Speaker Help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

traveen
pluggin' in mics

Speaker Help

Post by traveen » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:20 pm

I need some help/..

I'm cleaning up my junk room and preparing to get rid of a bunch of crap and I came across something I got years ago and never did anything with.
Some Wharfedale speakers from the mid 60's. 12" 8" and some tweeters and crossovers.

At one time someone told me that people liked the 12" speakers for guitar cabinets.. does anyone have any knowledge on them?.. Worth anything or should I just toss them?

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

worthless or worth less?

Post by nopenopenope » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:17 pm

everything is worth something.

possibly keep them for re-amping? using them for "woofers-as-mics"?

traveen
pluggin' in mics

Post by traveen » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Yeah,, well it's that kind of thinking that led to the "junk room".. stuff I planned to do something with later..

I have too many speakers and guitar parts, pickups..,, Hammond organ/Leslie parts,, crap laying everywhere. Stuff I just am not going to anything with.

I can separate most of the crap from good stuff, but these speakers I am unsure of..

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what a 12" mic/speaker would sound like.. anyone ever do that?

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:24 am

I did the 12" speaker as a mic thing with an old speaker I got out of a messed up home stereo full range cabinet. On it's own it more of a special effect mic, but mixed with another it sounds really great on bass amps and kick drums. Works for some guitar sounds. Tons of low end and rolls off pretty quickly starting around 600Hz (I can see where a smaller speaker would be a better choice). Blend in a mic with some of the mids and high end you are looking for to compliment and it sounds pretty good. I got the idea after seeing the Yamaha Subkick in a magazine when it first came out and thought "it can't be that hard to make", so I bought a cheap drum shell and temporarily mounted the 12" in it with some foam. I've since sold the drum shell, but the speaker has a permanent place in my mic cabinet even though I don't use it much.
There was a topic around here a while ago about different ways of setting these up and Professor made a really interesting comment about a good way of mounting the speaker to get the most out of it. I'll see if I can find it in case you are interested.

Worth the experimentation.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...