computer in another room?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jzahos
gettin' sounds

computer in another room?

Post by jzahos » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:25 am

Hi all,

What options are there for controlling the PC remotely *(wired)* in another room(30-50ft), to reduce noise while monitoring? I'm assuming that like most cables/application combinations, there are length limits for monitor, mouse and keyboard cables.

Are there ethernet-based (or similar) devices for this purpose?

Thanks!
Jeff Z.
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
www.jeffzahos.com

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:12 pm

The frontier designs Tranzport goes pretty far. Mine works through a couple of walls -- not quite 50 feet. You could probably extend the distance as far as a USB cable can go, and then some. Everybody loves them. It's one of the cooler things I own.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:55 pm

I use extension cables for mouse/keyboard/monitor because my tower is in the closet. Works great, and you could daisy-chain them for however long you want. The monitor is a little "ghostly" but you get used to it.

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:15 pm

I have my computer in the next room and I just have two 6' extension cables daisy chained for both the mouse and keyboard. For the monitor I run a 15' extension cable. My Aardvark Q10 and 24/96 interfaces will both work with a longer cable and I'm running a 15' for both of them with no problems. I also have a USB hub in the room with me so that must be a 15' or so to the next room.

The only one that you need to be especially careful with is the monitor cable. Try to buy one that is triple shielded you should be able to get away with 15 to 20' there. Trust me.... the extra cost of a triple shielded monitor extension cable is worth it.

-Ryan

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09 pm

I also recently had some ground hum issue because of a USB hub/switch between 2 PCs in different rooms on different circuits.

I haven't quite figured out the specific source of it but the PC outside of the studio was connected with a combo VGA/USB extension cable 25' long, the monitor cable went direct to my switching monitor and I used a USB switch-hub to use one mouse/keyboard to run both PC's. The noise (gnd loop?) disappeared when I unplugged the other PC's USB cable, after much experimentation, was manifest between the USB ground and analog audio cables coming from the sound card. I didn't want to use a KVm switch and may use a different method, iso transformer on the audio path, or run power extension from same circuit, iso transformer on PC...not sure

The idea seemed easy up front but maybe I need to link the 2 PC's in a different method...

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Re: computer in another room?

Post by runrunrun » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:45 pm

jzahos wrote:Hi all,

What options are there for controlling the PC remotely *(wired)* in another room(30-50ft), to reduce noise while monitoring? I'm assuming that like most cables/application combinations, there are length limits for monitor, mouse and keyboard cables.

Are there ethernet-based (or similar) devices for this purpose?

Thanks!
Jeff Z.
is it noise like hard drives and fans from your PC that are bugging you? you can swap out parts for quieter ones if you want to keep your PC in the same room. suspending your hard drives with elastic cuts down on the vibrations and its pretty much free. check out http://www.silentpcreview.com for more about this type of stuff. you can make a pretty big difference for quite cheap, just suspend the HDs and replace some noisy fans.