Purchasing a used copy of ProTools M-Powered precautions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Purchasing a used copy of ProTools M-Powered precautions?

Post by BeepBeep » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:12 pm

Am I taking a chance by buying a used copy of M-Powered? It's got the iLok. I'm not really up on how these things work. Do I have to worry about it being registered or anything like that?

Thanks

Kevin S
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kevin S » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:10 am

With Digidesign's stuff you need to be registered to get anything from them. Upgrades, hardware exchanges and or waranty.

I took a chance and bought a used mbox, it's unregestered and I can't register it because I need a Receipt with the S/N included of that unit. I unpluged my broken Digi001 and hooked up the mbox and could work again like new.

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:34 am

So it sounds like I'll be okay unless I want to upgrade. Anyone else have experience with this?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:49 pm

yeah, besides the i-Lok, you need the original manual as it usually has the super-secret activation code on the cover (or inside cover). with that activation code, you would be able to download patches/updates, etc but w/o it you get nothing. at least thats how it is with the the non-M PTLE.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:30 pm

I know digidesign requires a transfer of ownership form to be completed and mailed to them, but I don't believe M-audio does. Just make sure it's un registered and you should be fine.

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 am

Even if it is registered (I have m-powered- I don't remember if I had to register it) the person you bought it from can fill out the transfer of ownership form. I also don't remember needing to put in a serial in order to upgrade to PT7 LE, I think I just had to buy it. I was registered as the owner of the mbox at the time, but I don't remember it being an issue in the software upgrade.

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:09 am

Cool thanks guys. I already passed on that deal, but I need to know for future possibilities.

The unit in question was already on it's second owner and he did not know if the first guy registered it or not.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:21 pm

You don't need to do anything to upgrade to PT M-Powered 7.1 except for an iLok with a valid license to run PT M-P 6.8 or greater. All you have to do is download the FREE 7.1 update here:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/P ... l#download

And then install it on your machine, plug in the iLok, and run the program. It's that easy. I have PT M-P 7.1 installed on three different machines (two PCs and one Mac--all three using the same iLok running on one machine at a time), and I never had to register anything except for the very first time when I signed up on the M-Audio website to get an authorization for my iLok.

Contrast that to having had to PURCHASE every +0.1 release of PT HD since before time. That sucks!