Bass Guitar Neck stuff

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Bass Guitar Neck stuff

Post by amishsixstringer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:37 pm

Yo, I have a Mexican Jazz Bass from Fender that has a pretty wicked bowed neck. It's only a couple years old and it's been like this forever. The truss rod seems to be set really tight already, and I'm afraid I'll break it with much more force. It's so warped that any tiny bit of adjustment I could get won't do anything anyhow. With all the string tension off it's straight. I have heard of putting shims under the neck where it meets the body to angle it a bit and perhaps fix some of the action, but it seems like this could kill sustain. The bass sounds...eh decent, but it's what I have right now, and I'm a guitar player, so I tend to care to my gibsons and marshall stuff before the jazzy. I don't really want to buy a neck. Is there anything I can do? Thanks

Neil

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:18 pm

Sell it on ebay. "plays better than my original 1962 J-Bass. Straight neck, good action."

Catfish
gettin' sounds

Post by Catfish » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:31 pm

Is the truss rod tight when the strings are off?
Try taking the strings off, loosen the truss nut and then tighten it back up to see if it is just a bad spot in the threads.

Catfish.................

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:11 pm

you could spend a few $$$ to have a competent luthier do a heat treatment to straighten the neck back out. In my experience this works great. I've had it done to 2 of my guitars that had slightly warped necks when I bought them... now they're golden.

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:16 am

Shims will not help a bowed neck.

Is the truss-rod adjustment on this neck done at the heel or at the headstock? If heel, remove the neck from the body.

Enlist the help of a friend.

Sit down. Holding the ends of the neck, with the fretboard facing away from you, put the center of the neck against your knee and pull the ends toward you. You should be bending the neck so as to induce "negative relief."

Now have your friend turn the truss rod adjuster. Not too much.

If he still encounters significant resistance, give up. You can try the heat treatment suggested by brad347, but it may cost more than the neck is worth. Perhaps a replacement neck would be a better deal.

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:18 am

brad347 wrote:you could spend a few $$$ to have a competent luthier do a heat treatment to straighten the neck back out. In my experience this works great. I've had it done to 2 of my guitars that had slightly warped necks when I bought them... now they're golden.
I was just gonna say that!

damnit! :D
off somewhere listening.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:02 pm

be glad it's not like the MIJ Jazz i bought in '92.

it's rippled like a candle left in the sun and NO amount of adjusting will fix it.

still playable and in tune, just not easy to play.

at all.

in fact, i really $hould replace the neck.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca