Gear you miss: stuff that you shouldn't have sold

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Gibson Ripper Bass.
50's Gretsch hollowbody electric.
Fender Duosonic w/tweed case, dead mint.

all lucked into cheap, all sold or traded because I didn't have enough scratch to keep them *and* pick up gear that was appropriate for my thrash band.

Ibanez 'lawsuit' explorer, dead mint.

worst. trade. ever. traded it, a Gibson SG and a Vantage Flying V for a Samson Wireless system, so I could go running around the club. stupid stupid stupid. last time I saw one for sale, it was beat to shit and still $1500.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom, black & silver sunburst.

traded for the Pearl drumkit that I still have, and love... but that Les Paul was sweet.

Custom-made hardwood Stratocaster.

steered a friend's wife towards this for a birthday or wedding gift or some such. I should have copped it for myself; heavy hardwood (heavier than my Les Paul), and everything except the electronics & the bridge appeared to be handmade. $150 that I should have spent - I don't think he plays anymore, it's probably been in his closet for the last 10 years.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:02 pm

traded a 73 fender tele custom for a newish gibson melody maker that I ended up trying to refinish and ended up screwing it up. Incredibly bad call.

also traded a 1960s Guild T-100 for a cheesy "HM" strat with an EMG.

Traded in a Gretsch Chet Atkins 2x12 combo amp plus cash for a Marshall Jubilee 1/2 stack.

Oof, it feels like I just went to confession here.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:17 pm

Yammaha's DX7 little brother DX100 Loved that little thing sold it for $60 dumb move if you ask me.

Take a look.....http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Soundmonkey
gettin' sounds

Post by Soundmonkey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Nice thread, Although perhaps some memories shouldn't be dredged up,

I miss my Oberheim/Viscount OB12.
I sold it because it wasn't at all what I was expecting, and I was moving and It's big. It's supposed to be a VA, but instead sounded a bit like a dying computer. The midi was buggy. It would sometimes lock up and when sequenced, notes would occasionally trigger late.

I miss it because it was big and blue and beautiful and had the awesomest interface of any synth I've ever used and because I now realise how *@#%ing cool It sounded(like a dying computer).

Now they're rare and expensive. :(

-Matt

Soundmonkey
gettin' sounds

Post by Soundmonkey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:34 pm

:cry: So. . . Beautiful. . . .

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:
Randy wrote:In 1982 I bought a Bassman Blonde for $150 and used it for bass. (The store I got it from was selling the blackface ones for $225) I sold it in 1986 for $170 to get a Peavey TNT130. It was an improvement in terms of volume, but that's it.

I sold a Tascam M106 mixer to buy Deck recording software for my Mac. The mixer was kind of noisy and sort of useless, except for the incredible direct bass sound it gave. I wish I still had it. All the ones I see used are trashed beyond usefulness.
interesting! i've got one kicking around. maybe i'll try it on direct bass, and if i don't like it maybe you'd want it? then i can write a 'wish i still had...' post of my own about it a few years down the road.

mines in good shape btw.

j-no
If you don't want it, I'll buy it. That board has some mojo, best used sparingly.

But before you go selling it, try putting the volume knob on the bass at about one-half. If I remember correctly, the volume knob was more of a tone control when going direct on that board.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:07 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:(I was recently wed back then... now my wife wishes I'd get rid of a few more things)
funny how that works, eh?

*looks silently at own wife casing studio room "clutter"*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:20 pm

my "seller's remorse" list:

Peavey DEP 800 rackmount DDL
(800ms, CV patchpoints on the back, 8 bits, sounded great)

Ross Chorus

'64 Fender blackface Princeton in near mint condition
(traded in 1991 for a VCA compressor that i barely use now...i feel sick when i think about losing this amp!)

MIJ Fender Stratocaster
(candy blue w/rosewood fretboard, played like butter and sounded even better! thinking about losing this one also makes me feel sick.)

SCI Six Trak
(sold for $200 in '89 cos i was broke)

i could go on (an Oberheim, more Fender amps, various pedals and guitars) but i don't want to get suicidal tonight.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:36 pm

I at one time sold everything I owned. the whole studio! vintage guitars, ac-30's, BF deluxe's, tweed twin, tweed deluxe, 68 gold top LP\with 50's PAF, wurly, D6 clav, 72 tele deluxe, 72 tele thinline, BF twin, Ludwig black beauty, should I go on???

drugs are bad.. umm kay.
Last edited by Slider on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:04 am

Ouch.

I get bummed out thinking of the Marshall non masters I recently sold. Now I am forced to hang on to a JCM 900 to sort of remember the Marshalls I used to have.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:46 am

Nothing.

Really, I am a pack rat.

I have two identical Marshal Silver Jubilees because I bought one as a spare when still gigging, and can't bear to lose them; they do sound a bit different, but have different tubes in them... And about 8 other amps, all but one in my bedroom. (Yes, I am divorced! :twisted: )

In my garage I have a Rhodes 73 Suitcase with amp; I play keys to the extend of learning the song, then forgetting it within an hour of a good take.

I have a milkcrate of unused pedals.

I have multiple stereos throughout the house, as well as about 30 cheapish guitars, and 4 basses including a fretless MIJ "P" that I can only play after warming up for an hour on a regular "P".

I have about 2,500 CD's, maybe more, about 50 music DVD's (I still haven't watched that AIC Unplugged, and I recall likeing the show) and a couple thousand LP's boxed in the (unheated) garage.

I think maybe I should get on that TV show where they help you unclutter your life, but then I would have regrets! :roll:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:24 pm

Maybe you should go in the business of offering counseling for us sell it cheap 'becuz' people.

Whenever I buy something cool or sell something cool I swear to whom ever is near by that I'll keep everything from here on out. Not a chance.

I had a 78 fender Bronco that I wish I still owned and I really miss my Dan Armstrong Bass. That Fender Bronco took on a super guitar persona plugged into one of those reissue Marshall 50w non master amps. I sold the 50w to some guy who replaces everything with point to point wiring, so I don;t feel so bad about that one.

I also miss a cheapo Soundcraft Spirit Studio LC 16x8x2 that I sold extremely cheap.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:33 am

humm..

i miss the mint tascam 246 i had before i knew anything...now my 244 is right there, recording away, happily ignoring its faith as soon as i run across another mint 246...which, in time, will be at the exact same place the 244 is now, as soon as i run into a mint 388 and gather the patience to maintain it :roll:

i trully miss my dearmond starfire special...

i miss my jazzmaster reissue but not as much as the starfire..

i miss a gibson (norlin era) J50 i had a few years ago...my first gibson...didn't sound anything like one, but had shimering highs and a great bell like tone..a mahogony guitar with a maple sound. i should've kept that one.

i'll miss my martin 00015 when i sell it, of that i'm sure. :roll:

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:24 am

Soundmonkey wrote::cry: So. . . Beautiful. . . .

did a session with one of these about 3 weeks ago, sounded amazing, a monster

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:24 am

my list of shame:

Stephens 2" 24 track
Calrec PQ15 Averill mic pres
3m M56 2" 16 track
Neotek Series 1 console
1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe