Ditching your plugins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Ditching your plugins

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:00 pm

I just went out and bought a Nord Electro 2 rack for organ/vintage keyboard sounds, even though I felt I could get slightly better sounds in virtual instruments for cheaper, and I don't regret it. I felt like a burden was lifted off of my shoulder, freeing me up from my computer and these silly licenses, and other hassles. Alot of software instruments sound great, but I haven't really enjoyed playing them any where near as much as even my piece of shit 200 dollar Yamaha keyboard. You just stare at a monitor, instead of getting instant tactile stimulation, and wait for your computer to do something extremely irritiating (like telling you the program won't start unless you have your installation cd that's hidden under a stack of shit in your basement). And what's worse, after spending a bunch of money, you don't even "own" the software. You have a room full of obsolete software that you can't even give away (literally, that's what alot of licensing agreements say). It's sort of a bummer, because while these software instruments are using huge multi-samples , most keyboards are using pretty rinky-dink samples (like 64 mb or far less), and then using a bunch of filters to make the sound better. But even with these limitations, I still like hardware instruments better because they're funner to play.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:05 pm

you can't touch this.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:07 pm

But I can, and did, touch yo mama!
JASIII wrote:you can't touch this.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:18 pm

Have an Electro 2 and I love it, for many of the same reasons. Also I can take it to gigs and band practices. That being said, I do drool over the Stage 88.

I feel the same way about guitar processing. I much prefer real amps and pedals over the plug-in stuff.

Todd Wilcox

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Someday soon my G5 will retire from recording and become the most powerful sampler, ever.