Why do people hate the Rode NT1A

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:46 am

re: recommendations:

AT4033

cheap, sounds good. It's maybe twice as much as the NT1-A on the used market, but far more than twice as good, IMO.

Karwreck
audio school

Post by Karwreck » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:48 am

hmm. isn't mic selection supposed to be subjective? my friend bought an NT-1A because he's cheap, but it wound up working for his voice really, really well. we tried other mic's, including my U-87 and it just wasn't the same. the NT-1A was better for his "unusual" vocals. Check it out at www.myspace.com/thespecimen. All vocals and acoustic guitars done with a $199 NT-1A.

John E. RokkeR
pluggin' in mics

Post by John E. RokkeR » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:51 am

i've got a K2 that i run through the focusrite Penta -> yamaha 01v -> hammerfall card -> sonar 3.

i'm loving it so far.

i don't have much experience with the nt1a though.
"If you're not done admiring our hair, we have pictures available at the merch table." -Jason Decay, Goat Horn.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:44 pm

As far as cheap condenser recommendations;

The MXL 2001 is tizzy on the top end but I've had good results recording acoustic guitar with it. It also works well as a drum room mic. You can pick one of these up for about $60.

The best all around drum mic (not for kick) that I've found so far is the AT Pro 37 SDC. They sound very good and can really take high volumes without farting. I have an MXL 603s and the Pro 37 sounds quite a bit better on drums IMO. I just bought another one from 8th Street for $99.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Say what you want about the NT-1, but I like it alot for some vocals (I've got the original NT-1, not the 1-A). I prefer it over the other admittedly limited choice of LDCs that I own on certain things (414 ULS, NT-K). I'm sure you can find better mics, but for less than 200 new, I've spent alot more for gear that was more useless.
Karwreck wrote:hmm. isn't mic selection supposed to be subjective? my friend bought an NT-1A because he's cheap, but it wound up working for his voice really, really well. we tried other mic's, including my U-87 and it just wasn't the same. the NT-1A was better for his "unusual" vocals. Check it out at www.myspace.com/thespecimen. All vocals and acoustic guitars done with a $199 NT-1A.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:32 pm

+1 on the AT Pro 37 - just so many ways to make this mic work well in simple setups - like over the snare in the recorderman setup, or overhead w/ 57s under the snare and inside the kick, or in the heart of a kit w/ a 57 overhead and a headphone outside the kick...hell, using those three you've got the hi'fi, mid'fi, and lo'fi sounds covered.
which has nothing to do with rode, cos i've never tried one
Village Idiot.

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by supersockmonkey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:57 pm

I dig em, I have both nt1 & 1a. Ive used them on ac gtr, gtr amps & vox and have had good results. granted im semi new and dont own a mic closet but im happy with the sounds. been using a ADK Area 51TT lately for vox. i havent had to record drums yet so good luck and have fun.
Cheers.
*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:00 pm

Harry wrote:Rode mics tend to be bright sounding...people recording digital aren't looking for a bright sounding mic.

I have a K2 that I could not stand going into my digital yamaha board,but now it's going through an analog tascam board and it sounds really good.

that could explain some of the "hate"???

As far as quality goes..I've never had an issue but I've heard people rave about how they dropped(or threw?) a mic and broke it...sent it to Rode and was fixed for free no questions asked.....That sounds good to me.

Harry

I might like them then I like a bright crisp sounding acoustic guitar, but im recording digital

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:13 am

I have the NT1, and I think we need to put this mic in context:

When it was first built (circa 1997), computer based recording hadn't taken off yet. If I recall the marketing literature, it said that this mic was a "tribute" to the mics from "an earlier era".

Translation: this mic is really designed for tape and thicker preamps. I definitely wouldn't put this through a cheap transformerless pre for a straight recording.

I have used this in the "worst" way possible (NT1 --> Mackie original 1202 preamp --> minidisc), but I was using it for a voice over sequence that had to be bright and ethereal, and it worked brilliantly for that effect, especially through the crappy PA speakers at the theater that

But I'll tell you what the NT1 is great for: distance micing. I have used it in really tough situations, and I'm always amazed how much it actually picks up, especially in a dead room. And it's not messy.

It also worked great with my 238s cassette recording setup. The high end of the NT1 was an advantage.

Don't write off this or any other mic. Find out what each mic is good at. It's all good knowledge.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:41 am

I've got a NT2 that I really like for vocals for the male singer in my band. It is on the bright side but it sits really well in the mix. Never used the NT1 but every rode mic I've used was on the bright side.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:34 pm

So my best bet if I want to record acoustic guitars and drums is a CAD M179. Alot of people on here have said good things about them and they have a pretty good review on zsounds.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Can anybody help me? I think Im going to get the CAD M179 mic. Anybody got one, how good is it on drums and acoustic guitar?

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:15 pm

That was my first LDC too. Got a pair of them for 200. You never forget your first no matter how cheap it was......... :wink: I used them on drum overheards but that was to tape...I don't think I've ever used them on PT.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:18 pm

Mane1234 wrote:That was my first LDC too. Got a pair of them for 200. You never forget your first no matter how cheap it was......... :wink: I used them on drum overheards but that was to tape...I don't think I've ever used them on PT.
Wich mic are you talking about the Rode NT1A