how to troubleshoot a tape machine?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

how to troubleshoot a tape machine?

Post by runrunrun » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:13 pm

i have a Revox b77 and pr99 that both arent working. they both seems to have issues with the electronics, no signal will go to or from the tape. they both FF, REW, play just fine but no signal! also one has burned out bulbs, but i assume this isnt the problem.

is there anything that I can do to try and find the problem, ive looked for loose connections and there dont appear to be any. can i do some continuity testing with a multimeter? i dont want to take it to a tech if its something simple, but if its more complex I will.

is this maybe something obvious that I am just not noticing?

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:54 pm

anyone?

slochldrnplayin
ass engineer

Post by slochldrnplayin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:47 am

That's like asking what's wrong with my car... It could be a million different things. Do you have a service manual for these machines? If not find one quick. It will make your life a bit easier and it's going to give you all the specs for your machine. First check all the voltages and make sure they are all good. I've never worked on the decks you have, but I know on the two I have there are four and five different power supplies in each deck. Make sure all of your supplies are working and strong. If in doubt about a supply just rebuild it. Mouser and Digikey are good for some parts, and a parts deck wouldn't be a bad idea to have either.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Yeah...you'll need to dig up the owners manual & schematics before you can do anything really.

The MCI's won't pass signal & do "weird" things when the LED's on the locators burn out, might be a place to start looking for problems. Might not solve anything either.

Good luck!
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com