Guitar question if you work in LA

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MusicEuphony
pluggin' in mics

Guitar question if you work in LA

Post by MusicEuphony » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:22 pm

I was just hoping for some references to good people and maybe some rates for professionals around the LA area that set up guitars for people. Intonation through repair work. I just bought some guitars and have a few that could use some work and I'm frankly just not very good at dealing with it myself. I figure it'll come in handy to know anyways for the guitarists who need it coming through the studio.

vatoben
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vatoben » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:01 am

there are two spots in the valley i've gone for set ups:

norman's rare guitars
18969 ventura blvd.
tarzana, ca 91356
818-344-8300

and

the amp shop
13701 ventura blvd.
sherman oaks, ca 91423
818-386-5500

both spots have done me well as far as quality, time and price. be careful though, norm's has alot of great guitars and the amp shop has tons of handmande pedals and amps. i sometimes go in for a strap and strings and come out with a maxed out mastercard.

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:49 pm

I can recommend the folks at True Tone Music, in Santa Monica.

I haven't had any work done there, so I'm recommending them only based on seening their work / playing their guitars, and because one of the guys who works there (David Jenkins) is a long time friend, whose opinion I trust, who told me that they do great repair work there.

(I used to live in LA.)
Pee-wee: [falls off bike after attempting tricks] I meant to do that!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:17 pm

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:36 pm

vatoben wrote:there are two spots in the valley i've gone for set ups:

norman's rare guitars
18969 ventura blvd.
tarzana, ca 91356
818-344-8300

and

the amp shop
13701 ventura blvd.
sherman oaks, ca 91423
818-386-5500

both spots have done me well as far as quality, time and price. be careful though, norm's has alot of great guitars and the amp shop has tons of handmande pedals and amps. i sometimes go in for a strap and strings and come out with a maxed out mastercard.
Norman's is, of course, legendary... but wierd to deal with if you're not Eddie Van Halen. The Amp Shop? Are you kidding me? Those guys are the WORST... total dicks. I used to live right down the street and every now and again I'd stop in to see if they had any new cool stuff... that Russian guy was like "buy something or get out." Well, that's the last time I EVER sent ANY of my clients to those corksmokers.

I'll tell ya a really cool little shop... I hope they're still around- California Vintage Guitars. They're on Van Nuys just north of Oxnard. Great guys, minor attitude, major service. They have this huge space set up like your living room and you can just go in there and wank all day long. There's even a killer mediteranean deli right next door. Those guys are the shit if you don't want to be treated like you're not Eddie Van Halen. Unless you ARE Eddie Van Halen and I'm sure they'd be really nice to you. No smoking in the store though, sorry Ed...
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:37 pm

jayf wrote:I can recommend the folks at True Tone Music, in Santa Monica.

I haven't had any work done there, so I'm recommending them only based on seening their work / playing their guitars, and because one of the guys who works there (David Jenkins) is a long time friend, whose opinion I trust, who told me that they do great repair work there.

(I used to live in LA.)
Yeah those guys are pretty cool too. Great selection of off-the-wall boutiqe amps too... like those 6 watt jobs that just slay.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:01 pm

John Westcott 818.761.4156

He does all guitar repairs in his converted garage. I've brought several guitars to him over the past 5 years and have never had a bad experience. Quick turnaround and fair prices. Most of all, great work!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:10 pm

wayne kerr wrote:The Amp Shop? Are you kidding me? Those guys are the WORST... total dicks.
Holy crap, Sissy and I actually agree on something!!