Is worth it to exchange the Digi 001 for the Digi 002?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

swedishstudios
alignin' 24-trk

Is worth it to exchange the Digi 001 for the Digi 002?

Post by swedishstudios » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:42 am

Right now I'm using a Digi 001 with Pro Tools LE 5.3 connected to Mackie 1402 mixer (for all my inputs). I have been looking at the Digi 002 for a while now becuase of the all the software updates and such, but would it really be worth it to go from 18 inputs/outputs to only 4 with the Digi 002?! Or did I miss something? Is there a way to utilize my Mackie mixer in junction with the Digi 002, as I do now with my Digi 001? Help. :shock:
late night recording sessions sound the best.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:17 pm

digi 002 has the same amount of I/O as 001 (8 analog I/O, lightpipe I/O. SPDIF I/O) only it has 4 preamps instead of 2. integration of your mackie should be identical.
benefits of the 002 are that you get PTLE 7.0 (or above) which supports dual cpus, 96khz support and lots of other stuff. you should have a look at the specs and the "whats new in version 7" stuff on digidesigns website and decide if its really worth it for you.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:36 pm

out of tune wrote:digi 002 has the same amount of I/O as 001 (8 analog I/O, lightpipe I/O. SPDIF I/O) only it has 4 preamps instead of 2. integration of your mackie should be identical.
benefits of the 002 are that you get PTLE 7.0 (or above) which supports dual cpus, 96khz support and lots of other stuff. you should have a look at the specs and the "whats new in version 7" stuff on digidesigns website and decide if its really worth it for you.
i've been wondering the same as well. been on 5.2.1 os9 with a digi 001 for like 5 years now. Is there that much of an upgrade going to digi 002 on os 10 with PT 7? the one bad thing is losing all my plugins.

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

Post by Garthplinko » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:17 pm

You won't lose any of your plugins - unless for some reason they wouldn't work in OS X? dunno.

I did the upgrade and I'm pleased. One of the things that I like best about the software upgrade is the free plug ins that come w/ it (the EQ III is much better than the EQ II as far as flexibility). the 002 has more mic pres (and better quality from my understanding) and you can do the Black Lion Audio mod to the 002 which I hear turns it into a really solid piece of gear.

BUT - and I don't know if this is the case w/ this particular jump but new software revisions are prone to bloating. Since you're using OS9, that suggests to me that you're using an older computer. As such, you may not be able to get as much horsepower out it. OS9 is much leaner than OS 10.4 (which you would need to use PT 7.whatever) as well and less processor intensive...such is the way of things.

If you're happy with what you have then keep working - if you want to try new stuff, it'll cost ya - although you can save a fair chunk by doing the trade-in.

I personally hate that they discontinued software upgrades for the 001. I had one and was fine with it - it's not that the unit itself is obsolete, Digi just wanted to make more money by forcing people to buy the new hardware. I think that's a shitty business model.
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:23 pm

The converters alone on the 002 are worth the exchange.

Now, stock they're not great. But definitely a step up from the 001. And with the black lion mod.... the smear is pretty much gone.

As far as going from ptle 5.xx to 7 software-wise.... many benefits that are real with 7.

Handy things like the transport controls at the top of the edit window...better time shifting plugins. better compression and eq plugs. and few more editing tools from tdm, i think... and tons more midi options (so i'm told)....

But most importantly is that it's a better sounding conversion box.

But i HATE the fact that they took away the ability to play with the input/output gain of each channel in the setup menu.

Bottom line: if you're going to stay in the protools le universe... it's not a bad deal.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Garthplinko wrote:You won't lose any of your plugins - unless for some reason they wouldn't work in OS X? dunno.

I did the upgrade and I'm pleased. One of the things that I like best about the software upgrade is the free plug ins that come w/ it (the EQ III is much better than the EQ II as far as flexibility). the 002 has more mic pres (and better quality from my understanding) and you can do the Black Lion Audio mod to the 002 which I hear turns it into a really solid piece of gear.

BUT - and I don't know if this is the case w/ this particular jump but new software revisions are prone to bloating. Since you're using OS9, that suggests to me that you're using an older computer. As such, you may not be able to get as much horsepower out it. OS9 is much leaner than OS 10.4 (which you would need to use PT 7.whatever) as well and less processor intensive...such is the way of things.

If you're happy with what you have then keep working - if you want to try new stuff, it'll cost ya - although you can save a fair chunk by doing the trade-in.

I personally hate that they discontinued software upgrades for the 001. I had one and was fine with it - it's not that the unit itself is obsolete, Digi just wanted to make more money by forcing people to buy the new hardware. I think that's a shitty business model.
really? plugs for my os9 system will transfer over? all my bomb factory ones?

I'm using a mac G4, dual 800 with a gig of ram. Is that computer too outdated for PT 7? I boot up on OS9 for PT and boot up on OSX for other computer use.

what is "software bloating"?

I'd just like to take advantage of having two processors in my computer and moving to PT 7 would help with that if i'm reading right. i'm computer dumb.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:27 pm

norton wrote:The converters alone on the 002 are worth the exchange.

Now, stock they're not great. But definitely a step up from the 001. And with the black lion mod.... the smear is pretty much gone.

As far as going from ptle 5.xx to 7 software-wise.... many benefits that are real with 7.

Handy things like the transport controls at the top of the edit window...better time shifting plugins. better compression and eq plugs. and few more editing tools from tdm, i think... and tons more midi options (so i'm told)....

But most importantly is that it's a better sounding conversion box.

But i HATE the fact that they took away the ability to play with the input/output gain of each channel in the setup menu.

Bottom line: if you're going to stay in the protools le universe... it's not a bad deal.
are the outputs at least all +4? bugs the feck out of me that on the 001 that outs 1-2 are +4 while 3-8 are -10.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:11 pm

[quote="trodden
are the outputs at least all +4? bugs the feck out of me that on the 001 that outs 1-2 are +4 while 3-8 are -10.[/quote]

the Digi 002 has switches on each pair of outputs for +4/-10. Can you not also switch the digi 001 in the setup/hardware menu item? Maybe its only levels. can't remember.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:36 pm

trodden wrote:
out of tune wrote:digi 002 has the same amount of I/O as 001 (8 analog I/O, lightpipe I/O. SPDIF I/O) only it has 4 preamps instead of 2. integration of your mackie should be identical.
i've been wondering the same as well. been on 5.2.1 os9 with a digi 001 for like 5 years now. Is there that much of an upgrade going to digi 002 on os 10 with PT 7? the one bad thing is losing all my plugins.
i think its worth it to upgrade to the 002 and then get the black lion mod, 8 channels of great IO for pro tools. but i am gonna wait until everyone dumps their 002 for the 003...002 with black lion converters and a dual CPU PC is all i could every imagine needing.... digi 002 isnt evern that much now but itll be even cheaper later....

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

Post by Garthplinko » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:23 pm

The prospect of an 003 makes me very angry.

There's nothing wrong w/ the 001, or the 002, but Digidesign makes it it so if you want to use the machines you can't upgrade the software past a certain number. My Audio Media III wouldn't use PT past 5.something. My 001 wouldn't go past 6.something. Both are still perfectly viable as interfaces. So what happens? More hardware sent to the landfill because they're deemed "useless" just so Digidesign can turn another buck. Grr. I mean c'mon - I have compressors and preamps that are older than I am and I can't hang on to my interface? (yes, I know I have a choice but I've been using PT since 97 - I really don't want to learn a new piece of software!).

Although I think I may have a shortcut plan for all this...my plan for when/if an 003 comes out (I should just face it that it's "when") then I will track everything using whatever highest revsion of viable software is allowed by the holy of holies at Digidesign but then get like an Mbox 2 or something that's much cheaper and plug that in and use the upgraded version. Plus be able to utilize the portibility of the little unit w/ my laptop. We'll see.

Sorry for the rant. :roll:

Software bloating is just how more code gets piled on top of old code and then programs start to act funny and slower by having more threads and processes running at once it bogs down the CPU. Usually this is less noticable though as processors increase in speed it offsets the lazy "quick-put-this-out-as-soon-as-possible-even-though-it's-barely-a-beta-test" mentality of software companies.
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:49 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:[quote="trodden
are the outputs at least all +4? bugs the feck out of me that on the 001 that outs 1-2 are +4 while 3-8 are -10.
the Digi 002 has switches on each pair of outputs for +4/-10. Can you not also switch the digi 001 in the setup/hardware menu item? Maybe its only levels. can't remember.

Mike[/quote]

naa, 001 is fixed, its the inputs that can be adjusted in the menu. the alesis ai-3 can be switched between +4 and -10 though. just makes gain staging even more inportand with the different variables of output on the 001 depending on which outs you're using.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:58 pm

I've just done this - kept the Digi001 going long after Digi wanted me to - but the cheap dual core mac mini's and the new features in PT 7.1 kept tugging, and the Music Production Kit (48 stereo tracks up from 32 mono, lots o plugins, etc) sealed the deal.

IF you had the Digi001 Factory, all of your plugins WILL be honored in the new system EXCEPT the waves plugs (supertap delay, EQ10, metaflanger and the bonus audiotrack plugin). Waves wants $250 bucks to keep those 4 plugs going until 2008, and more for longer. I laughed in their face and hung up.

The accumulation of new features in Pro Tools finally warranted the upgrade, for my money. YMMV.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:19 am

Im going to keep my 001 until the Profire Lightbridge is M-Powered compatable. It will be nice to use whatever 18 channels of conversion I want. It would be nice to be able to use all 34 ins (if I could afford it) but thats Digi's game I guess.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Re: Is worth it to exchange the Digi 001 for the Digi 002?

Post by Huntlabs » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:08 am

swedishstudios wrote:Right now I'm using a Digi 001 with Pro Tools LE 5.3 connected to Mackie 1402 mixer (for all my inputs). I have been looking at the Digi 002 for a while now becuase of the all the software updates and such, but would it really be worth it to go from 18 inputs/outputs to only 4 with the Digi 002?! Or did I miss something? Is there a way to utilize my Mackie mixer in junction with the Digi 002, as I do now with my Digi 001? Help. :shock:
I've got both, 001 and 002R. The converters / pres in the 001 suck SUCK! But the PCI card seems to run better with fewer errors. My 002R will not run below 256 buffer and gives me 6088 errors all the time. (I'm running on a laptop, XP, not mac, so I don't know how it would work for you.)

Personally I'd upgrade to 6.4, I think it is a free upgrade, all your plugs will still work. 6.4 is the last latest best version for the 001. I use an Octoptre via light pipe for my conversion and I like it just fine. The 001 is stable and doesn't give me any errors. The 002R is just for a mobile recording rig but it pisses me off that it doesn't work as well as I"d like.

I would spend some money on better AD / DA converters for the 001 and be happy with what you have. Doesn't sound like you have been missing the "new" features in PT 7, I know I wasn't.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:31 am

Aquaman wrote:I've just done this - kept the Digi001 going long after Digi wanted me to - but the cheap dual core mac mini's and the new features in PT 7.1 kept tugging, and the Music Production Kit (48 stereo tracks up from 32 mono, lots o plugins, etc) sealed the deal.

IF you had the Digi001 Factory, all of your plugins WILL be honored in the new system EXCEPT the waves plugs (supertap delay, EQ10, metaflanger and the bonus audiotrack plugin). Waves wants $250 bucks to keep those 4 plugs going until 2008, and more for longer. I laughed in their face and hung up.

The accumulation of new features in Pro Tools finally warranted the upgrade, for my money. YMMV.
hmmm i bought my digi 001 along with a blue and white g3, used, as a package from a local studio. It came with a fuckton of plugins and i'm sure alot of them were obtained in ways people frown upon. Its got a bunch of Waves plugs and bombfactory. I figured since i don't have the software disks for all these plugs, they'd be "lost" when i converted to a PT system that works off of OSX. See, i'm completely in idiot world when it comes to the computer. when i bought my G4, i had a friend do all the transfering from the blue and white G3 to the g4. I just sat there and smoked weed.