Just got an Otari MTR-12, keep or sell?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

colind
audio school

Just got an Otari MTR-12, keep or sell?

Post by colind » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:33 am

Hi,
I just inherited this lovely machine but I don't know if I should try and incorporate it into my setup (MPC3000, mackie 1604, motu 828 mkII into Dp 5 ) or just sell it...
It would be interesting to see what kind of sound improvement I could get for my hip hop and electronica tracks but not sure if it's worth the time investment, etc. vs. benefits to my sound. Any advice? thanks
Colin

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:55 am

um...you could just try it out and see if you like it. crazy, i know...

colind
audio school

um, ok

Post by colind » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:32 am

That might help.... but I don't even want to lug it down to my basement and set it up if it's not even worth learning to use. I've never used anything like it before.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:46 am

Not essential but nice to have, and it will impress people. Whatever the deck adds to the sound it will probably be subtle (Otaris are not particularly "colorful" decks, and your sound sources are digital to begin with). Honestly you might be better off selling it. Just my opinion.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:47 pm

wait. you're telling me you got an mtr-12 for free, in working order, and you don't want to carry it downstairs and try it out? come on, man.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:16 pm

i have heard lots of good things about the mtr-15, its bigger brother, why not try it? there are so many people here that would love to have that machine! if you dont wanna try it, sell it cheap to someone here who will love it!

colind
audio school

Post by colind » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:48 pm

nick_a wrote:wait. you're telling me you got an mtr-12 for free, in working order, and you don't want to carry it downstairs and try it out? come on, man.
Lame, huh? But the thing weighs like 250 lbs. oh well... I'll have to at least give it a try. I'm just so used to small and portable gear that looking at it just kind of intimidates me. At least I have the manual...

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:39 am

colind wrote:
nick_a wrote:wait. you're telling me you got an mtr-12 for free, in working order, and you don't want to carry it downstairs and try it out? come on, man.
Lame, huh? But the thing weighs like 250 lbs. oh well... I'll have to at least give it a try. I'm just so used to small and portable gear that looking at it just kind of intimidates me. At least I have the manual...
You don't want it, it's junk. Are you in the local Los Angeles area? I can get rid of it for you!
beware bee wear

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:49 pm

joeysimms wrote: You don't want it, it's junk. Are you in the local Los Angeles area? I can get rid of it for you!
These aren't the tape machines you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis