using aux send/return with compressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gutsofgold
pushin' record

using aux send/return with compressor

Post by gutsofgold » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:05 pm

hey i'm still getting acquainted with my Soundcraft M12 board and what I am trying to do is run a dbx 266 compressor into the aux send/return channel. i can't for the life of me figure out what exact would be the aux return.

here is an outline of the board...
http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zz ... bbd574.jpg

in the top right corner are the four aux channels. the top 1/4" output I am running into the dbx input. where would the dbx output go into?

also, after that, i turn up the aux master for whatever channel it is on and i also add some of that aux signal into the channel that i want compressed. however, there is a fader for each aux channel is well, what purpose does this serve?

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:10 pm

oh and before i look like an idiot, i see the rca jacks labeled "Return" but I am under the impression that a compressor wouldn't return it's signal into rca jacks.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:18 pm

generally you don't put a compressor on an aux. you use it as an insert. here's a thread I found that explains it some.

http://www.podcastpickle.com/forums/lof ... t6928.html

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:43 pm

that cleared some things up, thanks.

where would i send the "insert" too? the input or outpu of the compressor? or do i use a splitter and send it into both?

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:45 pm

The RCA return is a tape return. There are 4 stereo returns on that board directly under the aux sends.

But it's true, generally, you want to insert a compressor. Unless you're shooting for some sort of parallel compression group...

(EDIT) I see we've crossed paths - You need an insert cable. It's TRS on one side and dual TS on the other. The "TIP" TS plug goes to the input (TIP - To InPut) and the "RING" (ring creates a circle) goes to the output.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:56 pm

perfect!
making progress everyday thanks to people like you, thanks again!

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:57 pm

yeah, you have an insert point on the first twelve channels of your m12, and an insert point before the main outs.

like suggested, you need an insert cable.

the points are cleverly setup on stereo trs jacks, with the tip sending the signal, and the ring returning it.

if you were doing a group compression, you could use one of the aux send, and either return it to the rca "return", or one of the channels on the board. i'd prefer the channel as then you could eq the return as well.

have fun,

frank

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:02 pm

that cleared some things up, thanks.

where would i send the "insert" too? the input or outpu of the compressor? or do i use a splitter and send it into both?
Do you have the manual for this console? Its a boring read but definately a good idea to read it. It should explain every function as well as give examples of how to use in a recording set up as well as a live set up. Most of them do.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:32 am

think of an insert cable as a big y cable.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:04 am

syrupcore wrote:think of an insert cable as a big y cable.
But don't confuse it with a cable that splits one output into two... it's a little different in that it converts the send (insert output to processing) and return (insert input back from processing) on one jack into two separate plugs.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Jonkan
ass engineer

Post by Jonkan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:31 am

I put compressors on aux sends all the time, even when doing FOH. Usually on drums, and electric guitars on two different sends/returns/compressors. It sounds great to me. I do however usually compress the individual drums the usual way also, but i mostly use less compression than i would use if i hadnt used the paralell/aux compressor.

You should probably learn how to use a compressor the regular way though, before messing with parallell compression. Or just mess around, your choice.

/J

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:11 am

So my compressor comes through great now when used as an insert.

However, I am still attempting to get the aux send to work. For testing purposes I have Aux 3 (which is post-fader) being sent to the input of a cranked distortion pedal and coming back into the left channel of the RCA return. The Return Master is turned up, Aux 3 Master is turned up, and I have Aux 3 set to 3/4 on the channel that I have my mic'ed guitar amp running into. I get nothing when I record. Any ideas?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:50 pm

gutsofgold wrote:However, I am still attempting to get the aux send to work. <snip> Any ideas?

hmm. are you recording from the main outs? Can you hear the distortion return in the speakers? Try bringing the distortion back in on a regular channel and see what that does for you.

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:45 pm

i'm actually using the direct out on the channel i have my mic plugged into.

i'll try send the distortion back into another channel.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:16 pm

gutsofgold wrote:i'm actually using the direct out on the channel i have my mic plugged into.
yeah, that would be a problem. the aux returns are getting to that channel at all. inserts are 'inserted' into the channel path. 'aux' is really short for 'auxillary output' - as in, not the main output and not the channels direct output.

if you bring it into another channel, you'll need to record that channels direct output as well.

you'll get it.