Convertors, pre's - Upgrading signal path choices?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
resurrected

Convertors, pre's - Upgrading signal path choices?

Post by T-rex » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:45 am

I want to upgrade my signal path as much as possible and between some cash I have and selling some gear I don't use I will have approximately $1500 - $1700.

I usually record live drums and bass di along with a scratch guitar part and overdub everything on to that. I currently have one SCA N72 pre, two EH12AY's and the pre's in my Tascam M520.

The N72 has made the biggest difference to my recordings so far so I am a believer in the importance of pre's. I have decided to definitely build two A12's to add to my SCA rack. After that I have a couple of choices for the money left over:

1.) More SCA Pre's (I get 6 channels of nice pre's)
2.) A Motu HD192 (used- I get 12 channels of nice conversion to replace the 1010lt's)
3.) An Apogee Mini Me (I get two clean pre's with a comp plus great conversion for overdubbing and a great clock for the 1010lt's.)

I am leaning towards the apogee because I really don't want to buy anything else that I will be replacing later. I feel the apogee conversion will be top notch plus I can buy it brand new and if it doesn't float my boat return it. The portability thing is pretty sweet too. But the HD192 is 12 channels of conversion for the same price...

So is it better to have a bunch of good convertors? Or two channels of great conversion along with clocking the 1010's to up their performance a bit? Or should I say screw it, live with my OK delta 1010's for now and build a rack of sca pre's?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
T-rex
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:44 am

Hey T-Rex-

What happened- I thought you were looking at mixers? Anyway- I guess I would go the Apogee route- although I think I recall reading that the Mini-Me's converters/clock isn't the same as what's in the Big Ben/Rosetta or Ad lines, but you may want to double check that info. Do you have access to the MOTU? It sounds like the best thing would be to listen to the N72 through some other conversion to compare- Not a big difference, go the SCA route- big difference go the converter route. The MOTU would be the 3rd choice for me for the reason you mentioned. I am currently using the RME ADI-8 Pro, and I'm thinking about converters again...

I hope this is of some help, but I'm sure you already have thought everything I've said.

Good luck!

-Josh

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:41 pm

the MOTU HD192s are really nice, especially if you get the Black Lion Audio Mod. I have two, and had the both modded and they sound awesome. They sound almost as good as my Crane Song Spider converters (which is the master word clock for the MOTUs). The metering on the MOTUs is first rate. Remember, with the MOTUs you are also upgrading the D/A. If you are mizing out of the box, this adds up to a huge improvement (A/D and D/A upgrade).

good luck
mike

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:09 pm

Hey JDJ,

Yeah I was going to mention the mixer thing but I didn't want to make the post any longer! As much as I WANT a new console right now, I really can't afford one. So I have been really trying to look at my signal chain from mic to convertor to DAW to mixdown. I can do good work mixing ITB even though I enjoy working on a console a bit more. But what I can't do as much is capture the sounds as well as I would like.

So my current plan is to just work on the front end as much as possible and keep mixing some ITB and some OTB. After I get the the front end a little more solid I will concentrate on getting a new console.

Yeah, financially it makes so much more sense to go with the HD192. $250 for the mod isn't that bad at all, I thought it was more. I had always thought I would eventually get an HD192 and a 24i/o to use with a 32 channel console.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:13 pm

T-rex wrote: Yeah, financially it makes so much more sense to go with the HD192. $250 for the mod isn't that bad at all, I thought it was more. I had always thought I would eventually get an HD192 and a 24i/o to use with a 32 channel console.
or even better, 2 HD192s and a 2408 (w/black lion mod also). That's what I've been running and it's great. The 2408s REALLy open up with the mod. Like from unusable to nice (vtw, this D/A only.. i don't use the A/D on ti because of the Crane Song and HDs). The 2408 is also how i get the lighpipe from my Crane Song into my DAW, so it's also nice because you can add high end converters and use the 2408 for it's digital inputs.

mike

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:05 pm

Thanks alot for the info Mike. Everything I have read on the Black Lion mod today seems pretty positive.

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:21 am

My 002r would have had the BLA mod yesterday. Man I'm excited to get it back. No phone calls yet so I assume nothing blew-up.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:46 am

toddjal wrote:My 002r would have had the BLA mod yesterday. Man I'm excited to get it back. No phone calls yet so I assume nothing blew-up.
I just got my 828mkii back a few days ago and A/B tests with my stock 828mkii leave me with a big smile on my face. The mod sounds amazing.

Jeff

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:02 pm

Once you guys sent your stuff out, how long was the turnaround? BTW I rescind my previous MOTU opinion after reading more on the Black Lion stuff (although I haven't heard any).

Thanks,

-J

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:04 pm

JdJ wrote:Once you guys sent your stuff out, how long was the turnaround? BTW I rescind my previous MOTU opinion after reading more on the Black Lion stuff (although I haven't heard any).

Thanks,

-J
About 8 days roundtrip. I sent mine to them via FedEx 2-Day (NJ to Chicago).

My 828mk2 sounds amazing now.

Jeff

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Thanks Jeff-

That's very enticing!

-J

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:05 pm

Good to hear the praises of BLA still floating around the board. I was contemplating re-scheduling my early December 002r mod since I've got some recording booked, but screw it - I think I'll bite the bullet for this session, rent in a few good pres and maybe a clock for my Echo Layla, then dump the session into PT when my digi gets back. Oh joy.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com