Spectra Sonics 610 recapping

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Spectra Sonics 610 recapping

Post by earth tones » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:10 am

Has anybody had their 610's recapped? Does Spectra Sonics still operate and service these units...I seem to recall somebody posting that they sent their unit directly to them for recapping/servicing.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:41 am

You might try this in the DIY forum as that's the appropriate place. I do recall that they were still in business though. How's the sound of the unit? Did it used to sound better? What character does it have?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Spectra Sonics 610 recapping

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:49 am

cetanorak wrote:Has anybody had their 610's recapped? Does Spectra Sonics still operate and service these units...I seem to recall somebody posting that they sent their unit directly to them for recapping/servicing.
They are about the easiest things to do yourself, because all the guts live on cards. You can pull a card, re-cap it, then put the card back and do the next one.

I dont know if SS does any servicing. I have never had much lluck with them, and I have owned a pair of 610's for 10 years.

edanderson
gettin' sounds

Post by edanderson » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:17 am

spectra sonics most certainly is still in business, but they are gettin old. if everything is working fine, and you want to do the recap "just because" then you probably can do it yourself. i'm pretty sure the original caps are still available from mouser and others.

if there is anything weird going on, you should probably send it to them. try this number: (801) 392-7531

ed

Seventh Wave Studio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Seventh Wave Studio » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:26 pm

We had two recapped in 2004. A world of difference. They still make the 610, that was news to me.

Awesome compressors.
www.seventhwavestudio.com <----looky

"All we know is all we are"
(misheard lyric) Kurt Cobain

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:41 pm

Seventh Wave...did you recap yourself, via Spectra Sonics or another party? I am sure I could recap these myself, however I am not the most confident electronics amateur. I can solder good but I have never recapped anything. I am going to do some research on that...

I just figured if I am putting close to 2 grand into some compressors that I shouldn't be putting my hands onto their guts. However, I am always up for education.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:07 am

So I sent the 610's back to Spectra Sonics in Ogden, UT. When I initially called, the receptionist stated that the units could be inspected and recapped, that I would just need to ship them in. I inquired on the fee for such service, and she wasn't sure, but claimed that they do so for a minimal charge, and she left it at that.

I boxed them up and shipped them out early last week. Today the same lady called and stated that the 610's were ready to ship and that the cost was $452.00 plus shipping. This was sort of a shock to me. Perhaps this is a minimal fee, and that is what I want some reassurance on. I know others have told me to recap myself, but I chose the factory route. While I cannot regret doing so, the cost kind of surprised me.

She stated that they were recapped and the meter lamps were replaced and it was operating like new. I was told that there would not be a technical document detailing the restoration. I suppose the price is right, when having the original manufacturer look over the devices. If they say that are as good new and my ears are pleased, then the money spent was worth it. I guess this is my welcome to the world of gear maintenance.

modernkicks
alignin' 24-trk

Post by modernkicks » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Seventh Wave Studio wrote:They still make the 610, that was news to me.
WHAT????!!!! :shock: