plugin newbie

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tony moore
pushin' record

plugin newbie

Post by tony moore » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:29 pm

I've used only the plugins that came in PTLE and now I'm using the plugins that came with Garageband 3/Logic.

Where can I go to learn the basic types of plugs and what types can be used where?

I've heard folks mention "wrappers" but I don't know what they really are, where i get 'em and how I used 'em.

If it matters, I'm on a MacBook (Intel) and currently using Garageband and Logic. I do have PTLE 7 on here too, but my old mBox died...

Thanks!

Tony

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:50 pm

the wrappers allow you to use one type of plugin in a program that doesn't support that type of plugin. For instance, PTLE only allows RTAS plugins. You can buy a wrapper that allows you to use VST plugins in PTLE. There are a few wrappers out there but I think FxPansion has pretty much cornered the market at this point.

there's no real sonic difference between all of the types of plugins (RTAS, VST, AU...). it's more to do with software architecture.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:53 am

haha - welcome to this world Tony. We've come a long way, eh?

Yes - RTAS plugs work in Pro Tools. VST plugs work in pro tools using the VST wrapper. There's some extensive conversations at gearslutz about plugins. Massey plugins are cheap and effective. Also, the DUC Digidesign forum offers lots of info on plugs. Good luck!