Andy Johns notes pics...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JdJ
pushin' record

Andy Johns notes pics...

Post by JdJ » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:26 am

Just thought this might be of interest to a few...

https://www.platinumsamples.com/Trackin ... Notes.html

There is also a pic gallery link on the page right under the assistant's notes.

Hope it's useful to someone!

-J

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am

What a coincidence - same mics/room/drums/console/levels I use!
beware bee wear

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:30 pm

andy john's PR man wrote:Recorded in one of LA's greatest rock drum rooms using a classic Neve 80 series console and through the electronics of a Studer 800 24 track tape machine, the Classic Drums expansion pack truly demonstrates why Andy has achieved legendary status. Using no compression and only the console preamps and EQ's, and with each drum meticulously tuned by Andy himself -- the drums recorded in the Classic Drums expansion pack exhibit why the albums Andy has engineered and produced have sold over 150 million copies. To ensure that the drums would fit into a mix, and not to record the drums in a void, the drum sounds were checked with a rhythm section (drums, bass and guitar). The result is an expansion pack where you can load a drum kit and not neccesarily need to be an accomplished engineer to have some of the greatest recorded drums available in one of the most sought after drum rooms in the world on your own tracks!

During the recording process some microphones were changed, others moved, and only two Royer ribbon mics were killed...
bullshit on those royers. what a load of crap. this is a sales pitch for a fucking sample library, am i right?

wow, advertising is so useful and educational. i learned that i am shit compared to andy johns' and his (clients') sales figures. oh my god, that track list looks typed instead of printed! so authentic! he meticulously tuned the drums himself??? holy helling shit damn. EVERY DRUMMER METICUL.......forget it, forget it.....

i also learned not to record drums in a void. i'll have to call Limbo and cancel that tracking date i'd booked. luckily, i dont need to track anything anymore because i can just buy my drum sounds from some fat fuck in a pony tail who matters more than i.

fuck this guy. twice.

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Post by LVC_Jeff » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Holy microphones.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Devlarz » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:24 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:
andy john's PR man wrote:Recorded in one of LA's greatest rock drum rooms using a classic Neve 80 series console and through the electronics of a Studer 800 24 track tape machine, the Classic Drums expansion pack truly demonstrates why Andy has achieved legendary status. Using no compression and only the console preamps and EQ's, and with each drum meticulously tuned by Andy himself -- the drums recorded in the Classic Drums expansion pack exhibit why the albums Andy has engineered and produced have sold over 150 million copies. To ensure that the drums would fit into a mix, and not to record the drums in a void, the drum sounds were checked with a rhythm section (drums, bass and guitar). The result is an expansion pack where you can load a drum kit and not neccesarily need to be an accomplished engineer to have some of the greatest recorded drums available in one of the most sought after drum rooms in the world on your own tracks!

During the recording process some microphones were changed, others moved, and only two Royer ribbon mics were killed...
bullshit on those royers. what a load of crap. this is a sales pitch for a fucking sample library, am i right?

wow, advertising is so useful and educational. i learned that i am shit compared to andy johns' and his (clients') sales figures. oh my god, that track list looks typed instead of printed! so authentic! he meticulously tuned the drums himself??? holy helling shit damn. EVERY DRUMMER METICUL.......forget it, forget it.....

i also learned not to record drums in a void. i'll have to call Limbo and cancel that tracking date i'd booked. luckily, i dont need to track anything anymore because i can just buy my drum sounds from some fat fuck in a pony tail who matters more than i.

fuck this guy. twice.
Although much more vitriolic than I would care to put it...yeah similar sentiment. I'll do it myself thanks very much.
Well, the difference is that you strut and I stroll.

Petras

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm

yeah..oh man, sorry to the OP, i meant no offense to him, but christ, that ad is particularly blood boiling.

again about that royer bullshit: i am an engineer who actually kinda knows what i am doing. to me, that says this guy for all his experience recording led fucking zeppelin (yawn) and the stones (touche, andy johns...i have no smart ass retort for this) doesnt know how to properly operate the most rugged ribbon mic ever made. it does not mean he is a tough ass man's man who will cause your Reason sequences to throttle nerds and dominate sexy women.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:13 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote: it does not mean he is a tough ass man's man who will cause your Reason sequences to throttle nerds and dominate sexy women.
Adding as my new sig! Thanks!

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:09 pm

haha, sweet.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:33 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:

fuck this guy. twice.
Man quite the reaction to an advertising campaign. I am sorry this guy pissed you off so much just by having a drum sample library that had some marketing guy write a blurb. Some points on your retort.

1. Blowing royers, it can be done. Look where he put them, outside the kick. With my kick I would blow them in a few hits. Yes the royers are robust but maybe not that robust. Also if you are mad about it look at the budgets this guy is used to having. Paying for a few mics to be reribboned is small compared to the other waste that goes on.

2.I do not know what type of drummers you deal with but I would say 80% of the time I retune the drums after the drummer has already meticulously tuned them.

3. And why does a ponytail bother you? To each their own I say. I do not judge based on looks but on talent. If a person comes in and can play I am stoked.

Not to start a fight but sometimes I just can't believe the things I read. Everyone is trying to make a living and I guess that just irritates some people. More power to you.

Mike

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:56 pm

no fight necessary..... my problem is with manipulation, partial truths, and implications of not being part of some elite. it is disingenuous and gives the wrong impression to people learning how to record, in the name of bilking them out of their savings.

"everyone is trying to make a living......" yeah, like halliburton and check cashing stores. just trying to do their thing, who am i to judge 'em?

i'm sure royers can be blown and re-ribboned, especially with limitless cash, but again, the sentence from the ad implies a level of machismo and power heretofore unheard of in the engineeering world, and certainly not found in you, the reader. (which is why you need this product.) insulting.

i am a drummer, and if i need to assist someone with their tuning, so be it. however, this advertisement makes tuning drums "meticulously" sound completely out of reach of the common man. this is a basic skill that all engineers should familiarize themselves with, not purchase as a mass produced commodity (uh oh, my red is showing...) from some "expert" with no regard to their specific situation.

and the pony tail? ha, i'm just playing around! but seriously, they're sooooo lame.

Platinum Samples
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Platinum Samples » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:10 pm

Hmm.. where to begin....

We actually thought it was amusing that we blew up a couple of Royers... and BTW it only cost $200 to have them repaired.

The notes are indeed typewritten.. just as they came out of the assistant's laptop at the end of the session.

While you may be able to tune drums, I've worked with hundreds of top level engineers who never (and can't) tune the drums themselves. Which is why we also had a drum tech on the session.

Most sample sessions are done without any other instruments present - the fact that Andy wanted to ensure the drums worked with a rhythm section should be applauded.

When you have the credits that Andy has then perhaps you can talk - until then I think you should give him the respect he's earned.

Rail Jon Rogut
Last edited by Platinum Samples on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.platinumsamples.com
??????????????????????????????????????????????????

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Platinum Samples wrote:While you may be able to tune drums, I've worked with hundreds of top level engineers who never (and can't) tune the drums themselves. Which is why we also had a drum tech on the session.

When you have the credits that Andy has then perhaps you can talk - until then I think you should give him the respect he's earned.

Rail Jon Rogut
first off, i appreciate the professional response to my less-than-professional outburst. however, your ad states:
and with each drum meticulously tuned by Andy himself
so did he tune them, or the tech? did one take mondays, and one wednesdays? or was this is a parsing of words to boost the product's perception and not particularly "true" per se?

and you're right, i should respect andy's engineering abilities and i really never meant to demean them (and i dont think i did). but i dont even need to be an engineer at all to dislike smoke being blown up my ass, nor do i need massive commercial success to have and share an opinion.

man, i'm so sorry for making this thread about me. :( i thought joeysimms was much more clever anyway.

Platinum Samples

Post by Platinum Samples » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:49 pm

We hired a tech -- he put the heads on the drums.. (REMO supplied us with about 200 different drum heads) and placed them where they were required to be. Andy tuned every single drum himself.

Every word written on the web site is factual -- without any smoke up anyone's rear :) I actually have hours of video which was running during the process to prove it if you need :lol:

The pictures should speak for themselves.

Rail
www.platinumsamples.com

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:00 pm

i just like to think at tape op we teach each other how to fish. maybe we discuss the merits of different lures and rods, but the goal is for everyone who wants to to eventually feed themselves for a lifetime.

when someone comes by selling fish, i'd feel irresponsible if i didnt say that the deal smelled.... er.....

<{{{{--<

Platinum Samples

Post by Platinum Samples » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:06 pm

Fine -- but no one related to Platinum Samples posted on this thread (or has ever posted on Tape-Op)... except myself.

Perhaps the original poster thought the info and pictures may be of interest to the Tape-Op readers... there's certainly plenty to be learned from the info & pictures -- even for a seasoned engineer.

Rail Jon Rogut
www.platinumsamples.com