Whaddya Like? Nearfield Monitors??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

norton
buyin' a studio

Whaddya Like? Nearfield Monitors??

Post by norton » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:12 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my monitoring situation here... it's been on the radar forever.....but never made it to the front of the line.

The room's treated well and sounds pretty good (finally). Currently i'm working with some tannoy pbm 6.5's, and a pair of cheap yamaha bookshelf home speakers.

To me, the tannoy's sound a little tubby in the low end and sort of scooped out in the mids... Ideally i'd like whatever speakers i pickup to be fun to listen to as well translate mixes well.

I'm kinda leaning towards passive monitors $500 - $1k or so. Any ideas??? KRK? JBL? Adam?

thanks!

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:54 pm

Don't mean to sound like a broken record (to some, anyway) but try a set of B&W DM602's with a decent amp. Something magic about those boxes...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Auslander
ass engineer

Post by Auslander » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:15 am

I have always loved Tannoys since I started in this business. For the last 15 years I've used Tannoy LGM 10s in custom Mastering Lab cabs with the ML crossovers. Amazingly accurate and not flattering in the least.

At home I use B&W Matrix 803s, which relate very well to the Tannoys I have for the studio.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:40 am

B & W... ok, i'll definitely check them out. hi-fi stuff eh? works well for mixing etc.?

There's a local dealer that's super close and they look very interesting. I'll check them out for sure.

Probably a bit better quality than the mass marketed monitors at gc eh?

I wouldn't mind picking up a different set of tannoys at all. It's easy enough to hear around the "tubby" but the midrange is kind of tricky for me to figure out on them.

any other speakers out there worth considering??

thanks

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:44 am

I've got Tannoy PBM 6.5s. I don't have much to compare them to though, but others here have had good things to say about them. I've been finding they translate pretty well. Got 'em used for $100.

edit: oops, I didn't notice at first these are what you've already got. :oops:

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:53 am

I have a pair of the PBM 6.5s also, but my "main" nearfields are Hafler TRM8s. They seem to translate well, have a fairly wide sweet spot, and somehow sound "deeper". The sounstage just seems to be more open and extend further back. I don't know how to explain it other than to say that I can hear the space between sounds more clearly on the Haflers. The current model is marked as the TRM8.1, but I don't know what changes have been made.

Here's a review.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:42 am

I have a set of B&W 805s that I use and I absolutely love them, but they might be too similar to what you don't like about your Tannoys. A lot of guys I know who like hearing plenty of midrange detail have been using Dynaudios and apparently, those new Adams speakers are sort of similar. Like I said, I LOVE my 805s, but I would pretty much describe them like you described your 6.5s. I've used 6.5s and in the great scheme of things, I would say that their general characteristics are somewhat similar (compared to Dynaudios, Genelecs, NS10s, etc).

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Auslander
ass engineer

Post by Auslander » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:33 am

This morning, I was looking around for more info I could share with you guys about my monitors, and I stumbled upon this eBay auction for a pair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mastering-Lab-10-St ... dZViewItem

I bought mine in '92 for $2500 direct from Doug Sax. They are model #19 and #20, so they were the 10th pair.

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm digging the Dynaudio BM5as, they were around 1k, and the bass was better than I expected.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:02 pm

I like my Dick Sequerra Met7's a lot..

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:21 am

Allright.... lots of stuff that wasn't on the radar before. thanks.

I really do like the way the tannoy's sound, as far as being pleasant to listen to. But that lack of mid-range detail, is what's a stumbling block for me.

Would you guys say that the speakers in the family of Adam/Dynaudio/B&W and maybe KRK would be in the revealing but less spikey and fatiguing family of things??

I'd like to stay away from the ear fatigue..... gentle... wussy, i am.

Sequerra? wow.. hafler's? i'd like to stumble on a used pair of those too.
dynaudio and b&w i can track those down and give them a listen.

thanks folks.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:41 am

yeah sequerra www.sequerra.com

about $850 a pair new (passive)..I use a Bryston 4bst as the amp..totally awesome..I've seen a pair of older B&W's..they where junk in comparison..as far as build quality..can't comment on the sound though..people seem to like them..

I have heard the $1000 active dynaudios and was impressed..

Wharfedale diamonds are very useable..passive with a good amp there sounds a bit nicer than the active ones..but you can mix on either very well..the cheapest mixing speaker that delivers..

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:33 am

I just found a pair of JBL control 5's used, local...and cheap.

Any good?

A buddy of mine's got control 1's and to me they sounded pretty good. But I haven't had much luck trolling through the search engines here/gearslutz/etc/etc.. for reviews here.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:04 am

I have a massive pair of 70's Altecs that I use but am interested in getting something smaller/closer for more detailed mixing. What would you recommend for A/B-ing that would cost around $200-300?
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

tfred812
studio intern

Post by tfred812 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:14 am

Toolshed, how do you have your Met7s set up: How near the rear wall, with the sub or no, etc? Glad to find another Met7 enthusiast.

Oh, and if others are interested, they do show up on eBay occassionally. That's where I got mine.