showcase for another label that isn't going to sign them, instead of releasing their own CD and making money selling it to fans who can't even buy the cassette demos because the band never make enough copies. Or expanding their fanbase by playing shows in new places. And when the band breaks up, he'll convince the singer's new band to change their name to the name of the old band and play all that band's best songs, even though the best songs were written by the other guitarist, not the guy who is actually in this new band.

And he'll make the bass player wear a hooded sweatshirt because the old (emphasis on old) bass player cost them a record deal because the label didn't like his image and the band wouldn't fire him. And he'll make the singer cut his hair because that's the look that's in now. And he'll make him wear sunglasses on stage because that looks cooler, and also makes it less obvious that he's over 30.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from hiring a manager, because they can provide a valuable service (as noted above). I'm telling the experience of some friends in hopes anyone who reads this will do what they didn't and make sure that 1- they ask the right questions, 2- make sure the manager is right for their band, their music and their business philosophies, 3- make it clear that the manager works for them and not the other way around and 4- get rid of the manager if it becomes necessary.

OTOH, there are guys like Martin Pike, Stereolab's manager who, aside from dealing with press, labels, etc. also updates the website, acts as tour manager and also sells the t-shirts at the shows.