what is the musical equivalent of Impressionism?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:58 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:the Books
I love the Books

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:03 pm

inverseroom wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:the Books
I love the Books
You should, you're a writer.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:21 pm

does that mean we need to keep an eye on you around the pages???
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:05 pm

My first thought is the pattern-based minimalism of people like Terry Riley and Steve Reich,

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:47 pm

Well, there was a movement in music in the early 20th c. called Impressionism. Wikipedia it!

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

Miles!

Post by lukievan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:34 pm

I vote for the Miles Davis Quintet from the mid-60's with Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and Tony Wiliams. Some of the most remarkable group interplay ever. Although the compositions have strong themes and the playing is souful and passionate, their is something very non-linear going on; Wayne Shorter's melodies (he wrote much of the material) are elliptical and slippery, and the harmonic structure can sometimes feel bit ambiguous and unresolved, in a good way.
The structure on the earlier albums (i.e. E.S.P., Miles Smiles) tends to be traditional, in that the group plays a theme, they take turns soloing, and then return to the theme. But within that structure is a telepathic improvisatory interplay that gives each moment the sense of being both free of device or cliche and like it was absolutely meant to be played just that way. On later albums, like Nefertiti and Filles de Kilamanjaro, the group dispenses with the soloing and just plays themes, over and over, reinterpreting them each go-round with different harmony, rhythm, inflection, intent. I think some of the music this group played together fits the Impressionistic label, although it generates a bit more heat than some of the visual artists do.
Also check out keyboardist Joe Zawinul - his stuff with Miles but also early Weather Report (with Wayne Shorter) is even more smeared and blurry and borders on ambient. Rhodes piano as paintbrush.
Last edited by lukievan on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:01 pm

Granular synthesis.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:14 pm

How about that radio static between the stations.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:37 pm

Spirit of Eden.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:28 pm

Deerhoof.

*limps away leaving trail of gnawed and greasy satay skewers*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

xSALx
pushin' record

Re: Miles!

Post by xSALx » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:47 am

lukievan wrote:I vote for the Miles Davis Quintet from the mid-60's with Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and Tony Wiliams. Some of the most remarkable group interplay ever. Although the compositions have strong themes and the playing is souful and passionate, their is something very non-linear going on; Wayne Shorter's melodies (he wrote much of the material) are elliptical and slippery, and the harmonic structure can sometimes feel bit ambiguous and unresolved, in a good way.
The structure on the earlier albums (i.e. E.S.P., Miles Smiles) tends to be traditional, in that the group plays a theme, they take turns soloing, and then return to the theme. But within that structure is a telepathic improvisatory interplay that gives each moment the sense of being both free of device or cliche and like it was absolutely meant to be played just that way. On later albums, like Nefertiti and Filles de Kilamanjaro, the group dispenses with the soloing and just plays themes, over and over, reinterpreting them each go-round with different harmony, rhythm, inflection, intent. I think some of the music this group played together fits the Impressionistic label, although it generates a bit more heat than some of the visual artists do.
Also check out keyboardist Joe Zawinul - his stuff with Miles but also early Weather Report (with Wayne Shorter) is even more smeared and blurry and borders on ambient. Rhodes piano as paintbrush.
Sketches of Spain comes to mind when thinking of impressionism.
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:26 am

+2 spirit of eden.

erik satie, cage (the early prepared piano stuff, though there's more than a bit of jean arp in there as well).

logancircle
tinnitus

jammy

Post by logancircle » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:41 am

But what is the visual-art equivalent of modern jam bands like Phish and moe? Jackson Pollack would be way too far-out, right?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: jammy

Post by ubertar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:46 am

logancircle wrote:But what is the visual-art equivalent of modern jam bands like Phish and moe? Jackson Pollack would be way too far-out, right?
Pollock makes me think of Ornette Coleman.
Jam bands probably correspond to paintings that are hanging in coffee shops somewhere, not museums or galleries.

???????
resurrected

Re: jammy

Post by ??????? » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:05 am

ubertar wrote:
logancircle wrote:But what is the visual-art equivalent of modern jam bands like Phish and moe? Jackson Pollack would be way too far-out, right?
Pollock makes me think of Ornette Coleman.
Jam bands probably correspond to paintings that are hanging in coffee shops somewhere, not museums or galleries.
Wow, that's the snottiest thing I've ever heard! :D

Not that I disagree. :)

I don't get the thing about Ornette though. I think most of the 'outness' ascribed to him is projected. The double quartet album was pretty progressive, but lots of the most popular stuff (shape of jazz to come etc) is very tuneful, melodic, and consonant. Dare I say "boppish?" I think the conventional wisdom calling Coleman "avant" is like 30 years outdated.

How 'bout the late great Derek Bailey for the Pollack comparison?