Recording guitars direct: give it to me.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:18 am

these_go211 wrote:i'm surprised no one has mentioned the v-stack http://www.v-stack.com/ sounds great!
I just might give that a try...the Tweedy has the best reviews on Harmony-Central I've ever seen for any pedal, ever. And it appears to be a bit off the beaten path.

It's true, I do like messing with sounds, I'm a big tweaker...I can't resist trying out new a device, doing an album with it, then selling it, then regretting selling it, then re-buying it later, and selling it again.

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:39 am

inverseroom wrote: I guess my interest in hardware amp sims is this: there is something EXCITING about a guitar through an amp, and the sound of it WHILE PLAYING can really add to the performance. I'm a mediocre player, so I depend on that excitement to make my performances appealing...processing afterward can make a track sound great, but it can't get me going while tracking.

this very very true

you've just made me realise why I like my Behringer V Amp so much, it's not that great sounding, but it's so much fun... rather then having to rebuild a guitar sound after the fact with 3 or 4 plug ins...

please note this is not a recomendation for the Behringer V Amp
INDIE TILL I DIE

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:24 am

Havent read through this whole thread, but in my experience Guitar Rig sounds pretty damn good. It's also virtually unusable in any session with an average to above average track/plugin count as it eats my system resources for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...

I guess you could bounce the track out and then import it though.

Im on a pentium 4 2.0 ghz with 512 RAM
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 pm

inverseroom wrote:
these_go211 wrote:i'm surprised no one has mentioned the v-stack http://www.v-stack.com/ sounds great!
I just might give that a try...the Tweedy has the best reviews on Harmony-Central I've ever seen for any pedal, ever. And it appears to be a bit off the beaten path.

It's true, I do like messing with sounds, I'm a big tweaker...I can't resist trying out new a device, doing an album with it, then selling it, then regretting selling it, then re-buying it later, and selling it again.
I have the Tweedy & the Classic and I LOVE them. I'd say the Classic might be better for dirty tones, and the tweedy better for clean, but they both can do clean and dirty very well. I've tried the POD, the Johnson J-station, Sansamp, and yes, the Rockman, and the v-stack stuff sounds so much better to me. The other thing is, they are analog, so there are no problems with aliasing or latency or any other digital quirks.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:04 pm

jv wrote:
inverseroom wrote:

I have the Tweedy & the Classic and I LOVE them. I'd say the Classic might be better for dirty tones, and the tweedy better for clean, but they both can do clean and dirty very well. I've tried the POD, the Johnson J-station, Sansamp, and yes, the Rockman, and the v-stack stuff sounds so much better to me. The other thing is, they are analog, so there are no problems with aliasing or latency or any other digital quirks.
I found some random messageboard thread that said the tweedy was no good for clean. Is this not true? It sounds like just want I could use right now otherwise!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 pm

inverseroom wrote:Ha ha!!! Rockman!
indeed, but that was like 1986-1989 i used it for some things.

i still have it somewhere in a FourDesigns Rockmount. :oops:
inverseroom wrote:Like I said, I liked the PSA-1, but it eventually sounded too...something[\i] for me. I didn't like the clean sounds, I think. But it is definitely a great unit, and worth adding to the arsenal, though not for $600.

aye, but maybe for $300.

inverseroom wrote:Welcome back, Ref...

thx, but i'm still not home.

in fact, i'm climbing a mountain today.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm

inverseroom wrote: I found some random messageboard thread that said the tweedy was no good for clean. Is this not true? It sounds like just want I could use right now otherwise!
I'm not sure why someone would say that, maybe they had the gain turned up a bit too much. The clean range is probably in the lower 1/4 of the gain pot. Another thing about these pedals is that they are very sensitive to guitar volume, and pedals in front of them. I've had best results putting other pedals after them.

chris almighty
studio intern

Post by chris almighty » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:51 pm

I hear alot about simulating good amps, but actual direct guitar. Has anyone mentioned the Red Box? It's a cabinet simulator straight out of your head. I've used it and loved it and I've hated it other times. I don't know. Anyone use one?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:04 pm

jv wrote:
inverseroom wrote: I found some random messageboard thread that said the tweedy was no good for clean. Is this not true? It sounds like just want I could use right now otherwise!
I'm not sure why someone would say that, maybe they had the gain turned up a bit too much. The clean range is probably in the lower 1/4 of the gain pot. Another thing about these pedals is that they are very sensitive to guitar volume, and pedals in front of them. I've had best results putting other pedals after them.
Tube amps are totally sensitive to voltage at the input stage. Back off the guitar's volume and increase the amps volume and you'll get much cleaner, richer results.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:49 am

chris almighty wrote:I hear alot about simulating good amps, but actual direct guitar. Has anyone mentioned the Red Box? It's a cabinet simulator straight out of your head. I've used it and loved it and I've hated it other times. I don't know. Anyone use one?
I wrote about the Red Box on the previous page.

Used it for over ten years. The trick is to use it on the speaker output of your power amp, not the line output of the preamp. If you're using a tube power amp you must plug in speakers or passive load, and don't connect the red box with the amp on or you will damage the red box.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:28 am

i've got the vstack classic by the way. was impressed from the first day i tried it. you don't have to mess with it a lot to get a good sound as there aren't that mnay controls on it!
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:29 pm

inverseroom...

i like to record direct(ly) in front of a marshall 4x12 with a hiwatt head dimed.

that's cuz it's rock, and i roll like that.

or something.

(btw, your guitars sound fine...do you use the behringer noise reducer w/ the tonelab?)

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:58 am

wardshorsehead wrote:inverseroom...

i like to record direct(ly) in front of a marshall 4x12 with a hiwatt head dimed.

that's cuz it's rock, and i roll like that.

or something.

(btw, your guitars sound fine...do you use the behringer noise reducer w/ the tonelab?)
Nah, I just leave in the noise. It's fussy of me not to like it, I know. I mean, when there's a little noise from a tube amp, THAT doesn't bother me, right? And I voluntarily ADD noise to synth patches. :? The Tonelab and all the Valvetronix amps have their own NR but it truly sucks...the note decays sound AWFUL, like they're being dragged around town by a pickup truck.

That Behringer unit sure is a great problem solver though.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:59 am

One irritating thing is that the Tonelab doesn't have that wattage knob that the Valvetronix amps do. All you have to do to kill the noise on those is turn down the wattage. :(

motorlynx
audio school

recording guitar dry.

Post by motorlynx » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:38 am

As a suggestion you may not have thought of, try buying a small amp, build an enclosure for it ( a wooden box with padding ) and experiment with mic placement with-in it. Ya never know, it might work a treat.
Nature isn't something apart from us, it is a part of us! Take a walk in a forest, you'll be glad you did.