what is the recipe for an amazing sounding triangle?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

what is the recipe for an amazing sounding triangle?

Post by runrunrun » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:02 am

i recorded some triangle for a few songs i am working on and the tone sounds pretty good. (KM84 > PM1000 > Digi 001)

the hits are fairly consistent, but not as even as i would like them. ive been playing with compression and minor gating, which definitely helps, its just not quite there yet.

i am contemplating picking the best hit and copying it for all of them, but im not ready for that yet. anyone have any other suggestions?

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:09 am

If the triangle is a fairly steady part, or at least regularly comes and goes in a single song, I prefer NOT to pick the best single one and drop it everywhere. That usually sounds to "mechanical" or "generated" or something to me. Not organic like a real triangle. You tried to get 'em all the same and didn't quite make it, right? Welcome to the triangle...they can be like that. Instead of finding the best one, I look for the crappiest two or three, and replace those with one of the keepers; sometimes the same keeper, sometimes several different of the keepers. I try to work with the flow and mood of the song so the edits sound more like part of the performance than an edit or a 'dub.

If the part is spare, and the triangle is just a single hit for emphasis, then maybe you can get away with using the same one. Distance between hits in a song really helps with the "copy one everywhere" approach...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:14 am

djimbe wrote:Instead of finding the best one, I look for the crappiest two or three, and replace those with one of the keepers; sometimes the same keeper, sometimes several different of the keepers. /quote]

good advice

if you do end up cutting pasting, try and find a few hits and arrange them in a row, if you then have to copy or loop this do it in 3 or 5's or 6's, not 4's or 8's cause I find (if your songs in 4/4) you start getting a loopy pattern off them, rather then a natural feel
INDIE TILL I DIE

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:41 am

Sidenote:

This sounds really retarded, but do you have a good sounding triangle? There's a big difference btw a cheap 9 dollar guitar center triangle and a nice Grover or whatever. The cheap ones sound really muddy in comparison

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: what is the recipe for an amazing sounding triangle?

Post by joeysimms » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:25 am

out of tune wrote:i recorded some triangle for a few songs i am working on and the tone sounds pretty good. (KM84 > PM1000 > Digi 001)

the hits are fairly consistent, but not as even as i would like them. ive been playing with compression and minor gating, which definitely helps, its just not quite there yet.

i am contemplating picking the best hit and copying it for all of them, but im not ready for that yet. anyone have any other suggestions?
haha! For some reason I assumed this thread was a put-on..

I would say just practice a bit getting the hits more consistent. I don't agree with cutting and pasting. What fun is that?
beware bee wear

xusr
pluggin' in mics

Post by xusr » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:13 pm

This sounds really retarded, but do you have a good sounding triangle
It's so true, though. Black Swamp also makes fantastic triangles. They're not cheap, but they are the real deal. Also, check out the beater you are using; it could help to go lighter or heavier, depending on the capability of the percussionist.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:25 pm

i used a cheap triangle that sounds pretty good, im sure a more expensive one would help but its not a real high priority right now.

i think i might do a little cutting and pasting as per djimbes advice. thanks for the tips.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:18 pm

No doubt about securing a quality source to begin with. I was reluctant accompaniment to a lesser mortal who still shops at guitar center (just kidding), where I experienced first-hand that which is the "guitar center triangle". I am not sure what series of harmonics should be expected from a triangle, however, the tone emitted was all over the place. A filtered derivative of white noise...absolutely unusable musically. I would also start with a decent instrument.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:26 pm

Don't forget the where you hit the triangle and the space you play it in make a ginormus difference.
Last edited by drumsound on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:20 pm

I so wanted to post a picture of Ed Grimley...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Dear OOT,

In textbooks I've read on arranging for orchestra they relate that because of the unique harmonic series (up to pooch hearing only frequencies) of the triangle little thought need be given to it being heard in the densest arrangement. The amount of massed strings, horn blasts, kettle drum rolls, etc. that occur concurrently are of no consequence - the conservatory dude's way of saying "it'll cut through the mix".

This leads me to suggest (although I haven't tried it) that having the trianglist (?) play while tracking the drums wiould be picked up fine by the room or overhead mics.

Making it more organic to the percussion? I don't know; just thinking out loud. Not worthy to even be called my two cents.

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****