tape sync'ing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

motorlynx
audio school

tape sync'ing

Post by motorlynx » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:12 am

Hi guy's, This is a first time log-in so I hope I'm in the right area. I have a question for you that I hope someone can help me with. I have an awesome sounding Otari mx 5050mklll 8 track 1/2 inch, I am also about to buy a tascam msr 1/2 inch 16 track. The idea is to sync both together so I have a nice number of analogue i/o's. Is this possible, and how would I go about it?
I have been recording to computer for over ten years using protools. A mate presented me with the otari at a price I could not refuse. I took it without really wanting it and platched it into my studio. Wham, bam, thankyou mister space man! It really does sound that awesome. The 2 db shift around the 100 mhz is nice and the saturation is golden, I'm hooked.

So, can any body help me out there??

p.s By the way in case anybody's interested, Tasmania is a beautiful Island at the bottom of Australia, clean air, rain forests, blue water and white sands.
Nature isn't something apart from us, it is a part of us! Take a walk in a forest, you'll be glad you did.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:32 am

Might be better in 'Gear Talk' but whatever...:)

You will need a synchroniser specifically for syncing analog transports, one that can control the transport of at least one of those decks. Tascam made one that I think is compatible with your MSR, and I think either a TimeLine Lynx or an Adams-Smith Zeta Three could control that Otari.
You will then stripe SMPTE on one track of each deck, which will be fed to the sync box to tell everybody where everybody else is. Yes, one track on each machine must be dedicated to time code.

That's the short of the long of it at least.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:06 am

OR - Just fill up 8 tracks on the tascam and bounce to a pair of tracks on the otari.
beware bee wear

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:25 am

joeysimms wrote:OR - Just fill up 8 tracks on the tascam and bounce to a pair of tracks on the otari.
I like that method, too, except wouldn't one do it the other way 'round..!?
Or maybe fill up 16 tracks on the Tascam, then bounce to the Otari for final overdubs, taking advantage of the wider tracks fir fidelity in the bounce?!?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

motorlynx
audio school

tape syncing

Post by motorlynx » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks for the replies guy's, I appreciate it. I'll get on to source'ing those items..

:O)

cheers
Nature isn't something apart from us, it is a part of us! Take a walk in a forest, you'll be glad you did.

GregW
audio school graduate

Post by GregW » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:06 am

(2 db shift at 100 MHz?? Wow, that's some machine!! :-)

But anyway...

I know that the TASCAM ATS-500 will control the MSR-16 and the TSR-8 (1/2" 8-track) because I've done it. These devices, and some other TASCAM things, use the Accessory 2 protocol/hookup/whatever. (I think the MSR-24 and 238 can also be controlled by Accessory 2, and I know there is one other synchronizer...perhaps the Midiizer or MMC-100?? Just guessing...)

You'd do a code-only sync. Stripe SMPTE (use 30 fps, nd) on the last track of BOTH machines. The ATS will generate it for you. There's a little setup procedure to get the ATS to talk to the MSR. After all of that, you just hit "play" on the Otari, and the ATS will see the SMPTE, and tell the MSR to start playing, keeping it in sync.

I think the MSR also does Accessory 1 sync as well. I'm under the impression that this protocol is a bit more universal. I know that TASCAM made the ES50 and ES51 for that, and other manufacturers made other compatabile boxes. I've also heard of the Timeline Lynx and Adam-Smith Zeta...perhaps they are Accessory 1??

You can also try gearslutz.com, tascamforums.com and the old-fashioned Usenet newsgroup rec.audio.pro (Look it up on google groups.)

Have fun!! Analog rocks, and getting this older technology to work is pretty cool.

-GRW
N.O.M.A.D. Travelling Recording Studio.
http://world.std.com/~grw
"Keep it off my wave" -Soundgarden
"America may not be perfect, but it's done fu***** all right by me." -John Valby

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:10 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
joeysimms wrote:OR - Just fill up 8 tracks on the tascam and bounce to a pair of tracks on the otari.
I like that method, too, except wouldn't one do it the other way 'round..!?
Or maybe fill up 16 tracks on the Tascam, then bounce to the Otari for final overdubs, taking advantage of the wider tracks fir fidelity in the bounce?!?
DOH! Didn't realize he meant 16 trk tascam.. Still: fill up the tascam, finish on the (better-sounding) otari.
beware bee wear

motorlynx
audio school

Post by motorlynx » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:17 pm

Ha,ha,ha, yeah maybe it isnt such a mega hertz, it only hertz a little. ooooo! thats a bad one but I'm to embarrased to come up with anything else. I really appreciate your help guys. This is a great site, I 'm still finding my way around it though. Keep rock'n. :lol: