Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

slowblue
gettin' sounds

SM Pro Audio Summing Box

Post by slowblue » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:37 pm

Anyone tried this box?

http://www.smproaudio.com/PM8.htm

Looks pretty cool, anyone used a sytek w or w/o BB for summing makeup gain on this or the Folcrom? How's it work? I've got a Sytek, one channel of Great River and a Bellari pre. Damn.

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm

SM Pro sent me one about a month ago. I took a quick look at it, but one of my employees absconded with it and hasn't brought it back.

It has two active outputs and one passive out. The passive out doesn't seem to like microphone preamp inputs very much. We tried it with a Great River, and it was pretty noisy.

You could easily change the two active output stage opamps out. Use an OPA2134 or similar.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:04 pm

puffpastry wrote:SM Pro sent me one about a month ago. I took a quick look at it, but one of my employees absconded with it and hasn't brought it back.

It has two active outputs and one passive out. The passive out doesn't seem to like microphone preamp inputs very much. We tried it with a Great River, and it was pretty noisy.

You could easily change the two active output stage opamps out. Use an OPA2134 or similar.
Hey PuffPastry...is noise normally associated with passive output? I would assume that it would be the opposite.. :shock: .. Thanks.!