best all tube amp for a synth?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kwote
alignin' 24-trk

best all tube amp for a synth?

Post by kwote » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:26 pm

i've been looking for an alltube amp for a synth but haven't had any luck.

want to avoid solid state like the plague. :lol:

any help appreciated.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:34 pm

your synth is solid state..

you should probably deep six that first then
if you want to avoid solid state..

definitely want to stay away from those
horrible solid state Neve amps..

I'm teasing you a little here..

the deciding factors to go tube or SS are soley in the individual amp and its design, sound, and build..not if it happens to be tube or SS..that is ridiculous..

people are going to need to know if your looking for
an amp for live performance, like a keyboard amp or DI/pre/line amp for recording, etc. before anyone can give you an answer..the question is
a bit unclear..
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:35 pm

The best tube amp I've ever played synth through was an Ampeg B-15 Portaflex. Of course, it had an original 60's JBL 15" that was probably 90% responsible for the magic.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

kwote
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kwote » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Toolshed of Death wrote:your synth is solid state..

you should probably deep six that first then
if you want to avoid solid state..

definitely want to stay away from those
horrible solid state Neve amps..

I'm teasing you a little here..

the deciding factors to go tube or SS are soley in the individual amp and its design, sound, and build..not if it happens to be tube or SS..that is ridiculous..

people are going to need to know if your looking for
an amp for live performance, like a keyboard amp or DI/pre/line amp for recording, etc. before anyone can give you an answer..the question is
a bit unclear..
mainly for home recording but also for live use. i want something versatile that i can run low to high frequencies and get a good result. why tube amp? well all the research i've done regarding amps has led me to believe they're warmer and nicer on the ears.

but i don't see what's so hard to understand. best tube amp for a synth kinda says it all imo. the other guy in this thread didn't have a problem answering.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Jan Hammer used to send his moog through a Marshall (maybe he still does). A while ago I put a quadrasynth through my Marshall half-stack (a mid late 70's super 100 watt), and it did the trick, although you had to turn it up ridiculously loud. It actually made some of the cheezy organ patches sound like the B3 in deep purple (come to think of it, I think they may have put their b-3s through marshalls, although I'm just guessing).

kwote
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kwote » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:54 pm

AstroDan wrote:The best tube amp I've ever played synth through was an Ampeg B-15 Portaflex. Of course, it had an original 60's JBL 15" that was probably 90% responsible for the magic.
sounds cool. i've heard bass amps are really good for synth work. but when i've looked for an all tube bass amp i haven't found anything.

i guess best isn't necessarily all i want to hear. pretty much any and all options people are cool to provide.

thanks.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

kwote
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kwote » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:56 pm

hammertime wrote:Jan Hammer used to send his moog through a Marshall (maybe he still does). A while ago I put a quadrasynth through my Marshall half-stack (a mid late 70's super 100 watt), and it did the trick, although you had to turn it up ridiculously loud. It actually made some of the cheezy organ patches sound like the B3 in deep purple (come to think of it, I think they may have put their b-3s through marshalls, although I'm just guessing).
any current marshall models worth lookin up?
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:47 pm

Unless you need to put your patches through 100 watts of distortion, why not try an Epiphone Valve Junior? If you don't like it, you're only out like $140 and you could probably resell it for most of your purchase price. They get really loud for 5 watt ampsas well.
If this is mostly for recording, couldn't you just run it through a tube preamp or di too?
________
ASIAN PETITE
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:55 pm

I wonder how an Emery Sound would work on keyboards. They have a bass amp in the works.

Probably pretty rad.
Pee-wee: [falls off bike after attempting tricks] I meant to do that!

kwote
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kwote » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:05 pm

kojdogg wrote:Unless you need to put your patches through 100 watts of distortion, why not try an Epiphone Valve Junior? If you don't like it, you're only out like $140 and you could probably resell it for most of your purchase price. They get really loud for 5 watt ampsas well.
If this is mostly for recording, couldn't you just run it through a tube preamp or di too?
i wanna keep my options for live open cuz i can't really afford two amps right now.

the epiphone huh? do you think if it was mic'd properly it'd work out in a live setting?
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:06 pm

http://www.motion-sound.com/ makes some good keyboard amps..

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:11 pm

Alot of the newer Marshalls get a little slammed here and elsewhere. I don't know. I've heard great things about the tone of the reissues (1987x, JCM-800), not so great things about the reliability (mostly hearsay). It's really difficult to find an old marshall that hasn't been "modded" with those famous hair-band mods, or tampered with in some way that screws with the reliability of the amp. Personally, I've heard some recordings done with some of these 18watt DIY amps, and they sound phenomenal. I've heard that Marhall makes their own 18watt amp that everybody likes, but it's pretty expensive.
kwote wrote:
hammertime wrote:Jan Hammer used to send his moog through a Marshall (maybe he still does). A while ago I put a quadrasynth through my Marshall half-stack (a mid late 70's super 100 watt), and it did the trick, although you had to turn it up ridiculously loud. It actually made some of the cheezy organ patches sound like the B3 in deep purple (come to think of it, I think they may have put their b-3s through marshalls, although I'm just guessing).

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Come to think of it, even the JCM 2000s sound pretty decent. I see alot of big bands using these amps (Clapton, Los Loney Boys, etc), and they sound pretty good, a bit more abrasive in the upper mids than vintage marshalls, but that might be better for cutting through in a mix, I don't know. I've put my Rhodes through a bunch of my amps. It doesn't seem to like my Boogie Tremo-verb, although I put it through a leslie and it sounded pretty good at high volumes. One more thing, if you want alot of low end, you need pretty big speakers. My rhodes through my Brown face Fender vibroverb, sounds okay, but the 2 10 inch speakers weren't big enough for the lowest notes (the leslie had low end to die for). Your speakers are going to be just as important as your amp, both the size and the wattage rating. Personally, I like the sound of marshalls through vintage 30s (I had Greenbacks that I didn't like so much).
hammertime wrote:Alot of the newer Marshalls get a little slammed here and elsewhere. I don't know. I've heard great things about the tone of the reissues (1987x, JCM-800), not so great things about the reliability (mostly hearsay). It's really difficult to find an old marshall that hasn't been "modded" with those famous hair-band mods, or tampered with in some way that screws with the reliability of the amp. Personally, I've heard some recordings done with some of these 18watt DIY amps, and they sound phenomenal. I've heard that Marhall makes their own 18watt amp that everybody likes, but it's pretty expensive.
kwote wrote:

kwote
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kwote » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:39 pm

i think i was lookin at this before

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MOTKT80

originally i was gonna get the fender blues junior

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... =100228021

but then i had friends telling me that a bass amp or keyboard amp would be more appropriate. nice tube on that Motion amp.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:56 pm

Yeah, keyboards and guitars put out pretty different signals. Most guitar amps will distort much sooner with a keyboard plugged into them. My friend used to play his Moog theremin through a Vox Pathfinder Stack, though, and it sounded pretty great.

There's a solid state Vox bass amp that we tested the theremin on, too, and that one sounded even better. Can't remember the model though.