Akai S1000

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dubold
steve albini likes it

Akai S1000

Post by dubold » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:33 am

so, a friend of mine is getting rid of his akai s1000 sampler. is there a way to back up the samples to cd, or a hard drive (using mac compatible programs)?

thanks,

d

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Akai S1000

Post by blakbeltjonez » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:33 pm

dubold wrote:so, a friend of mine is getting rid of his akai s1000 sampler. is there a way to back up the samples to cd, or a hard drive (using mac compatible programs)?

thanks,

d
only if you have an older Mac with SCSI - or hook another SCSI drive up to it and copy teh drive. older versions of Toast would let you do a SCSI copy of the drive as a disc image or burn directly to CD (you could make your own Akai sample CD's), i want to say it was toast 3 or 4... but you'd need an OS 9 Mac with a SCSI CD burner (either internal or external). i keep an old 9600 around for just that purpose (and to use Peak & Recycle back and forth between an E-Mu E6400). you can use apps like CDXtract or Chicken Systems Translator to read the drive/disc.

if you don't have one, pre-G3 SCSI equipped Macs are mega dirt cheap, sometimes near to the point of being free. essential to have with SCSI samplers. modern Macs seem to have forsaken any semblance of SCSI compatibility, i don't think OS X and SCSI get along.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Re: Akai S1000

Post by TapeOpAndy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:08 pm

blakbeltjonez wrote:modern Macs seem to have forsaken any semblance of SCSI compatibility, i don't think OS X and SCSI get along.
I use hot-swappable SCSI discs on two of my OS X Macs, no prob. OS X loves SCSI and has SCSI drivers built-in.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:27 am

I love those Akais, but man, did I get sick of SCSI and floppy discs. I sold my S5000 before the market crashed completely and bought Kontakt, which translated all the samples for me...

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:23 am

I have an old Akai S20. It was a fun little box, but man the floppy thing and memory limitation just killed me. I still have it and have been kicking around the idea of just using it as an extra sound bank for my electric drum kit but I need to find an easier way to get samples on it- preferably from PC to floppy, then to the Akai.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:45 am

I have a better idea. Buy a slightly older, used laptop (Mac or PC). Pick up a copy of Native Instrument's Intakt and an inexpensive FW or usb audio/MIDI interface. Now you have a powerful sampler with plenty of storage space, expansion, and the ability to backup to CDR. Also, Intakt will function just like Recycle, so you can get really creative with your loop-based samples.

Just my $.02

Jeff