DAW computer monitor in the middle or on the side....?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mertmo
buyin' gear

DAW computer monitor in the middle or on the side....?

Post by mertmo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:47 am

I have tried it both ways. Right now it's on the side, mostly because when it
was in the middle it was so far away from my head that I was experiencing
some serious eye strain. Also, I could tell that it was really screwing with the
soundfield between the speakers. Now that it's on the side, my eye strain
problems are gone. BUT, I'm finding myself mixing more and more in the box, to the point where I could possibly just lose the console altogether.
(mackie 24x8). The thing is, I don't like doing all my mixing work while turned
90 degrees to the side of the speakers! Bugs the shit out of me.
So now I'm thinking about all this stuff: speaker placement, computer monitor
placement, integrity of the soundfield, reflective bullsh*t like having the console (which I barely use) right in front of me...

I searched through all the threads in this section and couldn't find a definitive
discussion about the merits of where the computer monitor goes. You guys
feel like discussing? :D Seems like many of you have the monitor in the
middle, from the pics I see. (sorry I can't post pics of my own setup right now.) Do you have problems with phasing? Me and a buddy (chuckfurock -- he he, sold you out, dude.) were messing around with moving an LCD monitor closer and farther away while listening and the degree to which it
was messing with the phasing of the soundfield was ASTONISHING! Freaked
us both out... But turned to the side while working...UGHH!

Help...?

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:33 pm

I have mine on a swing arm over my console, so when I'm editing or mixing, it's right in front of me. If I'm tracking and I have someone on the other side of the glass, I can swing it off to one side, so I can see the talent.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:39 pm

Just a thought, but what about flush or surface mounting them in the desk like newscasters do? You would be able to have your board smack in the middle of your desk anymore, but if you are doing most of you mixing in the box lately, that should be too big of a deal. Move the board off to the side so it is at easy access for tracking if you are still using it to get into "the box". I don't know what your desk is, or if you would be willing to modify it at all (or if it could even stand up to such treatment) but might be a neat idea and seems like it would solve the solution of eye strain and monitor interference. Either that, or REALLY ugly/tacky.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:18 pm

Just a thought, but what about flush or surface mounting them in the desk like newscasters do? You would be able to have your board smack in the middle of your desk anymore, but if you are doing most of you mixing in the box lately, that should be too big of a deal. Move the board off to the side so it is at easy access for tracking if you are still using it to get into "the box". I don't know what your desk is, or if you would be willing to modify it at all (or if it could even stand up to such treatment) but might be a neat idea and seems like it would solve the solution of eye strain and monitor interference. Either that, or REALLY ugly/tacky.
I like this idea. More like a mastering studio I guess. Hmmm...
I think you would probably have to build a custom desk for this application if you wanted to do it right.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:02 am

i used to have my monitor on a mounting arm so it was suspended above the console. worked out well. there is a picture on my website.
http://www.5dstudios.com/studio/
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:54 pm

Cool. Thanks for the post and the link!